Author Topic: 66 Fairlane Hardtop gets a birthday  (Read 20794 times)

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
66 Fairlane Hardtop gets a birthday
« on: July 25, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »
Having owned this car for 24 years I have been threatening to give it a birthday for some time. It is a great 20 footer but there are areas of the body that need attention & body work is something I don't/can't do. As I have managed to make some progress lately I thought I would start a thread.

My hand was sort of forced last year when I forgot about a leaking water pump & drove it, rather hard & ended up with all my remaining coolant in the sump. So out came the engine.....you know how it goes from there.

Pics of the car before. Yes it looks like there is nothing wrong with the body but there areas of filler making its presence known.

Pulling a rocker cover exposed this

Engine coming out & on stand

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:05:36 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Re: 66Fairlane gets a birthday
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 08:31:31 PM »
With engine out I decided to fix up the hump where I had cut it to fit the GV overdrive. So I dropped the trans onto the ground & attempted to slide it out. Car was a little low & I couldn't slide it out by about an inch so I jacked up the front corner probably about an inch & a half, reset the jack stand dragged out the trans/OD unit. Feeling pretty good with myself I had a beer & walked away.

Let me say at this point the rear window had been 'stuck' in by a previous owner. The proper seal was not present so the rear window was a stressed member. I was always surprised out how little this car twisted when jacked up.

8 weeks later I was in the shed looking over things when BANG & I mean BANG!....this happened. I had forgotten to lower the front corner.

This took the wind out of my sails for quite some time & it was several months before I got back into it.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 08:52:42 PM »
I have always wanted to put sub-frame connectors in this car, especially since it has the front cut off to convert it to right hand drive, so now seemed liked the perfect time.

I have seen a lot of people put RHS from the transmission carrier arms (for want of a better word) through the rear floor to the rear torque boxes. I didn't want that so after I examined how Ford did it (I have a convertible too) I decided to go down the sills. I like my cars low so ground clearance is also an issue.

I removed the small brace where the front seat bolt goes & cut a hole to get to the rear torque box.

Fabricating & inserting the sill braces

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 08:59:19 PM »
I figured I would concentrate on the body & hopefully the Aussie dollar would improve before I buy engine parts. That has not happened yet!

Next up was to box in where the seat fronts bolt, similar to the convertible.

I also made up braces to go from the trans arms to the new box section.

Then I had to fabricate some braces to help tie the Sill braces to the front torque boxes

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 09:02:26 PM »
Well yesterday I finally got it all welded in. Well mostly, I still have some tidying up to do. This should stiffen it up substantially!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:04:11 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: 66 Fairlane Hardtop gets a birthday
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 08:38:59 AM »
Nice handy work. It really sucks for the back glass to pop like that. Watch out for the “While you are at it bug!!” No telling what else you may decide needs fixed or tweaked.  ::)
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
nice looking work . very good .

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 04:39:39 PM »
Watch out for the “While you are at it bug!!”
The bane of my existence. Took me a lifetime to figure out how not to do that. Or did it. ::)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 08:00:55 PM »
Nice work Andy.

Watch out for the “While you are at it bug!!”
The bane of my existence. Took me a lifetime to figure out how not to do that. Or did it. ::)

Yeah, I have a skeleton on jack stands for what started out as a collapsed lifter 3yrs ago.  ::)
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 07:40:06 AM »
Nice work on the chassis modifications.  That rear window episode would have deflated me for a while too, glad to see you are back at it!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
Its weird, ever since I have owned the car every time I have looked at that rear window I have thought "Jesus, I hope I never have to replace that!"

Anyway, after nearly 9 months it seems like the window has arrived! Made in Thailand.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 05:03:49 AM »
I have applied some body adhesive to some of the seems underneath and now it just awaits paint. Inside I have applied Chinese Dynamat rip off (about half the price). I thought this might be fun. Noooo!! It takes quite some time and the fun stopped after about 5 min. Its hard work getting into all the crevasses. Nearly done, just one door to go. I have also cleaned up & reconditioned the shifter & hump. A little more wiring to tidy up & the carpet & seats can go back in.

wcbrowning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 01:02:11 PM »
Getting lots of work done!  May I ask, what is the color of your car called?  Is it a factory color?  Thanks!

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »
is it more difficult to drive a right hand drive car than a left hand drive , shifting mostly , or is just something you grow up doing ? I am not trying to be a smart a , it is something I have wonder about . you are making nice progress on your car looks outstanding .

