Author Topic: Time for some upgrades....  (Read 18052 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Time for some upgrades....
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2019, 08:02:53 AM »
Curious why folks are concerned with boring the BBM to 4.310" since it is supposed to be safe to 4.440"and have .200-.250" walls?  Anyone actually bored one past 4.375" yet?  Joe-JDC

No problems going to 4.310-4.375".  I've done quite a few like that but would hesitate to go any further because I think you'd have head gasket constraints.

My response to Larry was due to that they were *honing* .060" out.   I don't know of anyone who would do it that way as a hone just follows the hole that's there, not to mention that it would take forever to do so.  A modern boring bar that bores on blueprinted centers would make very quick work of opening a block up .055" and then you hone the other .005". 

Not being critical of anyone, just couldn't wrap my mind around that thought, combined with Larry's comments about not wanting to spend time on a boring bar, but leaving a hone unattended.   I'm sure there's something lost between the translation of Larry's typing and my goofy brain.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:29:11 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
Quite a few shops around here use the hone to "bore" the block as long as the holes are in the correct spot to start with.

It isn't always a good solution, but when it's reasonable to do so, it saves a lot of hassle. Especially if you are using an old school boring bar.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »
Well, the block is washed up, cam bearings installed, ready for some assembly this week.  Cam is only thing left waiting on besides getting the heads put back together.  Time will tell this week how it goes.  I'm hoping for dyno time by Labor day weekend?  In hopes I can have it in the car before Sept 7th race.  It's doable, but going to creep up fast.  I'm having the shop do the assembly, I can't get enough time in to do it myself, unlike during winter time and having 6 months to poke at it every Saturday.

I forgot to sonic check the bores.  Might get time to check them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:06:59 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 12:09:15 PM »
Found out last night..........my cam showed up the other day.  Great?  Not so much.  Seems Comp ground my profile on a 460 core!!  Doh!!   They traced it down to some clown picked up the wrong core and ground it knowing it was the wrong one.  Ugh.   They said they would rectify the situation quickly.  Hope to still have a cam by the weekend?  Or Monday.  Will determine what I can do with it this weekend.   Time will tell.
Larry

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2019, 12:57:09 PM »
Dont want to sound dumb, how did you know. I would assume it has different journal sizes

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »
An FE cam has a tapered cone at the rear cam journal.  I'm familiar with that.  Apparently most other cams don't.  The shop opened the box and quickly realized the problem.

Once the shop called Comp they checked their records and it was noted what core was used(the wrong one), even though all the paperwork they had said "FE" on it.  Someone got lazy/stupid grabbed the wrong one and even marked as such on their paperwork.  Why?  Some things the world will never know.  At least they admitted it and jumped hoops to take care of it.
Larry

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
THAT guy is the reason for degreeing every cam.  :o

I'm loving the updates and can't wait to see/hear the results. Thank you for posting your progress.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »
Hope you get it soon, thanks for the explenation. What about the grooves on 2nd and 4th journal.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 02:27:14 PM »
Good luck with the new combo Larry.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
  You are right Larry , the 429-460 engines have all common size cam bearing journals.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2019, 06:06:02 PM »
Hope you get it soon, thanks for the explenation. What about the grooves on 2nd and 4th journal.

That too.
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2019, 08:21:04 AM »
More work done Saturday.
What the new ports look like with the 2.25 intake valves(old was 2.15):

Flow bench

With just hand work they went 280/220.  Now they are 320/240.  That is in line with what Edelbrock was doing with them back in 97 when I bought them.  They sent me flow sheets and info on what they had tried to get from them.  I'm not worried about it being a Max effort build.  Just adding some improvements as I can.

Crank installed:

Degreeing the cam:. Old cam was .63 lift, now .66.  I forgot to check new duration numbers but I know it was reduced a few numbers to keep the peak rpm down.

Check valve clearances.  Need to move pockets slightly, though they are deep enough.

Should be able to button it up next week.
Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2019, 09:26:21 AM »
Looks nice, should be breathing deep with the head work!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »
Nice head pics and even better flow numbers.  ;D
Bob Maag

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2019, 05:28:38 PM »
Weekend update.  It's complete, ready for Dyno this week.

Sorry cam card is sideways.  Didn't go through the hoops to rotate it.

Flow numbers:

Up 40 int/20 exh.

12.5/1 comp.  Going to try my 1850 Holleys.  I have my 780 single feed conversions to try also.

Any armchair Dyno numbers from anyone??
Larry