Author Topic: 1962 F100 unibody drag truck  (Read 45859 times)

KMcCullah

• View Profile
1962 F100 unibody drag truck
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »
This project has been in the works for a while. My dad and I are doing this one together. We've been working on it for a few months actually.  The whole Photobucket financial sodomy thing has kept me from posting pics. I almost said screw it but decided to not let it get to me. So I'm just getting around to figuring out how to post pics from my phone.

Here's our subject:

Edit - It's going to take me a while but now that I've figured out postimage, I'm going to redo all the pics in this thread.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:03:29 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Re: 1962 F100 drag truck
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:09:35 PM »
This truck has been sitting in dads sagebrush for at least 10 years. He found it in a news paper ad I think. It's been around Western Colorado for a while. I found a local phone book under the seat from 1972. I also found a personal check under the seat from a bank in Pasadena TX. I'm guessing the trucks original owner might have stashed it there. It was folded in half and tucked into the springs on the drivers side. Kinda cool I thought.

Hey check out the rear bumper. I don't know if the dealer had to install the bumper or if it happened at the assembly plant. But it looks pretty cool. And it has steps on the corners. I just saw a Chevy truck commercial advertising the same feature. Took em a while figure that one out. :)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:30:44 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
WOW, that thing looks EXACTLY like one I had about 25 years ago! Same color, same patina, same uni-body style. I LOVED that truck and it is probably the one I most regret selling. Cool old truck! Are you going to restore it or keep it the way it is? I'd be tempted to leave it as is, bodywise.
Edit: Looking closer, I see it has a couple body issues. Nothing serious, but still worth fixing.

BTW, when I clicked on the first picture and hit 'view image', it came up correctly oriented. Sometimes this site is a bit funny that way.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:29:07 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »
The body isn't going to change much. I don't have a pic of the passenger side but it's had some serious southern exposure to the sun. Dad keeps saying, "just look at the patina on this thing!" Lol  We might just shoot a flat clear on it and call it good. It also had some serious rust issues in the floorboards and cab mounts. More pics later.
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 09:34:37 AM »
We swapped tires to get the truck looking right. Kinda set the mood for the project you know? I found a nice pair of M/T drag radials to try out. I've read several stories of rear bumpers tripping the 60' beams with these tires. This would be a fun issue to sort out I think. Lol They barely clear the inside lip of the fender with 10" wheels. We may roll the inside lip up to clear. We don't want to radius around the rear tires if possible.  Keeping the swooped back tin looks better.

We also pulled the front clip to make things more accessible. It had a blown up 250 straight six with a 3 speed. #6 Rod was hanging out of the block. It all came out in one chunk.
The steering column and sector all came out in one chunk too. The sector would have been right in the way of the headers. We've got a plan for a different sector.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:13:11 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 09:59:24 AM »
We scratched our heads for a while on the rust issues. The front cab mounts were completely rotted. The bottom of the hinge pillars had huge holes rusted thru. The floor of cab was just as bad. The Trans tunnel had been butchered to make way for a NP435 also. What we ended up doing is using the floor and firewall out of a '64 3/4 ton Camper Special. This also gave us a taller tranny tunnel with a removable cover. It has some rust too but it's way better than what we had. Check out the 3rd pic down...this is how much the cab fell when we cut the posts.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:39:04 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
We spent quite a bit of time measuring and fitting. I've got a ton of welding to do still but this is about where the project sits at the moment. With plenty of thick tin to deal with, welding should be fairly straightforward. I can't imagine doing this with today's paper thin sheet metal.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:22:18 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »
Nice workmanship!
Bob Maag

steinauge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
Very nice! What engine\trans will you use?

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll let dad know. I did finish the welding last weekend.

I somehow forgot to post a few drive train details. My bad. Here's the details... The motor will be the 504 that I built for my Highboy. Link below:
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=2481.msg23898

The trans will be a C6 roller that I've been working on for a while. With a Broader Pro Tree valve body. I had a local guy build the torque converter. I gave him a copy of the dyno sheet from my last chassis dyno session so he would have an idea where to start with stall RPM. He said he would adjust the stall probono for us. Which is good because we won't be running the fenderwell headers from the last dyno session. Several other things are going to change also, but the headers are the big one. So this should be an interesting process. Lots of variables here.

We're gonna be working on engine/trans mounts the next few weeks. Will post a few pics.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:35:53 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 03:23:14 PM »
I want to see that bad boy when you are done! hell, i want to see it now....

Buddy of mine races up at the strip, i want to set up a grudge match when you get that finished, He is always talking SH!T about my " junk FE "
motor....

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 08:08:06 AM »
Hi I have three of these trucks they are prone to rust, the body mounts and were the floor of the box meets the side panel behind the doors, what front suspension are you going to run  I bought my first one in 1969 I think and still have it, raced it a lot with a 1968 PI 428 it ran great  you will have fun with it I did. Leny Mason

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 09:01:34 AM »
Joey- PM sent.

Leny- Yep lots of weird places for dirt and moisture to settle in these cabs. The passenger side cab corner is rusted just like you're talking about. It would have been so easy for Ford to put some clean out holes in these nooks and crannys to prevent these rust spots.
The front suspension won't change much I don't think. Maybe soften it a bit so it works a little better. The rear is gonna take some time and thought.
Kevin McCullah

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 08:16:41 AM »
Hi, how wide do you think you will need, if I remember right my M/T Stagier Block tires were twelve inches wide, I think you will be surprised that there is no wheel hop at least on mine, the Dana 44 posi axles were the week spot but back then they were cheap all old Ford trucks had them in the junk yards I think I went through twelve my senior year, but I had fun. Leny Mason

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »
Hey Leny, I'm not sure what we're gonna need for tires. No idea at all honestly. I'm a mud guy.  ;D  The drag radials I found looked good enough to start with. Hopefully they don't get hard with age. I think they're two years old already. But like you were saying....a wider tire is easy to do. It's got some big ass wheel wells. I should post a pic of that feature. Factory tubs.

The main reason we started with this truck was that it had a 9inch rear axle. That.... and it had a title. Haha most don't have titles around here. We had several of these trucks to choose from. They all had the Dana 44 axle except this one.
Kevin McCullah

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »
Hi one thing you might look at is putting the spring shackles on the rear of the spring on the front end it helps the handling, I have no idea what they were thinking putting them on the front of the spring it's like pushing a rope. Leny Mason

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »
Hi Leny- We know something has to be done with the front shackles. Doing a shackle swap like you're suggesting makes sense too. They're some worn out puppies.

We reached a good stopping point last weekend and could use some advice. We mated the 504 to the C6 and dropped it between the frame rails so we can get to work on mounts before we strip it all down for sandblasting. We know keeping engine/trans close to the rear axle helps with traction. Traction is king in most motorsports, right?  :) As it sits right now we're against the fire wall. But we think we want to be back another 3 inches or so. This would mean a lot of whittling and fabrication on the fire wall. But is another 3 inches going to really be worth all the work?

We also put the stock steering column back in to see how close it would be to the headers. Not too bad at this point. Another 3 inches back would be doable with some creative tube fab. Better than we thought originally.

What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:37:21 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 04:11:37 PM »
I would say that an additional 3" isn't going to make a big difference.  Probably need to be back 18" to make it worth the trouble of hacking up the firewall.  JMO - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 08:03:27 AM »
I am with Jay, when you move the engine under the firewall every thing gets harder, I work on the new trucks were the engine is under the windshield that makes everything harder, I vote better tires  the body on these flex vary little so traction is good anyway. Leny Mason

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »
Its better to move other heavy things to the rear. On a Mustang
moving the battery to the trunk is like moving the engine 6 inch

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »
We suspected as much. Moving the engine/trans package back 3" is probably not worth the labor. And without a way to weigh the thing to prove it, we better just keep it simple for now. The fuel cell and battery are already going in back. So they should help.

The current A/GAS rules for Dragweek allow the center of the intake to be as far back as the bottom windshield frame. That would move the engine/trans package back another 20" or so. Which would be great, but if/when we drop a 8-71 blower on top, it would be a huge undertaking. But probably necessary with 1200+HP. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Thanks for the input guys. 
Kevin McCullah

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 08:24:13 AM »
Hi, an eight seventy one is the way to go, there is only about ten pounds difference between a six  seventy one, go big and hang on. Leny Mason

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 09:45:57 AM »
Yeah, skip the 3" move as it would not do much. Had a chassis/wheelbase formula I played with long ago but damned if I can find it now. Now that 18" to 20" move would make a difference as others noted.   
Bob Maag

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
Well....it took a while, but the engine and transmission is finally mounted in the frame. Not much to look at really. The plates that are bolted to the block were originally motor mount adaptors for an early 2 bolt block. That's the reason for the flat head screws. Motor mounts used to bolt to the plates. We're trying to decide if we need to connect the motor mount tubes for rigidity. As it is right now there's a crossmember 8" in front of the harmonic balancer and another one directly under the C6 bellhousing. It's a pretty stiff structure as is. What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:35:55 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 06:09:29 AM »
Hi, If it was me I would bring a brace from the frame to the the motor mount , to keep it from moving back and forth if you want to email me I can send you pictures of what We did on my Comet motor mounts. Leny Mason

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »
Hey Leny-- I saw your fabricated motor mounst on your Comet build thread. Now those are some snazzy mounts! We wont have such finery on our chassis. Probably just use a chain and turnbuckle to the front of the head. Gotta dig that hard core chain look.  ;D

Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
We've made some progress lately. The body was lifted off the frame so we could work on setting up the chassis for haulin ass instead of hay. The plan is to get as much fab work completed as possible and then sand blast and paint the rolling chassis. Over the last few weeks dad has implemented some of his 60's hotrod trickery. He has built ladder bars from some mid 60's Chevy truck rear end locator H beams. Hell I don't know the technical term for them. But those trucks had coil springs in the rear so those beams had to be pretty stiff. These particular beams were off of a 3/4 ton so it had some extra plates riveted to the axle mounting spot. Dad ended up cutting those off. The plan is to leave them unattached until ride height and pinion angle is established. And then weld the end of the H beams to the axle housing. The rear axle housing by the way is an early style big bearing housing. The backing plates have 1/2 inch bolts. The tubes are 1/4 wall. Dad's had Mark Williams himself on the horn recently for some axle dimension clarifications. Along with axles dad also ordered a bunch of other goodies. 1350 yokes, spool etc. It should be a fairly stout rear end. Will post a pic when it's done. He also rebuilt the spring packs and left all the overload/helper springs out. 4 total removed. Its a nice limber pack now. We plan to go completely thru the drum brakes and use them until we can upgrade to disks. The drums and shoes looked nearly new. Maybe a .010 step in the drums.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:00:42 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 10:02:27 PM »
 We have changed a few things on the front end too. Since we won't be articulating thru hay fields  with this rig, I started out with shortening up the shock towers about 4". Getting the rivets out was a bitch! I plug welded thru the rivet holes when I welded the towers back on. I also cleaned up the ends of the front cross member. The center of the cross member was hacked up when the straight 6 was adapted to the frame. I patched the holes up and smoothed everything over. I rewelded some of the more sketchy looking factory welds too. Dad made some 2" riser blocks and had some new U bolts made. He also rebuilt the spring packs and put new bushings in. We talked ourselves out of relocating the shackles since we're keeping the stock steering sector and drag link. We punched 13 holes in the axle webbing also. That damned web is 1/2" thick! Oh...and the H beam ladder bars have 13 holes too. Yep we're badasses.   8) Or at least dad is. ;D

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:38:46 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
Progress has been creeping along. We've had the rear end in-and-out several times. The way we did the H-beams was not at all forgiving so it did take some time to get it right. Dad fabbed the truss out of a 2X4 rectangle tube. It should stiffen up the early truck axle housing pretty well.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:37:53 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »
Last weekend we started on a set of headers. These are going to be equal length, stepped headers. 1 7/8" 2" 2 1/8" Just regular steel. We don't have the budget for stainless. The exhaust side of our Pro-Port heads have Jeff Colverts' exhaust port. So they look a little different than the usual FE head. Blair just happened to have a set of header flanges hanging around for the Colvert exhaust ports so we scooped em' up. He also sent us a sweet pair of merge collectors for the project. They're set up for pan evacs already. (Which reminds me, Jay. I need to change the valve cover configuration that I originally spec'd. Will email you soon.)
  Check out the milled register in the header flanges. It took us a minute to figure out a method to fit the 1 7/8 tubes to the flanges. Another round peg in a square hole scenario. Normal for us. We heated the tube to a dull red and squeezed it in the vise. And then with the tube still in the vise, squeezed it square with a C clamp. 16ga tubing was the better choice for fitting into the flanges but the majority of the straight tubing will be 18ga. Mandrel bends I found on ePay. They're 16ga. I found non-aluminized 10' sticks of 18ga tubing at our local NAPA. Bare steel is by far the better choice to tig than aluminized. The tubes all slide together also. This feature will be a big time saver over the course of the project.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:48:12 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
We finished tacking together the drivers side header last weekend. It went fairly quickly after we developed a few assembly methods. And after that it became pretty fun actually.

First we layed out our mandrel bends on a couple pieces of cardboard with marks every 22-1/2 degrees. Any bend that needed something finer than 22-1/2 degrees we made notes on so we could easily replicate it for the passenger side. I think we had 2 bends that came out less than 22 1/2 degrees. Another couple of handy visual reference items were pieces of mechanics wire cut to our different tube lengths, 10" and 14". We would bend them to the shape we thought we needed and then eyeball it. Bend and repeat. Much better than the Shop Vac hose we started with. We left the collector a slip fit, so I can pull the tubes off to TIG weld individually. So far we've got about 8 hours into the project.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:42:00 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
We tacked the passenger side header together last weekend. It went a lot faster than the drivers side. Mainly due to having all the pieces already cut. As we made the drivers side we cut the tubes for the passenger side once we were sure how each tube needed to be cut. It took us about 4 hours to tack it all together. And it came out much better than the drivers side too. Now its gonna be interesting to see how long it takes to TIG all the joints.

Don't be afraid of trying to build a pair of headers guys. All it takes is some imagination and fab experience. We spent months talking about it. And not much time actually building. We had a good laugh about what a huge, pain in the ass project we thought these headers were gonna be. Neither one of us had ever tried to build a set of headers. So it seemed like a bigger deal than it really was. In the end, this was a really fun and rewarding part of this project.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:04:19 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »
I love building headers, at least the first side.  By the time I get to the second side it seems like a little less fun.  But I agree, with the mandrel bent tubing available now, and some basic welding experience, building headers is not that tough and it is very rewarding.  Your headers look great, Kevin!

By the way, building step headers is even easier than regular headers, because at the step you can just slide one tube over the previous one, rather than trying to cut them to line up for a good butt weld.  On my race car I did 3 step headers and actually taped most of them together with duct tape before starting to tack weld.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2018, 10:27:44 PM »
By the way, building step headers is even easier than regular headers, because at the step you can just slide one tube over the previous one, rather than trying to cut them to line up for a good butt weld.  On my race car I did 3 step headers and actually taped most of them together with duct tape before starting to tack weld.

Thanks for the kind words, Jay. We had miles of room compared to being confined to inside the frame, so we got little curvy.

It's funny, dad and I had this same discussion. We both can't imagine NOT building stepped headers. Lol Building headers with just one size of primary tube would take a lot longer, especially if mandrel bends were used. The ends have to be square. And the tube has to be round. A guy with a tubing bender would have an advantage here. But having the ability to overlap the tubes is a handy thing. You can telescope, rotate and wiggle. If your bends are fairly rational, everything just lines up.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:34:37 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »
We had miles of room compared to being confined to inside the frame, so we got little curvy.

Yeah, a little bit of an advantage when you can stand there and do the work in the open, with no linkage, inner panels or anything else to work around ;)

The headers look good. Nice job.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 01:16:36 PM »
Very Cool Build!

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 10:07:43 AM »
One of the things we put on our list of projects for this build was a tilt front end. This is another one of those things that we've talked about doing for a long time. We just needed an appropriate build to try it out on. So here it is.

We cut all of the additional weight from the radiator support and the underside of the hood once we attached the hood to the fenders. To keep the body lines looking good we measured the thickness of the rubber stops that we're originally between the hood/fenders and made spacer blocks to bolt thru.

The frame horns were left just long enough to accommodate the bosses for the pivot point. Damn....we cut up tons of cardboard making templates for the pivot brackets. I think we had 4 or 5 versions before settling on the one in the pics. We welded them directly to the bottom of the radiator support.

Once we had front clip tilting, we identified our next issue. The grill was NOT up to the stress of being yanked on when opening the hood. So we tucked a piece of 3/4 pipe behind the grill and made a couple of little brackets to attach the pipe to the radiator support. Now you wrap your fingers around the pipe to tilt the hood.

The radiator is a NOS unit that was still in its '70 something box. One of dad's estate sale treasures. We fabbed up a few brackets and ran some stiffeners down to the shock brackets. Then we attached our stop cables to the top of the radiator support brackets.

The old hood hinge brackets became the hood pin brackets. They also help support the hood.

We wanted to make sure the parting line between the fender halves was as straight and clean as possible. So dad came up with a nifty way of doing this. He cut a 1/4" inch gap out of the fenders and made some 1/8" inch alignment pieces to weld back on each fender half. Pretty slick.

We're winding down on the fab work finally. Our next big step will be blowing the truck back apart and sand blasting the frame.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:01:40 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2018, 07:18:29 PM »
I like it! Very nice work!
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
Thanks Doug! It's been a ton of work getting to this point.

We finally got all the fab work done! We took some extra time and welded all of the holes in the firewall. On to tear down and sandblasting. And dads favorite, paint. He's pretty damn good at it.

We rigged up some tubing to lift the body off the frame. I welded a 3x3 tube to the hood pin brackets temporarily. Dad's winch truck worked great for this. The body was tied to the winch truck to keep it from swinging in the wind. It was left hanging for several weeks while we sandblasted and painted.

We chose our colors based on what was handy. The gloss red paint on the frame is about the same as the original F-100 XL truck. We didn't intend this. But kinda cool I think. The white paint on the firewall and underside is a satin finish. It was what we had. It's starting to grow on me actually.

I went through the front wheel bearings and brakes last weekend. New wheel cylinders and hoses. The brake shoes were probably 30 years old but were new. They still had writing on the surface that rubs the drums. The drums have been turned just .030. We have plans to go to disc brakes in the future. But for now the drums will have to do. May have to incorporate a parachute for this reason  ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:41:45 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »
Looking good Kevin!  Nice to be working with clean, freshly painted parts...
Jay Brown

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
Very cool project! Looking forward to seeing it done.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words and messages, guys. Will pass them along to dad. After all the work, it sure is nice to be putting this thing together "for keeps" finally.

We spent Labor Day finishing the rear end. The housing is what dad calls an "early big bearing" housing. Mark Williams made us some 31 spline axles with screw in studs to work with the housing.

I went through the brakes completely. New drums and wheel cylinders. All the emergency brake components were cleaned and reused.

The 3rd member is from Moser. 4:57 Pro gears. Nodular case. Billet spool. We've built quite a few differentials over the years but this is the first one ever purchased ready to run. We typically shoot for a better contact pattern than what this chunk came with. (pinion appears a bit deep) But then again, this is the first set of pro gears we've ever seen too. So maybe they're slightly different to set up? What do you think guys?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:45:24 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
So cool you get to build a great project with your dad.
Awesome.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 03:56:30 PM »
Thanks Marc. Better late than never. :)

Minimal progress but it's better than none. We finally got our new tires and wheels. We went with steel wheels on back to save a few bucks. Had to roll it out in the sun for good look at it. Yep it's red. 8)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:42:02 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 04:16:25 PM »
We finally got our roller C6 done. What a long journey of modifications. No part went untouched.  First gear came out of a 4R100, it's quite a bit lower than stock. 2.72:1 I think. This should help get the heavy truck moving. The valve body is a manual with transbrake, reverse shift pattern, .400 pro tree unit from Broader Performance. The torque converter was made by a local guy. We'll be a couple of pleasantly surprised hillbillys if this hot mess actually works. Neither one of us has ever built a C6 before.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:15:28 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
Nice chassie, And nice wiev outside the garage :o 8)
Where do you live?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »
Thanks Heo. We live in a little place called Glade Park. In western CO. That pic outside was taken last October. We're buried in snow now.
Kevin McCullah

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »
Kevin, I like the looks of those headers. Now if I could get up the gumption to build a set of SST T-bolt headers for my 64 T bolt wagon, I might get it finished! I been looking at one of those plastic header build kits, But the price is a little high for a 1 time build.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
Kevin I get through Grand Junction once going and once coming every year. I always look up at that mountain/plateau that the park/monument is on and think how pretty it must be up there. One of these times I’m going to drive up through there and look around. Low and behold you live up there.
Envy meter pegged.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
Thanks Heo. We live in a little place called Glade Park. In western CO. That pic outside was taken last October. We're buried in snow now.
I like that kind of landscape. Different when you are used to see forrest
in all directions or the open sea

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2019, 09:48:01 PM »
I been looking at one of those plastic header build kits, But the price is a little high for a 1 time build.

We considered one of those header modeling kits too. Then we realized we could buy a whole bunch of 16ga. mandrel bends and make our own modeling kit. We used a super skinny chop saw wheel (.047 I think) to make all the cuts straight and clean. We had a few SNAFU's along the way. Some of the modeling pieces had to be incorporated into the last header we built.
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2019, 10:17:27 PM »
Kevin I get through Grand Junction once going and once coming every year. I always look up at that mountain/plateau that the park/monument is on and think how pretty it must be up there. One of these times I’m going to drive up through there and look around. Low and behold you live up there.
Envy meter pegged.

PM me next time you're passing through, Marc. I'd be happy to show you around. With this govt shut-down, the Colorado National Monument doesn't have any park rangers patrolling it. It's been pretty fun to rip up and down it in my highboy.  ;D
Kevin McCullah

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 10:29:13 PM »
Will do. 8)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »
Envy meter pegged.

PM me next time you're passing through, Marc. I'd be happy to show you around. With this govt shut-down, the Colorado National Monument doesn't have any park rangers patrolling it. It's been pretty fun to rip up and down it in my highboy.  ;D

Wow, an unanticipated benefit to the government shutdown!
Jay Brown

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »
More progress! We carefully measured and checked everything when we married the trans to the engine. With everything being aftermarket (block, crank, adaptor hub, flexplate and torque converter) we were surprised that it all bolted together and was actually right.

One of the things we wanted to verify before dropping the body back on was the shifter. We chose the Hurst Quarter Stick for the reverse pattern valve body. Click for click we worked from park to 3rd gear. Each shift was dead nuts on. We must be living right.

One of the things we didn't like was the cheesy arm that came in the shifter kit for the C6. It did not want to grab the shaft very positively. Once we got happy about the location of the arm on the shaft, I tack welded it. Done deal.   

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:22:11 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »
Looks very nice, it'll be super seeing it all done and making some noise!..........Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2019, 08:15:16 AM »
Wow it is looking great. Leny Mason

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Will pass em along to dad. We are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

I finally got some time off from work. While I was away, dad has been busy. He put the front clip back on along with the radiator and built a cool little shroud with a couple of cooling fans. The fans came from a mid 90's Taurus. Hopefully they move plenty of air.

We have a working brake system now too. We finished running all new steel brake lines last weekend and vacuum bled the system. We also upgraded to a double sided master cylinder for a bit more safety. The factory emergency brake system works too. We couldn't wait to geek out with the line lock valve so we wired it temporarily to a jumper box. It works great!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:32:50 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2019, 06:46:56 PM »
Super cool.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2019, 05:22:41 PM »
We've been busy with the electrical end of things for several weekends now. I took on the alternator myself while dad sorted out the factory wiring.

Dad assembled a slick little panel for the ignition components with breakers and relays for fans, water pump and fuel pump. He pulled the breakers and relays out of an old Freightliner in his boneyard. Dads ability to make chicken salad out of chicken shit always surprises me.  I took some 18ga plate and made inserts for the stock instrument panel so we could mount switches and gauges.

I picked up a 3G alternator for a 95' Mustang at my local NAPA. It's a 135 amp large frame variety. To convert it to a true one wire alternator I found a conversion voltage regulator on eBay. I also clocked the output post around to a more suitable location. Easy peasy. The crank pulley is a March 7611. It's for a BB Chevrolet so it took some whittling. The lower arm is a Summit G4049B universal alternator arm. I had to cut a few inches off and drill a new hole in it. The belt is a Dayco 5060295 6 rib belt. Credit to Jay for passing along these part numbers to me. It turned out to be a pretty slick alternator assembly.

www.ebay.com/itm/New-Conversion-Voltage-Regulator-Makes-Your-FORD-3G-Alternator-One-1-Wire-Hookup/132286529580?hash=item1ecce4402c:g:mqoAAOSwTHRbex9w:sc:USPSFirstClass!81523!US!-1

The starter kinda screwed us around though. When this FE was in my Highboy, I used a stock type starter with a truck bellhousing and had to grind just a bit on the back screw in freeze plug. Now with a C6, the starter location is way closer to the block. Not even close to working. So we have a CVR starter coming with a smaller, clockable motor. We suspect the Genesis block has some extra beef on it causing our issue. Edit: Just remembered.....The starter mounting holes in the C6 bellhousing and the clearance holes in the shield plate were an issue also. Tolerances are getting stacked somehow. Along with the burly wall on the block. It's quite a bit thicker than a FoMoCo block.

With the electrical end of this project close to completion, we're on to the the fuel system now.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:06:31 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »
I like the speed holes in the front core support.

We started with the same trans brake button placement on the 64 fairlane drag car. The cord would wind around the steering column and after about a half season the cord didn't cooperate anymore. After that we got a handheld switch that you could set down after launch, wasn't as great as it looked in theory. Ended up with a normal momentary switch that was placed on the shifter housing, it was a B&M shifter with the aluminum cover, just riveted a little switch plate to the side of it. That's how the car stayed for 8 years until it was retired.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »
I like the idea of having both hands on the wheel when coming out of the hole, so that's how the transbrake button wound up on the steering wheel. But like you said, the cord doesn't want to wrap around the steering column very well. I messed with it some yesterday. Tried wrapping some masking tape around the steering column to help the cord slide instead of stick. Didn't work very well. It's a work in progress for now. I have to learn to drive all over again with this rig.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:23:42 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2019, 10:47:09 PM »
Why cant you use the horn button wire to run the tranny brake just a thought. Leny Mason

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2019, 10:08:40 PM »
Why cant you use the horn button wire to run the tranny brake just a thought. Leny Mason

Hey Leny, we considered the horn wire. But the old eight pin connector in the firewall had a broken pin to the tail lights. So the pin for the horn wire was sacrificed for the tail lights. 
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2019, 10:42:59 PM »
We finished up with the wiring and mounting the battery last weekend. The master kill switch we used had a second pole in it that was used to power the fuel pump.

The fuel system didn't take us too long. The fuel cell is a Speedmaster unit. Decent quality for the price. We started out using the Trick Flow 140 fuel pump that was in my Highboy with the 504. Then ran 1/2 soft copper tubing to the pressure regulator and cool can on the firewall. Will see if it passes tech. I cant say I've ever seen soft copper used for fuel line at the track. But it worked on the Model T.  ;D

After getting the CVR starter mounted, we dumped a few gallons of gas in and cranked it up. Man it was good to hear that 504 idling again. Heck it was mothballed for a couple of years. I'll have to get some video to post. But no major issues to report. The C6 clicked thru all the gears. No oil leaks. The alternator is charging at 14.4 volts. The CVR water pump cools really well. But our cacklefest was cut short due to a blown seal in the Trick Flow pump. Sitting around for a few years dried it out I guess. No biggie. It was incredibly loud anyhow. We had another Holley knock off pump kicking around.

We're moving on to the roll cage and seats now. That will be a couple of weekends to finish.

We're trying our best to make the test and tune at our local track. It's on 4/27..... 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:17:24 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2019, 12:00:26 AM »
Kevin, Man that truck is looking good. Ill have to check my work schedule, I may drop by the test and tune if you make it.

Is there a grommet for the copper fuel line where it pokes through the bed? Cant make it out in the photos, if not the tech inspector might not like that.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2019, 06:43:47 AM »
Great looking engine, Kevin, looking forward to hearing about the track results!
Jay Brown

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2019, 10:39:38 AM »
Yes, a great looking engine! Like the as-cast look a lot.

Headers with that straight-out 1st tube section looks good for hp production. Missed if you welded them up or bought them.
Bob Maag

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2019, 02:29:30 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo66ODKSDdQ
Kevin McCullah

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2019, 02:38:43 PM »
Sounds great! We were sitting in the garage Friday night kicking around the idea of heading over the hill sometime this summer and racing in Grand Junction. That's your track right?

Car just got repainted. Factory colors, just a refresh.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »
Hey that Fairlane looks cool! I like the color too.

Yep GJ is me. They just posted the 2019 schedule.

http://wcdra.com/race_schedule.htm

We hit a few of the Friday night street legal drags last year. Thrashed on dads 1971 F100. We may try the Quick 16 guys if thing work out well with the package.

Holler if you come over. PM
Kevin McCullah

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2019, 12:14:26 AM »
The truck looks awesome, Kevin! Only thing missing is the 4 speed.  :)

I noticed in the video, the oil pressure gauge seemed a lil "lazy". That would drive me nuts.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2019, 05:59:32 AM »
I was thinking the same thing nightmist, wasnt going to say anything figuring just a lazy gauge.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2019, 07:19:15 AM »
Yea the oil pressure guage bugs me too. Dad insisted on mechanical guages. So the oil pressure takes a while to travel up the 1/16 copper tube. 15-40 Rotella with 35 deg temps compounds the lazy issue.
Kevin McCullah

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2019, 07:49:33 AM »
That'll do it. 3 or 4 AN line would fix that. I was using a 3 AN line to my gauge, but with 10W30. Never an issue.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
Took a look at your videos. pretty cool mud drags look fun. also beating up on that subaru looks fun also.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »
Happy 4/27 guys! We celebrated by taking our F100 out to our local drag strip. We made it through tech inspection ok. He did note we have to get a trans blanket before we come back next time. I didn't get any video but I did get a few time slips. I made some notes on each time slip about the pass. It really seems like I'm having to learn to drive all over again in this truck. I think I made just about every dumb mistake that a drag racer can make. We didn't have time to ride around the neighborhood so I made 2 shakedown passes to make sure the thing drives right. It goes straight as an arrow. No vibrations. Doesn't pull when I slam on the brakes. The king pin caster angle must be good too. I noticed when driving through the pits that the steering wheel quickly re-centers itself after a turn. The C6 worked great also. The oil heats up to about 180 after a pass.

The only negative I can think of was all the left over blasting sand in the cowl. It was hot sitting in the staging lanes so I opened the vents thinking it would cool down during my first shake down pass. At about 90 MPH the interior of the truck became a blasting cabinet. Which filled every orifice of my sweaty body with sand. Not cool.

Going forward we see several things that need addressed:

4:57 rear gears are too much. Something in the mid to low 5's would be better. Edit: We have a 5:13 set but they're not pro gears. Currently exploring options here.

We learned what a 2 step box does. So now I'm looking for one that will work with an old analog 6AL box. This will make launching more consistent. And improve 60' times hopefully.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:20:07 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »
Congrats Kevin. Must be nice to have some time slips after all the work.
Great truck.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2019, 07:20:38 AM »
Thanks Marc. It's been a really rewarding project. The sum of all of our efforts and knowledge finally realized. Now I just have to get my poop in a group and drive. I also enjoyed seeing dad reconnect with several of the old local racers. One he even went to school with back in the 60's.

I will add, this is by far the fastest vehicle I've ever driven. Way way WAY faster than mud drags.  ;D
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
We’re all set for another trip to the track. We’ve made several changes since our last outing. 

We think we figured out our high speed vibration. Both of the rear tires had to be rebalanced. The drivers side was off by 5oz. And the pass side wasn't much better. These tires and wheels were purchased mounted and balanced through Summit Racing but who knows who did the actual mounting and balancing. Piss poor workmanship!

We got the wideband o2 meter working again. It needed a new o2 sensor. The old one had been fouled with leaded racing gas.

Once the wideband was working again we figured out we were running super lean. Like 13.7-14 on the big end. Maybe the reason why it was heating up to 210 after a pass. We took a guess and jetted up from 75 to 78 on both sides of the carb. We haven’t made a pass since re-jetting but I bet it still wants a little more. Holy crap what a difference the headers made! It was the only thing we changed from when the motor was in my Highboy.

The pan evacs are hooked up now. We think all of the vacuum leaks are fixed. The dipstick was the culprit we think. Will see what the vacuum gauge says.

Almost forgot....We hauled it down to the nearest truck stop and rolled it across the scale. It came in at a robust 3880lbs with me in it. And it weighs 400lbs more on the front axle than the rear. Lots of work to do here.

And last but not least, we buffed out the 57 year old paint. Heck.... just knocking off all the oxidation should be worth a tenth.   ;D  We also mounted a couple of old "Cobrajet" emblems on the valve covers. They came from a '69 CJ Torino that dad raced back in '75.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:45:25 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2019, 08:48:02 PM »
That thing looks great.
Love the 428 badge.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »
Thanks Marc. Those badges have been in my tool box for 30+ years.
Kevin McCullah

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2019, 07:02:18 AM »
How cool, a great Father son project I did a 1056 Ford Parklane wagon with my Son vary good memories. and your truck looks great Leny Mason. 

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2019, 12:05:53 PM »
Thanks Leny. I feel pretty lucky to have had the opportunity to build this hotrod with my dad. Got to check something off my bucket list to boot.  :)

We had a good outing last night. We got rid of our vibration issue finally. Went 11.70's 3 times in a row. My first pass I noticed the A/F ratio was still on the lean side. We went up 2 more jet sizes and finally got to a reasonable 12.8-13. With 8600DA. Spark plugs looked good.

With the added jetting to the carb, we must be making a a little more HP. Because now we have a traction issue. Our 60' times went from 1.500's to 1.700's. We need to try lowering the 2-step rpm a bit. But gotta get some smaller rev pills. 3000rpm is the smallest pill we have right now. We're about ready to ditch the drag radials for some slicks also.  In the video I short shifted to 2nd gear to get the tires to hook. Plenty to work on still. But we're having a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuLvmSmQA5Y

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:26:46 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »
Thanks for the ride Kevin.  8)
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2019, 11:03:03 PM »
When I used to race Mine with 4 something gears and the truck four speed and 428 PI I would start out in third, I don't remember what RPM worked the best but with the truck tranny you could not shift from second to third, with vary little spinning but it was tough . Leny Mason 

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Was that a T18, Leny? I ran one for years in my Highboy. They shift so much smoother than a NP435. I ended up twisting the output shaft off. Too many 3rd gear launches.  :) I couldn’t find another output shaft for it. So I swapped to a NP435 and a 12” Centerforce DF clutch. That was a decent combo for 3rd gear launches in the mud. Can’t imagine doing that on pavement.  :o
Here’s a 3rd gear launch with a quick shift to 4th.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pivhY9OfDE
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:31:35 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2019, 09:45:13 AM »
I do not know it was the one that came in it and I bought it in 1970, it was tough though,

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2019, 11:31:29 AM »
We had a good outing the other night. Ran a new best of 11.53@111. Knocked .200 off our old best. Edit: And .102 off our 60'. Despite what everybody says about drag radials, I started warming the shit out of the tires. But mainly due to paying closer attention to the shift light. Lol Who knew? Edit: Forgot a detail. We were out riding around a few weeks back and I did a big ass John Force burnout. Maybe 100 yards long. Later on when we came by that burnout mark we noticed the driverside tire was leaving a light dark light dark pattern on the pavement for about 75 feet and then it changed to solid black. This caused us to go back to the garage and pull that tire off for a close inspection. With our thumbnails we found a spot that was a lot harder than the rest of the tire. About the size of a piece of office paper. This gave us an excuse to go out and get a nice durometer. What we found with the durometer was a difference of about 18 shore from high to low on that tire. We don't know much about tire manufacturing but this seems like a QC issue. Especially on a performance type of tire. And these friggin M/T drag radials were expensive btw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrYdroG3_zw

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:35:27 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2019, 09:37:16 PM »
 Hey Kevin, looks like you guys are having fun and making progress!  I watched your video.  When you do your burnout, pump the brakes up real tight and then hit the line lock.  Shift up to high gear just like you did, but stay in the water another 2-3 seconds and then let go of the line lock and let it burn the tires on out past the water.....maybe half way to the starting line and then feather out of it in time to get stopped.  Radial or not, you have to heat the tires, and stay on it far enough to get away from the water trail after the water box. 

Engine sure sounds good going down the track.  You did a nice job!!
Blair Patrick

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »
Thanks for the pointers BP. I'm learning. It would have probably been better to have started with slicks to get our bugs worked out. And then tried the radials.

We've got the rear end tore apart now. The factory shock mounts had the shocks laying at about a 45* angle. So we weren't using much of the shocks travel. They're gonna be standing straight up and down when we're done. Calvert adjustables.
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2019, 11:20:15 PM »
We hauled the truck to town last Friday for the street legal drags. Ran a new best of 11.47@113. With a 1.567 60’. Getting back down to 1.5xx something in the 60’ is certainly a win for us. Getting the rear shocks squared up with the springs seems to help the launch. Pic of the new shock arrangement below.

And following Blair’s advice on the burnouts was spot on too. Thanks again, Blair.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IXn77sfCg

Edit: My apologies for the low quality video. It came from one of our slighly buzzed fans.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:54:33 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2019, 09:17:44 PM »
We had another good outing with the truck. The local track shuts down for the season in 3 more races, so we decided to try the Saturday night race. Wow what a blast! We ran a new best of 11.34@112 with a 1.458 60' in practice. What a difference a prepped track makes. Friday night races are no prep. But man does that heavy ass truck launch with a prepped surface. What a ride! The drag radials hook pretty well now.

I've never ET raced before. The Friday night races use a even starting tree. So getting used to seeing a car launch a second before me is really difficult with a ET tree. I have to constantly remember to just race the red truck. Lol And be consistent. I won the first round race just barely against a 69' Olds 442. Nice car. I posted the time slip from that race below. I ended up losing in the second round to last years Pro ET class champion. He ran a 9.35 on a 9.34 dial in. Hard to compete with that.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:57:36 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2019, 06:11:55 AM »
Those are some awesome 60 foot times, truck sounds great

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »
Thanks Stangman. It's a work in progress. Me and the truck. :)
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2019, 11:09:57 PM »
What a fun summer we had with the truck. We didn't have any major mechanical carnage to speak of really. Lost one cheesy Trick Flow electric fuel pump and completely used up a pair of M/T drag radials. Hindsight being 20/20, we should not have started out with drag radials. Even though we did figure out a prepped track was what made them hook up good. Trying to learn the ropes with ET drag racing and dealing with traction issues is difficult. My driving got somewhat better but still needs work.

We have several improvement projects slated for this winter. First and foremost is dealing with our lack of traction. We're actually working on this one right now. Will post a few pics when we get it done.

I shot a video of our last pass for the season. Will post a link to it below. I had made it to the second round for the first time. Without having to buy back in! Pretty good for me. :) I drove one of the best passes of the summer. But ended up losing by .033 seconds. Keep an eye on my wing window. The guy just shows up, and hands me my ass on the way by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCCFMJbyRBI

Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2020, 11:25:00 PM »
Happy new year guys. One of my new years resolutions was to figure out how to post better pics. I think I got it!

One of the big issues we had at the track last season was traction. I went with M/T DOT drag radials because several acquaintances liked them. They all have much lighter cars so maybe they work better for that application. They don't like a heavy truck. They did work better for us with a well prepped starting line. But still shook the truck. So after much measuring and discussion, we ended up with a 30.5x13.5 Hoosier bias slick with a stiff sidewall. Hoosier lists this tire as a 29.5x11.5W. It seems odd not being able to look at the tire to see what size it is. Anyhow, we also had a pair of custom 12" wheels made. We didn't want to radius the bedsides so it took some back spacing.

To get all that tire to fit, I cut out the old factory wheel tubs and got an aluminum wheel tub kit. These are no fun to assemble at all. Dad and I fussed with these for a while. But in the end, we came up with a pretty sweet installation.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:54:26 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Towd56

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2020, 06:45:04 AM »
Looks great-Where did you buy the wheels from?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »
Mayhem Bob would be proud  :)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2020, 10:53:17 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Towd- Wheels came from Wheelsmith. I called and gave them the dimensions we needed and mentioned were planning on racing. Wheels showed up 2 weeks later. They measured exactly what we asked for. Easy peasy.  https://thewheelsmith.net/

Doug- I used to enjoy reading about Bob's progress when he raced Mayhem. That truck honked! I think it was a '66. I remember twin I beams. Found a cool old pic. I also wonder how Lady K is. She used to pop in on occasion after his passing.

http://www.slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14045&sid=be0d61ff168254b7215d8e5d91c203c4
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2020, 09:37:43 PM »
I think most everybody saw the thread where I asked if it was possible to have too much air from a cowl induction ram air duct. The general consensus was, more air is typically better, but not always. So it sounded like a worthwhile project to me. And it fell right in line with our overall goal of moving more air thru the 504.

I started out with a Quickfuel Air Bell for a Dominator flange. The fit was super sloppy on the carb. We ended up making an adaptor collar out of some 1/16 aluminum strap. It helped with leveling the bell to the bottom of the cowl. After tacking the collar and the bell together, the extra bit of collar standing proud was removed and then contoured to the inside of the bell.

We can't wait to try this thing out. I have a 1/8 NPT aluminum thread-o-let to put in still.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:57:03 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2020, 08:24:04 AM »
Looks really good, Kevin.  It will be interesting to see what the results are...
Jay Brown

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2020, 10:00:25 AM »
Looks really good, Kevin.  It will be interesting to see what the results are...

Thanks, Jay. The proof will be in the time slip.
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2020, 10:19:25 AM »
After we finished the cowl ducting, we tore the whole thing down for a thorough inspection. I didn't get many pics.

Everything in the 504 looked pretty good. The cam lobes and roller lifters looked new. The T&D's didn't show any signs of distress. Nothing turned blue, Lol oiling thru the push tubes is working good! We did give it a new set of rod bearings, with an additional .0005 clearance. A few bearing shells showed some weirdness.

The intake was sent to Joe-JDC for a judicious porting job. Thank you Joe! The roof of the ports were raised to better align with our Pro-Ports intake port. This was the last part of our plan to move more air thru the 504. We can't wait to see the improvement!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:04:47 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2020, 06:24:57 PM »
I have thought about doing the same type of cowl induction on the Galaxie

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2020, 08:32:28 PM »
I think that would be a cool look on your gal, Heo. That 60's Nascar look. I'm not sure how it would be in the rain though. 
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2020, 08:51:32 PM »
When we put the engine and trans together the first time, we thought we double checked everything. We were surprised that all of this aftermarket junk actually fit together. Well....what we found when we dropped the tranny was some pretty good interference. Between the heads of the flexplate bolts and the anti-balloon plate of our torque converter. We just used factory Ford flexplate bolts with the 3/4 hex. They've since been replaced with some short 12 point ARP flexplate bolts.