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 11:00:12 PM »
I own both LH and RH drive stick shift cars, it’s not that hard swapping between them. Hardest part about driving a LH drive car on a RH drive road system is when pulling out to overtake. You have to rely on your passenger to see if the opposite direction lane is clear.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 11:48:33 AM »
Late to your posts but...

Nice work on the sub-frame! Even better, the design is rock solid and better than just welding in pre-made sub-frame connectors sold here in the USA.

The window issue was strange and one I've never seen before, this even while twisting some rear body roff and fender panels on a drag race car (69 Camaro however). I wonder if the glass had been removed before (i.e. not OEM factory installed) and when it was re-installed, one corner or so actually touched the steel bodywork (as opposed  being totally surround by the flexy rubber seal).
Bob Maag

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 05:53:27 PM »
is it more difficult to drive a right hand drive car than a left hand drive , shifting mostly , or is just something you grow up doing ? I am not trying to be a smart a , it is something I have wonder about . you are making nice progress on your car looks outstanding .

As you alluded to it is natural as you just grow up doing it. Haven't driven many lefties but it feels weird for a while & then you settle in. As Todd said overtaking is the hardest part...……..and fast food drive thru's.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 05:56:51 PM »
I wonder if the glass had been removed before (i.e. not OEM factory installed) and when it was re-installed, one corner or so actually touched the steel bodywork (as opposed  being totally surround by the flexy rubber seal).

Yeh, I mentioned earlier in my thread that it had been glued in by a previous owner. No rubber seal at all. Wasn't touching anywhere but obviously stressed enough. Probably would have given up sooner if I had raced it with slicks!

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 08:12:29 PM »
thanks for the driving tip on the right hand drive , thanks guys

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 10:05:27 PM »
Great work, keep at it. Lovely car.
Whats your Take on the moisture in the rocker covers? Looks very clean.
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 10:41:52 PM »
Whats your Take on the moisture in the rocker covers? Looks very clean.

As per earlier "My hand was sort of forced last year when I forgot about a leaking water pump & drove it, rather hard & ended up with all my remaining coolant in the sump. So out came the engine.....you know how it goes from there."

Never really found an obvious smoking gun. Think it just got hot as hell & overcame the head gasket in a few places, although it was a hell of a lot, several litres in the sump. Have had the heads pressure tested & came out ok. Will be running a different block anyway so if there is a crack somewhere I can't see it won't be a bother.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 02:36:26 AM »
Well today my heat shield went back in, underlay, carpet and front seats. Rears will stay out until body work around c pillars is done. Booked in at body shop in 2 weeks.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 06:24:43 AM »
That dash dont look like any 66 Fairlane i have seen. Is it That the righthand drive dash
looks like that or is it from something else?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »
maybe a 66   67  falcon ?

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 04:59:47 PM »
Australian production, RH drive Falcon GS/GT dash from ‘69 to ‘71.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
Underneath has been finished for a while, just been waiting on the body guy. Today was the day  :D

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »
Ahhh Progress! This guy is not mucking around & hopes to have it back to me in two weeks.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 11:52:12 PM »
Got these from my body guy today. Off the gun awaiting clear coat. I'm getting excited.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 11:55:28 PM »
While its been in the body shop I have been prepping some other stuff. There was a valve job done on these heads less than 10000 miles ago so I thought I would just freshen up the seats old school style. They came up ok.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:04:00 AM by 66FAIRLANE »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »
Yeeeha! Its back home & has rear glass. Makes it look like a car again. Let the work begin........….errrrr continue.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 08:20:36 PM »
Andy, what color is that?  The photos look like a light violet, and probably metallic.  Looks like the painter did an outstanding job too.  Thanks, Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 09:01:16 PM »
The car looks amazing and in less than a month. I heard cars could be painted that fast outside of a TV show, but never saw it. Congrats for being the chosen one.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 10:26:25 PM »
Its a 1980's Honda colour. Purpley, silvery & yes metallic. It wasn't a full bare metal job. He just repaired the bad bits, buzzed the lot back & shot the whole car. Never seen it look so good.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 06:14:57 PM »
Just a brief update. Travel, family commitments & a persistent back injury have meant time not a lot of time on the car. I have managed to get the windscreen trim & wiper panel back on. Very scary procedure on a freshly painted car! The window mechanisms were very tight so out they came & had a soak in petrol. Several soaks & lots of compressed air later they were ready to lube. I used boat trailer bearing grease in the gear mechanism & silicon spray lube on rollers & spring area. The spring was prised open with a screwdriver for cleaning & lube. Managed to get them back in & one window yesterday. The difference is amazing. Have placed more sound deadener inside the doors on the outer skin & am doing more now in the boot (trunk :) ). Have my block back from the machine shop. They hit porosity in one of the bores & fitted a sleeve. I now have to dummy it up for zero deck & return it. Hardest thing is finding the time & having my back hold up.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 06:11:42 AM »
Getting more done as my back allows. Have full interior back in car, boot (ok,...trunk) fully sound deadened with carpet & battery box back in.
Managed to dummy up the block for final decking yesterday. I just used one rod & piston & cycled it through the 4 holes. Checked with a depth mic & then straight edge & feeler gauges to confirm. Will most likely gap the rings while I still have the block & then while it is at the shop I can assemble pistons, rods & rings in preparation. A few pics.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »
Looks good!  Your machine shop should indicate or reference off the crank centerline, which will correct the variation in deck heights.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 04:37:57 AM »
Got my block back from the machine shop zero decked. On to my bench, cam bearings installed & rear plugs in. One of them a previous owner had taped UNC so a special plug was made from a bolt.

I then had to wrestle the block onto my stand by myself due to the Chinabateatingfuckwit disease isolation. So I thought I would do the right thing and at least wear Chinese safety boots! Probably the last time as the weather is turning cold here. Block got painted, more plugs in, bottom end and cam in and all clocked up. That's how it sits now.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 08:45:29 PM »
no wonder your back hurts , we do what we have to do , don't we ?

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2020, 11:21:36 PM »
That's for sure, we do what we gotsta do. It does bite back sometimes though. This was well dodgy and a bit scary as the fold out trestle the block was on is piss weak and was wobbling all over the shop. A deep breathe and a drink was had when it was safe on the stand!

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2020, 09:46:08 PM »
Not much of an update but I have made some progress. Bottom end is in and heads back on. Currently measuring up the manifold as its going to need a tickle to sit properly. Looks like a bit of an angle top to bottom on one side (005 to 0020) and a straight 020ish off the other side. Also dummying the rocker assemblies to see if everything clears the holes. There is some evidence on some close conversations between pushrods and the bottom of the pushrod holes in the manifold. Also between retainers and underside of rockers as pictured.

I checked my valvetrain geometry mathematically. I measured the height of the fulcrum point of the valve (centre of rocker roller) from the rocker stand pad. Then deduced how far that was at mid lift (taking lash into account). Then for the rocker to be perpendicular to the valve at this point (line between valve fulcrum & shaft fulcrum) how far off the pad my rocker shaft centre had to be. This will give the same arc travel above & below midlift thus giving the smallest tip pattern & maximum use of rocker ratio...……...I think. Anyway the figures ended up that I need the shafts 050 higher. For a street engine I think this is close enough so won't be shimming stands.....unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Heres a few pics.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:12:43 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2020, 10:36:57 PM »
That's looking great!
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »
Have my manifold back from the machine shop. It needed a bit of a nibble to sit down properly. .020 to .030 on one face & a straight .020 off the other. I dummied it up with rocker gear again and the tubes on one side are very close. They may again 'lend their support' to a few pushrods....or maybe not. I did a little blending on the sides & roof of the port & it is ready to fit on permanently. I also have my sump cleaned and painted ready to go. Just need to clean up some more bits & it's full steam ahead. Seems like I spend most of my time cleaning stuff!

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2020, 09:04:44 AM »
Andy,
As a fellow Aussie with a love for the FE, can i ask what your comp ratio/ fuel/ timing/ cam @ 0.50 stats are?
i have a machined block on the stand and all parts that i have to build and i am concerned i might end up with comp just to high. i see you got flat tops so that gives me hope!!
I am in west Aus and everyone i speak to recommends running 95 not 98. General thoughts are the 98 is very inconsistent.
Lovely thread, great colour and good work on your behalf.
Hope the back holds out.
Joel

Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2020, 08:28:02 PM »
Hi Joel
Which heads do you have? The Edelbrock heads were about the only affordable head back when I first built this. The chamber sorta suits both 390 & 428. Unless you have pop ups or purely flat the compression is never going to be crazy with these heads on a 390. I didn't measure the chambers this build because it is what it is. Years ago when I did, the chambers were bigger than the Edelbrock spec anyway. I have zero decked this block & with the head facing over the years and the 10cc reliefs in the pistons it will probably just approach 10:1. I have never had detonation issues with multiple different carbs & now EFI. BUT I have always had a fairly slippery converter & they cover a multitude of tuning sins. With my old cam of 240/245@050 and a 110 split I used 18 degrees of initial with a quick curve up to 38 total & no vacuum (old converted YL twin point). I have not run the cam in this build for about 23 years and then it was in an old worn out engine with poor exhaust & it went surprisingly well. So I am looking forward to seeing how it runs in a fresh build. It will have more dynamic compression & I have pulled some converter out but I still don't think detonation will be an issue. I always use BP 98 without problems.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2020, 11:28:11 PM »
Slow progress but getting closer.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 01:33:37 PM »
That almost looks to nice to put in the car. Thought about making garage art out of it?  ;)

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2020, 03:38:35 PM »
Those Chinese safteyboot is perfect for welding, you can catch the sparks
between your toes so they dont bounce and set fire to something :D

Nice looking car and Engine

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2020, 11:41:14 PM »
That almost looks to nice to put in the car. Thought about making garage art out of it?  ;)

Not quite the art some of you guys produce but doing my best on a budget in these uncertain times. Getting the car running again quickly rather than exactly how I want it has become of primary importance so a few of the niceties have had to fall by the wayside.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2020, 01:07:37 AM »
So its getting very cold here & the family/social life is picking up again as we transition out of the covid crisis. All this means slow progress but a few things have got done.

Both bumpers have been cleaned up, had their brackets and bits blasted, painted & they have been refitted to the car.

The steering box was disassembled, cleaned, inspected, deemed to be in good condition & reassembled. There are a couple of points of interest here. Its an Aussie 16:1 box but most likely just an opposite hand US item so take these points with a grain of salt.

1) I was advised by Randy at Stangersite that my box should most likely have 54 balls in it. It indeed did have 54. But there was space for another two with room to spare,.... so in they went! I can't really see why you would want significant space in a worm drive system so time will tell. Will be interesting to see if the steering response tightens up.

2) Bottom seals were hard to come by in Australia and as I wasn't removing the needle bearings (all looked good) the seal would be hard to remove without damaging these. There is however a largeish, for want of a better word, counterbore in the bottom below the seal bore. It looked to be concentric to shaft and rough measurements couldn't prove otherwise so I thought I would see if a seal could be sourced with the right ID for the shaft that would fit in the counterbore. There was nothing imperial. But as luck would have it a metric 43x28x7mm fitted in just right. So the original seal stayed in place & this went in over the top. Could be a handy fix for sealing the box while still in the car.

Heres some pics.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2020, 09:05:33 PM »
Ok, small update. My ceramic coated headers were looking a little worse for wear after 20+ years. Not wanting to fork out for another coating I decided to paint them with the best high heat paint I have found (Rustoleom) just to freshen them up. Luckily they fitted in the BBQ so I could give them a few heat bakes :)

Also made some stands & got the engine onto the bench where I can fit the flexplate & then mate it all up to the trans.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2020, 07:57:20 AM »
Andy, I think you're going to love the smell those headers make after they've been in the Barbie.  Make sure you've had lunch first so you don't get too hungry!   Did you blast them first before the Rustoleum treatment? 

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »
Hi Bruce. No didn't blast them. The ceramic coating was still reasonable. Just rubbed them a bit with abrasive paper & wiped them with prepsol. Will see what happens.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2020, 08:30:46 PM »
Managed to get everything bolted together on the weekend. Little bit of work left to do cleaning up & painting ancillary brackets & stuff but my main attention now turns to the engine bay prep. It looks so cool sitting on the bench I almost want to leave it there!

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2020, 11:36:21 PM »
Very cool, making progress is always a good thing. Are the exhaust headers custom made? I can`t imagine that there are many companies building headers for FE powered RHD Fairlanes! I can imagine having both the starter and steering box on the same side eats up a lot of what little space a FE Fairlane (or Mustang) normally has. Good thing you don`t have clutch linkage to squeeze in there as well.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2020, 01:05:20 AM »
Hi Rory. Yes I made them 23 years ago. And you are right, there is not much room, hence the decision at the time to go tri-y design as it would be a nearly impossible to get 4 pipes out that side neatly. In Australia most of these era cars had hydraulic clutch sets ups which would make it easier....although I think the MC would hit the rocker cover....I do have a toploader lurking around.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2020, 08:08:54 PM »
Well at least 'mini-me' is finished!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:13:57 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2020, 06:05:49 PM »
A bit more progress over the weekend. Little fingers came in handy to start the engine mount bolts through the headers!

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2020, 06:10:43 PM »
That's a good day! Bet it feels nice to have the engine back in.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2020, 11:38:38 PM »
Yeh, great to have it in. Still lots of work to go though. With the chassis connectors the handbrake mechanism no longer fits, need to fit new fuel lines, trans lines and the hundred other little things. Learnt something about modifying the floor for GV units too.  Before you do verify the condition of your trans mount. Seems mine had collapsed. I ordered a new one for this build and its nearly 5/8 higher! So guess what hits the floor now! Grrrrrrrrr.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2020, 06:44:52 PM »
Well it's been on the road for a few weeks now. Did a cam break in, drove it about 20 miles & dropped the oil. It seemed to free rev quite snappy but I was a bit disappointed with how it went on the road and was starting to doubt my cam decision. I was aware though that the carb was straight off my other engine and would most likely be too fat everywhere. Having the EFI to put back on I was not going to mess with the carb. So I put another lot of 'break in' oil in it for now and and refitted the Holley Sniper. After it sitting around for 2-1/2 years I was worried about it drying out & whether it would still function properly. I can report that it is operating properly and it is chalk & cheese. Picked up power significantly everywhere & I think I will be happy with cam choice (although I miss the rumpty rump). I am yet to see how it really goes as I have break in springs (85lb on seat) still in. Need to swap springs, another oil change, do a bit more tuning on the Sniper & let it rip! Also contemplating moving the Pump/surge tank as it gets nasty hot under the hood. A few pics 'caus pics are good. :)

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
Really, really a beauty.
Congrats
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2020, 09:07:45 AM »
Car looks great.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 09:14:14 AM »
Great job Andy and a well deserved birthday for the Fairlane!  You have a beautiful home in SA too.  My '66 is also going to get some minor work in the next few months, it's got a water leak coming from somewhere that I need to investigate and also a hood repaint.   

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2020, 11:28:49 AM »
Looks great, Andy! A good fresh paint job makes a huge difference. Along with the engine, the car looks 'new' again.
Although I still can't figure out why you guys drive on the wrong side of the road.  :)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »
Beautiful...Two thumbs up!

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »
it's got a water leak coming from somewhere that I need to investigate

Don't forget about it! Read post #1 :)

Thanks all. I will add a little more once the valve springs are done & I can rev it again. Loving driving it again. It was really interesting the difference the Sniper made. Just goes to show how much difference there can be in carb set up between engines. For instance my old cam started and idled cold pretty well on the Sniper wizard settings but struggled to start hot. This engine no way. I have had to pull out most of the cold temperature enrichment & it starts pretty good hot.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:17:24 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2021, 05:55:59 PM »
Well, I have managed to change out the valve springs to 140 on the seat and swap over to my usual oil. I still have some jobs to do. As it has all new mounts engine/trans sits a little higher which means that under power the left exhaust is hitting the trans crossmember. Also the chassis mods mean the handbrake mechanism is compromised so I will make another trans crossmember soon to maximise clearance & fix the handbrake. I also need to get the surge tank/pump out of the engine compartment. On hot days the heat soak into the fuel is terrible & I think I can actually hear it boiling in the tank after a while! I am surprised at how well it goes though. The gear change to second is more violent than before & I have lost a strap from one of my leaf springs which probably does not help. It just goes to show that the previous cam was a bit too large for combination but I do miss the rumpty rump! The only thing different apart from the cam is a zero decking, a light blend of the inlet manifold at head area and removal of a step in the headers. I am guessing this made a significant difference. The headers used to impinge on the top of the port a little less than 1/8". This cant have been good. The Sniper tuning is going well and it runs really good. Just have to dial in cold starts a little better. When I have sorted out a couple of the issues mentioned I will really let it rip.

Pics of spring change & header blend.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:43:05 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2021, 06:18:33 PM »
Like the size of your diegrinder ;D

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2021, 12:58:34 AM »
That's a pretty slick idea of using old rockers to make a spring compressor. And you can do 2 at a time without having to put the entire shaft on.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2021, 05:41:33 PM »
The studs are long so can add some extra spacers & get a spring checker in there too if you need to. As per this old thread on it.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=424.0

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2021, 07:25:21 AM »
Are you going to relocate the surge tank/pump inside the boot? or maybe even under the car behind the diff? I'm still not sure if i should run one or not my new tank dose have good baffles in it and a nice hidden from sight pickup i will have to see how mine goes when my engine is finished. Car looks great too fresh paint dose wonders.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »
It is illegal to have any fuel lines etc inside the boot so it will have to go under behind the diff. Not a lot of room but I am going to have to make it fit. Also lying down is not the greatest as you loose volume. As I am feeding it with another pump I hope it will fill again quickly if the tank pick up becomes uncovered so it may not be an issue. Currently making a new trans crossmember then it will be onto the fuel system.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2021, 07:40:27 PM »
You could also mount that surge tank under the front left fender maybe even use all the same bolt holes.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2021, 08:11:28 PM »
You could also mount that surge tank under the front left fender maybe even use all the same bolt holes.

Yeh, considered that. Just not comfortable with it being that exposed.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2021, 05:47:59 PM »
Well I finally got some clean air for a couple of days to make a new trans cross member as the one that was in there was a modified C4 one and the exhaust tapped it on acceleration. I hugged the floor as much as possible and have gone from under an 1/8th to over an inch clearance on each side which will allow me to remake the exhaust with higher collectors (I like low cars). But that will come later. I also used both bolt holes at the chassis mount to make it more rigid. At least I can now give it the full beans without anything hitting....I just need it to stop raining. I also relocated the surge tank to the rear and ran two brand new fuel lines. Having it horizontal is yet to present an issue.....except when I forgot to re-hook up power to the lift pump....it would stall around right hand corners. But at least I know if I loose the lift pump it will still run enough to get me home.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2021, 03:04:19 AM »
What spot did you end up mounting the surge tank?

I had no luck getting my rocket finished for the weekend still waiting on diff parts :(

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2021, 05:07:28 AM »
I will take a pic for you in the next couple of days. Actually fitted pretty good.

R-WEST

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2021, 02:05:49 PM »
That is a gem, for sure.  They are such beautiful cars...  ;)

I had a '67 with 390, the guy sold it to me for $500 rather than try to replace the driver's side motor mount. A pint of blood and pound of flesh later I understood why.  :(

And, changing the spark plugs is an all-day job..  :'(

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2021, 06:38:47 PM »

Uh? C'mon plugs are easy! You should try a Cleveland in a RHD shock tower car.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2021, 06:34:31 PM »

Uh? C'mon plugs are easy! You should try a Cleveland in a RHD shock tower car.

Funny this in the last 2 weeks ive seen 2 xy falcons with 460's in them having the towers notched.  Like 66Fairlane said the Clevelands we got over here in the same engine bays are just as bad

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2021, 07:24:00 PM »
Honestly, changing plugs in mine is dead easy. Most of the time I do it with the valve covers off (just to run clearances at the same time) and that makes it a walk in the park. Header bolts on the other hand...............

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2021, 01:58:43 AM »
Here are a couple of pics of the surge tank mounted. Still have a bit of tidying up to do.....one day. There is a small carb type pump that pumps in one of the side fittings. The top fitting returns to the main tank and of course the EFI pump flows out the bottom. The EFI returns to the other 'side' fitting.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2021, 09:54:08 AM »
nice fix that should work well in that spot

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2022, 06:41:38 PM »
Just as a follow up to this and now driving the car for a couple of years I can say that the chassis modifications are one of the best things I have ever done. For a car that's not really set up to handle the difference is phenomenal. Its turn in is vastly improved and it just sits where you put it. It has made it a pleasure to drive. So to anyone considering some chassis stiffening on their unibody. Do it! You won't be sorry.

Parked at work for International Fairlanes at Work Day....yes, its a thing, I've decreed it.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2022, 07:49:14 PM »
Looks great wish i could take mine to work hard to fit a ladder on the roof

PM me i got some pic's for you on what i did to fit 10's on the rear i don't know how to send you pics in a pm.