Author Topic: 66 Fairlane Hardtop gets a birthday  (Read 20798 times)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: 66 Fairlane Hardtop gets a birthday
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 01:33:37 PM »
That almost looks to nice to put in the car. Thought about making garage art out of it?  ;)
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2020, 03:38:35 PM »
Those Chinese safteyboot is perfect for welding, you can catch the sparks
between your toes so they dont bounce and set fire to something :D

Nice looking car and Engine

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2020, 11:41:14 PM »
That almost looks to nice to put in the car. Thought about making garage art out of it?  ;)

Not quite the art some of you guys produce but doing my best on a budget in these uncertain times. Getting the car running again quickly rather than exactly how I want it has become of primary importance so a few of the niceties have had to fall by the wayside.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2020, 01:07:37 AM »
So its getting very cold here & the family/social life is picking up again as we transition out of the covid crisis. All this means slow progress but a few things have got done.

Both bumpers have been cleaned up, had their brackets and bits blasted, painted & they have been refitted to the car.

The steering box was disassembled, cleaned, inspected, deemed to be in good condition & reassembled. There are a couple of points of interest here. Its an Aussie 16:1 box but most likely just an opposite hand US item so take these points with a grain of salt.

1) I was advised by Randy at Stangersite that my box should most likely have 54 balls in it. It indeed did have 54. But there was space for another two with room to spare,.... so in they went! I can't really see why you would want significant space in a worm drive system so time will tell. Will be interesting to see if the steering response tightens up.

2) Bottom seals were hard to come by in Australia and as I wasn't removing the needle bearings (all looked good) the seal would be hard to remove without damaging these. There is however a largeish, for want of a better word, counterbore in the bottom below the seal bore. It looked to be concentric to shaft and rough measurements couldn't prove otherwise so I thought I would see if a seal could be sourced with the right ID for the shaft that would fit in the counterbore. There was nothing imperial. But as luck would have it a metric 43x28x7mm fitted in just right. So the original seal stayed in place & this went in over the top. Could be a handy fix for sealing the box while still in the car.

Heres some pics.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2020, 09:05:33 PM »
Ok, small update. My ceramic coated headers were looking a little worse for wear after 20+ years. Not wanting to fork out for another coating I decided to paint them with the best high heat paint I have found (Rustoleom) just to freshen them up. Luckily they fitted in the BBQ so I could give them a few heat bakes :)

Also made some stands & got the engine onto the bench where I can fit the flexplate & then mate it all up to the trans.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2020, 07:57:20 AM »
Andy, I think you're going to love the smell those headers make after they've been in the Barbie.  Make sure you've had lunch first so you don't get too hungry!   Did you blast them first before the Rustoleum treatment? 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »
Hi Bruce. No didn't blast them. The ceramic coating was still reasonable. Just rubbed them a bit with abrasive paper & wiped them with prepsol. Will see what happens.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2020, 08:30:46 PM »
Managed to get everything bolted together on the weekend. Little bit of work left to do cleaning up & painting ancillary brackets & stuff but my main attention now turns to the engine bay prep. It looks so cool sitting on the bench I almost want to leave it there!

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2020, 11:36:21 PM »
Very cool, making progress is always a good thing. Are the exhaust headers custom made? I can`t imagine that there are many companies building headers for FE powered RHD Fairlanes! I can imagine having both the starter and steering box on the same side eats up a lot of what little space a FE Fairlane (or Mustang) normally has. Good thing you don`t have clutch linkage to squeeze in there as well.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2020, 01:05:20 AM »
Hi Rory. Yes I made them 23 years ago. And you are right, there is not much room, hence the decision at the time to go tri-y design as it would be a nearly impossible to get 4 pipes out that side neatly. In Australia most of these era cars had hydraulic clutch sets ups which would make it easier....although I think the MC would hit the rocker cover....I do have a toploader lurking around.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2020, 08:08:54 PM »
Well at least 'mini-me' is finished!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:13:57 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2020, 06:05:49 PM »
A bit more progress over the weekend. Little fingers came in handy to start the engine mount bolts through the headers!

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2020, 06:10:43 PM »
That's a good day! Bet it feels nice to have the engine back in.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2020, 11:38:38 PM »
Yeh, great to have it in. Still lots of work to go though. With the chassis connectors the handbrake mechanism no longer fits, need to fit new fuel lines, trans lines and the hundred other little things. Learnt something about modifying the floor for GV units too.  Before you do verify the condition of your trans mount. Seems mine had collapsed. I ordered a new one for this build and its nearly 5/8 higher! So guess what hits the floor now! Grrrrrrrrr.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2020, 06:44:52 PM »
Well it's been on the road for a few weeks now. Did a cam break in, drove it about 20 miles & dropped the oil. It seemed to free rev quite snappy but I was a bit disappointed with how it went on the road and was starting to doubt my cam decision. I was aware though that the carb was straight off my other engine and would most likely be too fat everywhere. Having the EFI to put back on I was not going to mess with the carb. So I put another lot of 'break in' oil in it for now and and refitted the Holley Sniper. After it sitting around for 2-1/2 years I was worried about it drying out & whether it would still function properly. I can report that it is operating properly and it is chalk & cheese. Picked up power significantly everywhere & I think I will be happy with cam choice (although I miss the rumpty rump). I am yet to see how it really goes as I have break in springs (85lb on seat) still in. Need to swap springs, another oil change, do a bit more tuning on the Sniper & let it rip! Also contemplating moving the Pump/surge tank as it gets nasty hot under the hood. A few pics 'caus pics are good. :)