The pic below shows six rusty looking smudges from the bolt heads.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:13:22 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2020, 09:52:57 PM »
Thats not too bad, another option would have been to install a flat washer between the flexplate and torque convertor to add a little space, as long as there was still enough room to do so, (usually is). I have seen some SB Fords where the flexplate bolt heads left a complete image on the torque convertor, right down the slots of the bolt heads.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2020, 10:15:30 PM »
Who makes the converter just curious who people are using.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2020, 07:49:37 AM »
Stangman- The torque converter was built by a local outfit, Accelerated Torque Converters. I gave the guy the only chassis dyno sheet I had, which showed the torque curve peaking at about 5500 RPM. This torque converter flashes at about 5600 RPM. He said he would give me one RPM adjustment for free if I didn't like the flash point. I'd say he nailed it the first time.

https://acceleratedtorque.com/

What got us wondering was the strange wear pattern on the ring gear. The starter gear was engaging the full width of the ring gear in spots and other spots only showed about half the width of the tooth engaged. Once we found the rub spots from the flexplate bolts, we figured the flexplate was probably ruined, having been pulled on "against it's will". A quick check of the face run out showed it still ran within .010. We straightened it to within .004 and called it good. Got lucky.
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Re: 1962 F100 unibody drag truck
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2020, 12:22:32 PM »
After finding the interference between the flex plate bolts and anti-balloon plate, we decided to take a look at our hotrod C6. Aside from the burnt clutches in the direct drum, everything looked pretty good. I had machined a new snap ring groove in the direct drum to fit 5 clutches, but that was it. Some builders like to swiss cheese the shit out of it with 1/8 holes to lighten it and let the hot oil out. But without a way to spin balance it after drilling, it didn't seem like a good idea. It's the biggest, heaviest piece in the C6. Almost 10lbs. So we didn't go down the path of drilling our direct drum. Maybe it would have prevented the slipping clutches, who knows. Slamming it back into 1st gear at the top of 2nd gear could be some of the problem. :) 

I picked up some light weight goodies while we were inside the C6. The aluminum direct drum weighs just over 3lbs, quite a bit lighter than the FoMoCo piece. I also got an ultra light sun shell driver.

I was able to fit 8 clutches in the aluminum direct drum. I used the Red Alto E4OD kit. This should help with the slipping. We were bummed when we realized we couldn't use the ultra light sun shell driver. It's made to fit the Stock C6 1st gear inner planet. Our hotrod C6 uses the lower 1st gear out of the E4OD. I forgot about this detail. So I set up the factory E4OD sun shell driver on the Bridgeport and punched some holes in it. It had been modified already to clear the wide Kevlar band. Forgot to get a pic of my handy work. Anyhow, I hope it doesn't vibrate or cause some other issue.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:39:39 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2020, 06:49:25 PM »
Admire you guys that can jump into a trans and rebuild/modify them.
Kudos.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2020, 09:28:31 AM »
I am curious to see the improvement from the lightened parts. May not be noticeable at your levels, or with other changes, but it has to help. Anytime you can lighten rotating weight is a plus, as long as it holds up.

Definitely cool parts/mods.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2020, 08:26:29 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. Will pass em on to dad.

Honestly, we've both enjoyed this C6 more than anything else on the truck. Neither one of us had ever been inside a C6. Or any other slushbox for that matter. So it's been a fun learning thing for dad and I. Dad's went on to build several other C6's for a couple of his buddies. Got a few Bumpside Camper Specials back on the road. And a couple of old farts back to camping again. :)
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2020, 10:39:53 PM »
Our local track finally got the ok from the county to put on a race. It was a full on Covid PPE mandated deal. With no spectators or food concessions. Not too enjoyable on a hot day.

The first practice session was limited to 1/8 mi. passes only because of the wind. It blew a steady 20 mph with 35 mph gusts, across the track, all day long. The whole event ended up being cancelled due to high winds. But we did get to make one 1/8 mi. pass before the race was cancelled. I would post a time slip but it blew away. No, for real. :)  The track was pretty slick from the blowing dirt. The pass was about .25 slower than my best 1/8 mi pass. But was nearly 3 mph faster than my fastest 1/8 mi pass. 11.34 is the trucks best 1/4 mi pass so far. So maybe 10's are within reach. Maybe...

Link to Lo-Res video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du0yKYpsjIo

Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2020, 10:54:03 PM »
We've had several good outings with the truck lately. Our local track put together a race plan with Covid measures in place that the county approved. We've made it to a couple of races so far. A few weeks ago the truck ran a new best of 11.14@114. We were pleased and bummed at the same time. The truck picked up 2 tenths over our fastest pass from last season. But damn, those 2 tenths were a lot of work! And we're still a long way from the 10's. With as many changes as we made in the off season, I was sure the truck was gonna drop into the 10's. This drag racing business is tough! We have a couple of projects slated that I'll post about when they happen.

Last night was another good night for the truck. The weather cooled off and the DA improved to 8000'. The truck ran a new best of 11.11@115. One of our intoxicated groupies just happened to get it on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWhkQNpaEk
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2020, 08:54:04 PM »
We had an exceptional outing with the truck last weekend. The races are happening with a little more frequency at our local track. The air was awesome early in the morning. 7100DA or so. 75 degrees. The truck liked it enough to run a new best of 11.08@115. I lost my first round, which is typical. Haven't won one yet. Heck, I just pay the buy-back with my entry fee these days.  ::) Anyhow, after I got that first loss out of the way, we went on to win five in a row. We got our first win!

Dad and I are still pretty stoked about it all. The truck ran great all day. No issues to report. It's been hot as hell lately. 102 degrees by the time the final race happened. Dad kept the cool can full of ice. It's a pain I know but it helps on a triple digit day. I caught several young guys taking pics of dad adding ice. :) 
Kevin McCullah

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2020, 07:48:06 AM »
Congrats Kevin, great showing!  Need some videos of the truck at the track...
Jay Brown

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2020, 07:55:18 AM »
Way to go.
Love that the pups are taking notes of how the big dog does it. ;)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »
That's awesome, Kevin!! And I get a chuckle out of how a 7100'DA is "awesome"...lol You mountain guys sure have a disadvantage.

Your truck looks EXACTLY like a '62 unibody I had many years ago....like almost 30 years ago. Only difference being it had a transplanted 300 I6 in it. I loved that truck and miss it dearly. Yours is just a bit cooler though  8)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »
great job ,keep on keepen on

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2021, 12:40:24 PM »
Happy New Years guys. Hoping for better racing in 2021.

Despite our best efforts to reach the tens last season, it didn't happen. 11.08@115 was the best we did. Primarily due to dismal air quality. 8500+DA every race. Tons of smoke in the air from forest fires too.

We tried several things to make the truck faster. When the motor and tranny was out for freshening, I swiss cheesed the front and mid cross members. This was good for about 25lbs. That steel is thick!

Tests with and without the ram box proved inconclusive. It's hard to tell anything with 100+ambient temperatures. I've got some sticky backed silver insulation that I'm thinking about trying out. Also thinking about tacking in a couple of air smoothing vanes. It has to be turbulent as hell inside there at 115mph.

