Author Topic: 1962 F100 unibody drag truck  (Read 45825 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: 1962 F100 drag truck
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
Nice chassie, And nice wiev outside the garage :o 8)
Where do you live?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »
Thanks Heo. We live in a little place called Glade Park. In western CO. That pic outside was taken last October. We're buried in snow now.
Kevin McCullah

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »
Kevin, I like the looks of those headers. Now if I could get up the gumption to build a set of SST T-bolt headers for my 64 T bolt wagon, I might get it finished! I been looking at one of those plastic header build kits, But the price is a little high for a 1 time build.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
Kevin I get through Grand Junction once going and once coming every year. I always look up at that mountain/plateau that the park/monument is on and think how pretty it must be up there. One of these times I’m going to drive up through there and look around. Low and behold you live up there.
Envy meter pegged.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
Thanks Heo. We live in a little place called Glade Park. In western CO. That pic outside was taken last October. We're buried in snow now.
I like that kind of landscape. Different when you are used to see forrest
in all directions or the open sea

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2019, 09:48:01 PM »
I been looking at one of those plastic header build kits, But the price is a little high for a 1 time build.

We considered one of those header modeling kits too. Then we realized we could buy a whole bunch of 16ga. mandrel bends and make our own modeling kit. We used a super skinny chop saw wheel (.047 I think) to make all the cuts straight and clean. We had a few SNAFU's along the way. Some of the modeling pieces had to be incorporated into the last header we built.
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2019, 10:17:27 PM »
Kevin I get through Grand Junction once going and once coming every year. I always look up at that mountain/plateau that the park/monument is on and think how pretty it must be up there. One of these times I’m going to drive up through there and look around. Low and behold you live up there.
Envy meter pegged.

PM me next time you're passing through, Marc. I'd be happy to show you around. With this govt shut-down, the Colorado National Monument doesn't have any park rangers patrolling it. It's been pretty fun to rip up and down it in my highboy.  ;D
Kevin McCullah

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 10:29:13 PM »
Will do. 8)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »
Envy meter pegged.

PM me next time you're passing through, Marc. I'd be happy to show you around. With this govt shut-down, the Colorado National Monument doesn't have any park rangers patrolling it. It's been pretty fun to rip up and down it in my highboy.  ;D

Wow, an unanticipated benefit to the government shutdown!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »
More progress! We carefully measured and checked everything when we married the trans to the engine. With everything being aftermarket (block, crank, adaptor hub, flexplate and torque converter) we were surprised that it all bolted together and was actually right.

One of the things we wanted to verify before dropping the body back on was the shifter. We chose the Hurst Quarter Stick for the reverse pattern valve body. Click for click we worked from park to 3rd gear. Each shift was dead nuts on. We must be living right.

One of the things we didn't like was the cheesy arm that came in the shifter kit for the C6. It did not want to grab the shaft very positively. Once we got happy about the location of the arm on the shaft, I tack welded it. Done deal.   

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:22:11 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »
Looks very nice, it'll be super seeing it all done and making some noise!..........Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2019, 08:15:16 AM »
Wow it is looking great. Leny Mason

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Will pass em along to dad. We are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

I finally got some time off from work. While I was away, dad has been busy. He put the front clip back on along with the radiator and built a cool little shroud with a couple of cooling fans. The fans came from a mid 90's Taurus. Hopefully they move plenty of air.

We have a working brake system now too. We finished running all new steel brake lines last weekend and vacuum bled the system. We also upgraded to a double sided master cylinder for a bit more safety. The factory emergency brake system works too. We couldn't wait to geek out with the line lock valve so we wired it temporarily to a jumper box. It works great!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:32:50 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2019, 06:46:56 PM »
Super cool.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2019, 05:22:41 PM »
We've been busy with the electrical end of things for several weekends now. I took on the alternator myself while dad sorted out the factory wiring.

Dad assembled a slick little panel for the ignition components with breakers and relays for fans, water pump and fuel pump. He pulled the breakers and relays out of an old Freightliner in his boneyard. Dads ability to make chicken salad out of chicken shit always surprises me.  I took some 18ga plate and made inserts for the stock instrument panel so we could mount switches and gauges.

I picked up a 3G alternator for a 95' Mustang at my local NAPA. It's a 135 amp large frame variety. To convert it to a true one wire alternator I found a conversion voltage regulator on eBay. I also clocked the output post around to a more suitable location. Easy peasy. The crank pulley is a March 7611. It's for a BB Chevrolet so it took some whittling. The lower arm is a Summit G4049B universal alternator arm. I had to cut a few inches off and drill a new hole in it. The belt is a Dayco 5060295 6 rib belt. Credit to Jay for passing along these part numbers to me. It turned out to be a pretty slick alternator assembly.

www.ebay.com/itm/New-Conversion-Voltage-Regulator-Makes-Your-FORD-3G-Alternator-One-1-Wire-Hookup/132286529580?hash=item1ecce4402c:g:mqoAAOSwTHRbex9w:sc:USPSFirstClass!81523!US!-1

The starter kinda screwed us around though. When this FE was in my Highboy, I used a stock type starter with a truck bellhousing and had to grind just a bit on the back screw in freeze plug. Now with a C6, the starter location is way closer to the block. Not even close to working. So we have a CVR starter coming with a smaller, clockable motor. We suspect the Genesis block has some extra beef on it causing our issue. Edit: Just remembered.....The starter mounting holes in the C6 bellhousing and the clearance holes in the shield plate were an issue also. Tolerances are getting stacked somehow. Along with the burly wall on the block. It's quite a bit thicker than a FoMoCo block.

With the electrical end of this project close to completion, we're on to the the fuel system now.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:06:31 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah