Author Topic: CJ love  (Read 28252 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: CJ love
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
Just got back from the shop.
They calibrate every block individually on the China rail.
I did the drill test and got a 3/16 in each. Snug in some, tight in others. The block is very, very clean.
So taking the middle of 5 and 6 we have .208 on 5 and .241 next to it on 6. Then adding the 3/16 drill bit at .1875.
I talked to them about it and they stood by their numbers but will redo it Monday morning.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2020, 06:04:42 PM »
Bill I don’t envy you on the back deal.
I’m a club member. Seems like it takes longer and longer to recover from that stuff.
But good drugs help :D
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2020, 06:26:25 PM »
Bill I don’t envy you on the back deal.
I’m a club member. Seems like it takes longer and longer to recover from that stuff.
But good drugs help :D

Yes indeed Marc!  If it rolls, flies, or floats, chances are I've crashed it.  I've been screwed back together so many times that there's an ample supply of good stuff here.  Fortunately I can only stand opiates for a short time.  The supply is safe for quite a while!

I'll be curious on the revised sonic numbers.  At least you can trust the relative values, which show decently low core shift.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:32:01 PM by WConley »
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2020, 10:55:30 PM »
Just got back from the shop.
They calibrate every block individually on the China rail.
I did the drill test and got a 3/16 in each. Snug in some, tight in others. The block is very, very clean.
So taking the middle of 5 and 6 we have .208 on 5 and .241 next to it on 6. Then adding the 3/16 drill bit at .1875.
I talked to them about it and they stood by their numbers but will redo it Monday morning.

The 3/16" drill bit result is promising, probably still a good block regardless of the sonic test.  Hopefully they will get it right next week and you'll get valid results.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2020, 04:49:11 AM »
Just show them the math, Marc.  It's hard to argue against math and logic. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2020, 06:10:24 AM »
Just show them the math, Marc.  It's hard to argue against math and logic.
Yup, I showed them the math. They were head scratching’ cause they believe in their procedure and were faced with a guy sticking a drill bit in between cylinders. Agreeing to do it again was a win.
This has actually been great for me as I now fully understand and can visualize what .1875 is. Or .241. Up to this point it was just numbers although I understood what they meant it wasn’t visual in my little brain. I realize that may be a “duh” to most of you but it’s kind of cool to learn what a dumbass you are.
This motor will teach me a lot.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »

it’s kind of cool to learn what a dumbass you are.

I still LOL when I think of this one.  47 year old me waking up from surgery after a ski crash in Breckenridge, CO.  The phone rings.  It's my dad.  "Son - I thought by now you would have run out of stupid!"

I deserved it.  The things my poor parents had to go through...

Marc - The engine will teach you a lot.  The most challenging builds can be the most satisfying.  This whole story is just so cool!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2020, 12:23:09 PM »
Marc,

If you buy me a hamburger and fries from In-N-Out I'll run down to the Valley with my Ebay sonic checker and we can have a "mapping party".

I have a "C" scratch .030 428 block with numbers about half of what you have there...but...you never know until you check.

This is one reason I say sonic checking is voodoo. Is it a viable science? Sure, when the planets align and sun spots are minimal.

Much like flow testing cylinder heads. Seems like stuff I have flowed don't get the happy numbers many others get.

BTW, according to your sonic check you could bore it .100 and still have a pretty good block for an FE. ::)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:29:08 PM by Tommy-T »

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »
It might be fun to use another instrument on the block if the numbers come back the same.
I haven’t been to In and Out in a while. Hmm, I’ll give you a ring and let you know.
Come to think of it, I should buy my own. Which would not stop an In and Out run.
Thanks for the offer.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2020, 02:43:07 PM »
I got some suspect numbers one time. Changed the battery and
They where back to normal

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »
Well it’s been three months since all that sonic check upheaval.
What I decided was that since it did well on the drill bit test and all other tests were good I had them just hone it to straighten everything up. So as little as possible. I’ll sonic it when I get it back.
This all led to another interesting thing for me. I thought that you finished your bore and ordered pistons to fit the bore. What the owner of the shop told me is the process they have adopted over the years is they now get the cylinder close on an initial bore/hone. Then they tell you what the finished spec will be and they have you order pistons. When they have the new pistons in their hands they now finish the bore after measuring and confirming piston size. I know, seems overkill but in sitting down and talking with him he told me that these days pistons are usually right on as compared to the old days but every now and then they get pistons that are off. Since they do a ton of race motors it forced them to adopt this strategy.
It’s interesting to me that they take such care with things but that sonic check was so far off. BTW, thank you all for getting me to think differently. That was an ah hah moment for me in many ways.

Ok onward.
The bore is going to finish at 4.170. Pistons are ordered. Shooting for 9.5 static.
Heads measure 69cc’s. I had them built leaving the original valves in it but could be talked into new valves if it makes a big enough difference. I had them finished before I knew the insides of the block were junk because if you remember they had to be reconstructed so I threw the shop a bone and had them finish the heads.
Buying a 4.250 crank and 6.7 rods.
Lots of air to suck through those heads but as mentioned above that could work well here in LA.
Going to go roller cam.
It will go behind an auto trans in either car.

Just want a nice running torquey (is that a word) motor. I’m not looking for a big hp number here.
Going to pop it into the Fairlane first. It may end up in the wagon but that motor is running great right now so why not get the Fairlane running. It has a 427 BBM coming eventually but kind of waiting on that to see how certain things develop.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2021, 01:22:17 PM »
Got my block and rotating assembly back yesterday.
Spent the morning putting my hands on it by chasing all the bolt holes, cleaning leftover crud in the water jackets and just eyeing everything like cam bearings to make sure all is well. Only thing I found was in the rear cam bearing. When I first looked at it, it was from the bad angle (see pics), then I saw the good angle. Alignment looks ok to me, whatcha’ all think?
One thing I did not know (maybe a po did it). The oil supply gallery to the pump is 1/2 in diameter. Is that a CJ thing? Took a quick look on the Cobra Jet site and did not find anything but I will keep looking.
QMP did a nice job on everything. Just needs a little more cleaning.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 01:24:21 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2021, 04:09:06 PM »
Previous owner for sure on the oil passage, they didn't come like that.  Hard to tell on the cam bearing, a close up photo picks up minor scratches that really aren't a concern.  If it feels smooth to your finger I think it'd be OK.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2021, 04:17:00 PM »
Yeah I think it’s ok. There’s a couple rag hairs here that need to be cleaned out but it’s all smooth. The telescopic shots on these darn cameras really make it look worse than it is.
Been working on my mic’ing and measuring skills this afternoon. ::)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »
Initial fitment check of main bearings.
I’m going to label this under, things you don’t notice unless you’re actually doing it all.
I checked another set of caps I have and they are the same.
Gives me the heebee geebees.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428