The last thing we tried at the end of the season was calming the air down over the bed. It didn't seem to matter much. Getting rid of the factory tail gate netted us about 30lbs though. The panel over the fuel cell pops out like the leaf on mom's table. The wing lays down with the new tailgate. We put little latches under the wing.

One of the things we're currently working on is the front axle. Will post up a few pics when it's finished.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:24:49 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2021, 10:40:25 AM »
Hi, could You go with a mono spring that may save some weight to, I love those trucks . Leny Mason

winr1

« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2021, 08:37:07 PM »
I will weigh my F1 straight axle and ask my Friends what their 61 to 64 straight axles weigh

The F1 axle weighs around 7 or so more pounds than 1 65 F-100 I beam

Ricky.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2021, 08:19:05 AM »
I will weigh my F1 straight axle and ask my Friends what their 61 to 64 straight axles weigh

Ricky.

This might be interesting, Ricky. The new front axle weighs in at 31lbs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:20:57 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2021, 11:21:55 AM »
The front axle was a long process but we finally got it done. I had Speedway make up a tube axle with king pin bosses for 1940 Ford spindles. The standard tube they offer is 2" DOM 1/4 wall. The heavy duty tube has a 3/8 wall. Given the weight of the truck and the possibility of huge wheelies, we went with the 3/8 wall tube. We decided on the spindles because Wilwood makes a slick 12" rotor with aluminum hub that fits the early Ford spindle. The old steering arm had a wider bolt pattern and a curve that wouldn't work with the shock. Dad took the lead on this one and fabbed up a new steering arm that clears the shock. We ended up with quite a bit of spring droop after overhauling the factory spring packs. About 7". After quite a bit of searching around for a long travel 90/10 shock, I ended up getting custom shocks made. They're actually designed for IMCA modifieds. Minimal rebound valving with stout compression valving makes them like a 90/10. At the first test and tune we had some bad death wobble. The aluminum tie rod was fluttering like a guitar string up to about 90mph and then it would calm down. We had hopes of not needing a steering stabilizer but it had to go back on. Too spooky to drive. It takes some brain reprogramming to keep your foot on the floor when you can't steer.  :o All told we lost 60lbs off the nose. Unsprung weight to boot. 60' times improved to 1.43-1.44. I'm headed toward sneaking up my launch RPM. It's set at 2800 right now.

Video from races 5/8/2021:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leaac6oPzRU
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 01:24:26 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2021, 03:58:56 PM »
That is cool guy stuff right there. Great looking video. It seems to set the front end down somewhat gently.  Good combination.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2021, 09:39:56 AM »
Looks great 60lbs is not bad at all

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »
We had another fun summer of drag racing. Dad was able to reunite with several high school classmates. FE's and F100's seem to attract old guys.  ;D   My driving has improved to a point that I usually make it to the semi finals most race nights.

The local track had it's season finale Wally race last night. We thought as a last ditch effort for the 10's, we would try a 2" Super Sucker. The truck liked it! We ran a new best of 11.06@116. It didn't get us to the 10's but any improvement in bracket racing is a win in my book.

Below is a link to a video that a friend took with slow motion. I thought it was pretty cool. Especially since it was the same pass that we ran our new best time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt7xTs2soBk
Kevin McCullah

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2021, 10:41:45 AM »
Awesome wheelstand, Kevin, truck looks great!  Way to put the hurt on the Batmobile  ;D
Jay Brown

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2021, 12:43:24 PM »
Great launch!  Super cool you had a great season. I imagine the off season will yield a 10.90 first weekend next year.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2021, 07:44:28 AM »
Great launch! That thing looks exactly like a '62 Unibody that I used to have...although it was a bit slower with a 300 I6.  ;D I sure loved that truck!

I noticed that your front tires stop turning immediately after coming off the ground. I wonder if your front brakes are dragging just a bit? Not sure if it'd gain you any ET, but might be worth looking at.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. Will pass em on to dad.

Jay- The Batmobile belongs to Sherman Umberger. He's a super nice guy. Awesome drag racing family. I wish the video ran another few seconds. It would have caught him getting loose and crossing right behind me.

Doug- The brakes do slightly drag. I wasn't a 100% happy with the way the calipers mounted up. They're 4 piston calipers so they have to be mounted dead nuts centered with the rotor. The shim washer kit that Wilwood sent didn't have the exact thickness of washer we needed. McMaster-Carr would probably have the shim washers I need. Will revisit this winter.

One of the improvements I forgot to mention was the aluminum drive shaft. The trucks usual 60' times were always 1.43-1.44. The first pass I made with the aluminum drive shaft, the 60' time improved to a solid 1.42. I was surprised. I thought it was going to help pick up some on the big end. But after 40 passes, the only improvement we ended up with was 60' times. I reckon with a more aerodynamic car it may have helped on the big end. The truck has the same aerodynamic qualities as a refrigerator. 
Kevin McCullah

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2021, 09:32:30 AM »
Next summer I'm going to make you come over the hill to Bandimere!
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2022, 05:32:46 PM »
It's been a while since I've updated our progress. Time just seems to fly these days. Sheesh.

We spent another winter shedding weight of the truck. The first thing we did was haul out the seats and slider frame. I found a bomber looking seat that fit pretty well. Made a pair of custom brackets and called it good. This was good for about 95lbs.

The next thing we did was trim all the fat off the doors and replaced the windows with red plexiglass. This netted us about 27lbs per door.

We hauled out the back window and made a plexiglass replacement for it too. It looks cool and all but it's sucks to drive in the dark.

Last thing we did was replace the steel back wheels with some aluminum ones. I took a shine to the wheels that mbrunson427 had made for his Mustang so I called Bogart and had a pair made. It took 4 months to get em but damn are they nice! Dropped about 17lbs per wheel.

And after all that, we FINALLY got our ten second time slip. Just barely.

Note how the 60' foot time is missing? This is because the truck wheelies waaaay past the 60' beams now. Especially after a light spray of VHT. The few time slips I've got with a 60' time show in the 1.41 range. So this is where we're at now. We're working on limiting straps (expired harnesses) to shorten the front axle drop. Will post a few pics when we get it figured out.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 05:35:18 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2022, 02:17:47 PM »
 Great update. Glad to see you are keeping busy!
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2022, 08:26:42 AM »
How cool wheel stand and all.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2022, 08:47:00 AM »
I missed this update! I like the new wheels. Wishing we had the race car out.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2022, 12:45:10 PM »
Is the steering rack and pinion or pitman arm?  On my truck I had to beef up the mount for the steering box to get rid of the death wobble.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2022, 10:44:38 PM »
After last winter's weight loss (about 183lb) the truck developed quite the wheelie issue. After a particularly hard launch a few months ago, it almost came down on top of the guard rail. So, we decided before wrecking it, we needed to calm the wheelies down. We tried several things. It's a hard thing to dial back without hurting the time slip. Lowering the 2-step rev limit worked but the 60' time suffered. Unfortunately, the front shocks have fixed valving and are not adjustable. They would have been the easiest way to slow the front end lift.

We ended up using expired Simpson harness straps to shorten the front axle drop. The shock towers had a couple of existing holes that worked great to bolt the harness buckles to.

It took some trial and error to get just the right amount of slack under the leaf spring. We tried all kinds of things to set the slack/spring gap with. Pry stick handle, receiver hitch, beer can, WD40 can. We finally settled on a can of Flex Seal. Got our 60' time back. ;D

Kevin McCullah