Author Topic: Update on the FE Power Cylinder Head Testing  (Read 19687 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Update on the FE Power Cylinder Head Testing
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2020, 12:11:31 PM »
Thanks Mike, but my guess is that those would be much more expensive than the ones I'm doing.  Also, most of these companies aren't interested in doing small production runs of custom parts, not enough money in it for them.  Reminds me of the time that Barry R and I tried to get Cloyes to do the adjustable timing set; they waffled for a year and finally said no, and that was a production run of 100 sets.  I guess it takes somebody crazy like me to do this kind of stuff LOL!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2020, 12:26:49 PM »
Maybe they could make you a batch and save you all the effort?

You have obviously never met Jay??? LOL.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
I'm just still not sold that the cast ones you are making are the answer. For comparable products, such as the Manton pieces, they are using billet tool steel. I do agree with Henry Ford, "chop your own wood and it'll warm you twice", but I'd hate to see you keep running up against a wall.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2020, 08:18:21 PM »
Well, I guess I'll find out; that's what the testing and very high spring pressures are for.  For what it's worth, if I could make them, or have them made, out of billet steel, at any reasonable price, I'd do so...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2020, 07:27:24 PM »
Reid Machine does make 426 Hemi (nitro applications) from billet steel. Maybe a call to them?

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/cam-valvetrain/turning-hemi-rocker-arms-into-works-of-art-at-reid-machine/

Well, I guess I'll find out; that's what the testing and very high spring pressures are for.  For what it's worth, if I could make them, or have them made, out of billet steel, at any reasonable price, I'd do so...
Bob Maag

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2020, 07:50:22 PM »
Billet tool steel sure is sexy, but you guys may be surprised just how well a quality cast steel part can work.

This ain't grandpa's gray iron!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2020, 08:25:02 PM »
Reid Machine does make 426 Hemi (nitro applications) from billet steel. Maybe a call to them?

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/cam-valvetrain/turning-hemi-rocker-arms-into-works-of-art-at-reid-machine/

I think you guys don't understand my objectives on this whole project.  I'm trying to make an economical top end package, and the billet steel rockers just don't fit.  To give an example, I looked at Reid Machine's web site.  The cheapest set of billet steel rockers they sell go for about $3200 for the set of 16, and that's just the rockers, no shafts or stands.  Most are more, one complete set goes for $5500.  I'm trying to deliver heads, the intake adapter, and the complete rocker setup for around $6000.  No way I can hold that price with a billet steel rocker setup.

If all I wanted to do was build the highest end parts for an FE, with no regard to price, I'd go with a billet steel rocker.  But that's not my objective; I'm trying to put together a package that is reasonably priced, and will still make tons of power right out of the box.  Billet steel rockers are not going to make that program.

Iskenderian used to make a cast iron rocker for the FE.  They are currently sought after by a lot of the stock eliminator racers; those rockers were practically indestructible.  I'm betting that the 4140 steel rockers that I'm working on now are going to be nearly indestructible also.  If not, I'll find the weak spots and make the changes required to get them there.  As Bill mentioned, there isn't any reason a cast 4140 rocker won't work.

Anyway, finally got the first intake rocker fully machined, here's a couple pictures showing the angled adjuster:

Jay Brown

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2020, 09:23:48 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but 'around' $6k for the complete package seems like an incredible deal, especially given the power potential with minimal work. As long as the center 'drum' of the rocker is thick enough to hold up to the twisting forces, I can't see why they wouldn't work, and work quite well. Are there any concerns about side loading with the angled pushrod, or side wear?

I remember lengthy discussions on the old forum about how "cast steel" was not a thing. Arguments made by a self proclaimed expert who shall remain nameless (but if the Shoe fits  ;)).
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2020, 09:36:30 PM »
There are certainly concerns about side loading, but I think I've got that covered with the thrust bearings that go between the rocker pairs and also between the exhaust rocker and the stand.  Didn't see any issue on the dyno first time around, so hopefully it's a non-issue.

I think Shoe was talking about crankshafts, and the "cast steel" material claimed by Scat that was really just cast nodular iron; apparently a marketing ploy.  According to the foundry where I get the rocker castings, steel is cast all the time, including the 4140 steel that these rockers are made from, and also various grades of stainless steel.  The 4140 cast steel is about double the strength of normal cast grey iron that engine blocks are cast from.
Jay Brown

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2020, 11:31:14 PM »
To put in a bit of support for Jay's comment (using a degree in Chemistry and a couple of years as a metallurgical process engineer at FoMoCo), melt steel and put it into a mold and the object that comes out of the mold is cast steel. The main difference between iron---an element, and steel---a mixture---is that steel has carbon in it. It also has a bunch of other elements in it, most likely, as well, but the difference between the two is the presence of carbon, and the amount of carbon that's mixed in.

KS

plovett

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »
To put in a bit of support for Jay's comment (using a degree in Chemistry and a couple of years as a metallurgical process engineer at FoMoCo), melt steel and put it into a mold and the object that comes out of the mold is cast steel. The main difference between iron---an element, and steel---a mixture---is that steel has carbon in it. It also has a bunch of other elements in it, most likely, as well, but the difference between the two is the presence of carbon, and the amount of carbon that's mixed in.

KS

I agree with that.  I think the term steel has commonly been associated with the forging process because steel has commonly been forged. 

If you scramble one egg and boil the other, they are both still eggs.  Lots of different kinds of steel, though.

JMO,

pl
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 07:02:24 AM by plovett »

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2020, 06:47:19 AM »
4140 is a "chromoly" alloy, properly cast it should be very fatigue resistant
Woody

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2020, 07:14:49 AM »

KS

That is correct. 

A 4140 steel has ~.4% carbon.  A 4130 steel has ~.3% carbon, etc. 

You can also have hypereutectic steel, which is a much higher carbon composition.   (Hypereutectic pistons contain a lot more silicon in the aluminum than normal.)
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2020, 08:26:54 AM »
Glad to read up on the progress. One request....please don't use Unobtainium. Thank you Jay and supporting Staff!!!
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2020, 08:51:24 AM »
Not to highjack ,what is the alloy know as tool steel? How much carbon is in it? Would it be too brittle to use as a rocker?
At what point,alloy wise ,could you run the rockers without bushings? Or would that call for a lot more oil and oil control upstairs?
Lance H