Author Topic: CJ love  (Read 28273 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: CJ love
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2021, 08:51:02 PM »
Hey, I didn't say that letting the washer bend was the right way to do it.  I just said that I did it  ;D

So did I  :)

Twice - - 'cuz I learn "hard"...

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2021, 08:53:11 PM »
Every ARP torque spec that I recall reading has been with their own lube specified.
Some guys seem to detest the newer "Ultra Lube", but ARP seems very fond of the stuff, and packages it with many of their fasteners.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2021, 12:49:24 AM »
This is what I was talking about. Even though the ARP lube, comes closer to spec, on the first torque cycle, ALL lubes, still take at least 7 cycles to reach the end result. So, in my mind, engine oil is just as good as anything.
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2021, 06:23:28 AM »
Here we go again............

Brent, I know that you can't be wrong and you never are. But, with all do respect, you just are!

Finer threads have a larger CSA, just like a larger bolt has a larger CSA. There is no difference. It makes no difference what material the bolt is made of. It can be aluminum or 240K steel, the CSA never changes. A 1" aluminum bolt is weaker with a 8 pitch as opposed to a 1" bolt, with a 16 pitch and the 16 pitch. The 1x16 bolt will require a higher torque value, to attain 75% yield. Replace the word aluminum with 240k alloy steel and it will always be the same. The thread depth, is what makes the difference, alloys being the same. A 16 pitch thread has a depth of approx .0406 and a 8 pith, .0813. Therefore, it makes the root smaller along with the CSA.

As a graduate engineer, I'm surprised you would argue this point, it's simple mechanics. I'm posting a torque chart to demo what I'm talking about.

What I posted above, is the header to what you posted and the torque that ARP gives, is with engine oil. They don't recommend anything else.

Frank, I don't disagree with you on the materials engineering standpoint of it, but I will tell you that I will follow ARP's suggested torque specs for the fastener I'm using.   I will also make adjustments based on my experience level with these engines and the parts that I use.

I will also make the following comments:

1.  Torque specs vary depending on the material, fastener length, lubricant, thread design (rolled, etc.) and a myriad of other variables.  ARP has different torque specs for each material.

2.  I've never cycled any fastener 7 times, unless it's a fastener that's associated with a bearing clearance and I've had to loosen/tighten the fastener that many times in order to dial in clearances.  As a matter of fact, your higher end rods, such as Carrillo, Oliver, Pankl, etc., will specifically specify to cycle the fasteners 2-3 times to burnish in the fastener's seating surface and then you're done.   They will also specify which lubricant to use and I don't know of any quality rod manufacturer that specifies motor oil as a lubricant, because motor oil will not support the amount of pressure that's generated.   ARP used to show torque specs for using their ARP lubricant and motor oil both, and the torque specs were greatly different.  Now, with their most common fasteners, they will recommend ARP lube only, and when an ARP fastener (such as an L19, WS, etc.) is used on a high end rod where the torque spec on a 7/16" fastener will generate anywhere from 85-105 lb-ft of torque or up to .0065" of stretch, the rod manufacturer usually specifies something like a CMD high pressure lubricant.

3.  Torque spec isn't the end-all-be-all of tightening a fastener.  As Barry eluded to, it's the least accurate method of tightening a fastener.   Torque/angle is very accurate but in the end, we're all trying to stretch the bolt to the correct length.   On some fasteners, you can't check stretch, such as a head bolt, main bolt, head stud, main stud, etc.  So, we rely on the bolt manufacturer's specs for tightening that fastener.   In that instance, I'll pull out the piece of paper that comes with the fastener and use it. 

4.  When you have to use the torque (lb-ft) spec, you're more relying on faith that you got there, because you're trusting that the lubricant that's used is allowing the fastener to move freely, the fastener's seating surface is perfectly square, a washer isn't deforming, the finish is smooth, etc. 

Only when you start using higher end tools, such as digital torque wrenches, stretch gauges, etc., that you can see what happens to a lb-ft torque value when you tighten a fastener.   My digital torque wrench will measure lb-ft and degrees.  When I torque a fastener using torque-angle, it will spit back at me what lb-ft we ended up at.  I will tell you from experience that when the correct torque-angle is used and stretch is verified, the lb-ft value can vary by 5-6 lb-ft from fastener to fastener.

So, in regards to your bolt chart that you posted, that's all good for a Grade 2, Grade 5, or Grade 8 fastener, but it's not the end-all chart for those fasteners, because in all actuality (and I'll state again), torque specs vary with fastener length, the type of thread, the lubricant, etc.  Above that, I will still use ARP's suggested torque spec for the fastener I'm using.  Not only because I'm trusting that they have done their research, but my experience level gives me faith to do so. 

I know you'll have some sort of retort that attempts to disqualify my engineering background, engine building procedures, or whatever, *but I simply don't care*, and I'm done discussing this with you.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:38:14 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2021, 08:41:55 AM »
To a degree, it all seems fairly moot to me. When was the last time anybody saw a failed rod bolt, main bolt or head bolt?
I know torque can affect clearance readings, so maintaining consistent practices throughout the build would be a high priority. And exactly how accurate is everyones torque wrench? 99.9%? 95%? At 95%, that's a variance of over 5 ft lbs. Does everyone have their torque wrenches calibrated to industry standards every year?

Not being argumentative, just pointing out some basic facts.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »
To a degree, it all seems fairly moot to me. When was the last time anybody saw a failed rod bolt, main bolt or head bolt?

This all started over an 8lb discrepancy on a camshaft bolt. Not a rod, head bolt, or main bolt. I’ve seen a rod bolt break.  Never seen a cam bolt break.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2021, 09:37:43 AM »
I know torque can affect clearance readings, so maintaining consistent practices throughout the build would be a high priority. And exactly how accurate is everyones torque wrench? 99.9%? 95%? At 95%, that's a variance of over 5 ft lbs. Does everyone have their torque wrenches calibrated to industry standards every year?

Not being argumentative, just pointing out some basic facts.

I've seen a rod bolt break.  I think Barry has too.  With no other symptoms or issues, just a rod bolt failure.

Totally agree on the accuracy of a lb-ft only torque wrench.  That's why torque-angle and rod bolt stretch methods are far more accurate.  When you measure a bolt stretch, you will see what it needs to make it stretch that far, so the accuracy of a torque wrench doesn't play a part in that.  I'm *not* saying that torque wrench accuracy is not important, just saying that when you use other methods of torquing, the accuracy of your wrench becomes less important.

Torque wrenches get calibrated here on a regular basis.

I haven't seen a cam bolt failure before, but I believe Barry has seen two....both due to washer issues.   
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2021, 10:32:48 AM »
     I have seen at least ten "stock LeMans rod bolt" failures over the years. Two were on NOS rods setting just put in an engine on the engine stand , never fired up.
Aftermarket rod bolts fail too , usually because they have been torqued too many times and never checked for stretch , simply "torqued".
    I've never hurt a main cap bolt but have ruined head bolts and studs because of my stupidity.

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2021, 03:47:17 PM »
One thing not mentioned is feel. I know not scientific, but sometime you torque a bolt and just feels wrong time to check everything. You can have a bolt overstretch and still meet a torque spec and fail. Defective fasteners do happen and why bolt stretch is best method when possible. When not torque feel can give important feedback.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2021, 04:04:52 PM »
One thing not mentioned is feel...

That made me laugh!  When I snapped by hip skiing in Colorado, the surgeon told me about the screws he was going to put in.  We started talking about torque specs (yeah - I'm a nerd!) and he mentioned that he only used the bone screw manufacturer's chart as a rough reference.  The key for him was feel! 

I guess the penalty for stripping those out is pretty high.  They don't seem to make Helicoils or Time-serts for bones.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2021, 04:11:38 PM »
Now that made me laugh Bill.
Check this helicoil out from a surgery I had last week.
My dentist said he actually has a torque wrench to mount the tooth. That part is coming.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2021, 04:23:10 PM »
Ok Marc.  This is going off the rails!  I raise you three titanium deck screws.  These are the actual ones the surgeon put in  :D

Seven years later I got them back when they put in a hip replacement.  I'm sure they'll be useful for hanging stuff in the shop:

Seriously - Good luck with the implant(s).

A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2021, 04:29:53 PM »
LOL
I’ve got a few of those in a knee.
Yeah we’ve pretty much jumped the track. We’ll get back on. I’m not worried.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:02:05 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2021, 05:39:12 PM »
Ok back to motors.
I had to work for the last few days  :P so while doing that I got my paperwork together in my engine book and noticed something strange. The rods had a 6800 in their PN which means 6.8 rod length. I ordered 6.7. Measured them up and sure enough they were 6.8. So another lesson, check pn’s when you unbox. Emailed Scat and they couldn’t have been nicer. And since they are only 40 minutes away from me I drove down today and made the swap. While I was there I got a tour of the shop. Man they are going full tilt making cranks. Learned something I did not know, that the billet cranks are made 100% in that shop.
Anyway got that done and came back to start fitting rod bearings.
Let me just say that even watching Brents vid twice and studying my little behind off I was flailing today. But I think I have a handle on it now because of a couple things.
I had forgotten about a certain size bearing and transposed another (stupid) size.
Let’s just say the learning curve got the best of me today but because of that mix up I actually had a light bulb moment and things became clear.
I have to mix sizes to get my target and I have to wait till May for the other size I need. Oh well, penance.
Anyway here’s my numbers. With standard CB743HN’s I have .003 clearance. Shooting for .0025. CB743HN1’s are back ordered. I’ll wait.
And thank you Brent for answering my ignorant questions.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »
I can have CB743HN1's at your door by the end of next week.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431