Author Topic: Time for some upgrades....  (Read 17965 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Time for some upgrades....
« on: July 16, 2019, 02:40:03 PM »

I got the old 428 torn down.   The 4.25 crank will be checked out and fitted to the new block.

I have 4.310 flat tops coming from JE Pistons.  Should put me about 12.7:1 compression.  (I want to run 110 oct fuel.  Don't want to deal with $12/gal fuel)

Reusing my rods.

The camshaft is yet to be determined.  I was going to run my old .63 lift flat tappet, but I bought some of those fancy Nascar diamond coated lifters, so I'm going to look at increasing the camshaft a bit.

The heads are going to Fox Lake for a CNC job.   They were hand worked back in 1996 when I bought them new.  They flowed 280I/220E, which was fine but going with another increase in CI, I think I could use some more wind.

The old motor (462) made 625 @ 6500 rpm with 600 ft/lb at 4000 rpm.  No real idea what it will make now.  Not really shooting for any specific number.  I am just letting it fall where it may.  I'm working on deals to make improvements.  So far, so good.

My original block could be fixed(just needs a sleeve), but I just said "what the hell" and decided to live it up a bit.  Hope to have it together by end of August(maybe earlier depending on piston arrival).
Larry

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Time for some upgrades....
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
That’s just a beautiful thing Larry.
Good luck on your build.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »
Looks like your going to have to raise that rear bumper to keep it from dragging

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »
Boy am I jealous Larry. I waited for 6 months when I ordered a Bear Block. Never did get it. I bought a used marine block from Carls.  I started getting it prepped last November and I still have to get Head gaskets. Its assembled on the lower end and I mocked the heads, Jays manifold adapter and my tunnel ram on the engine. Still have some misc. (new carb) stuff to do before putting it in the 63. The way the summers going it will be Oct be fore I can pull the old 427 out and install the new one.  Good Luck!

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 06:44:12 AM »
Nice! I'd venture approx. 675 hp, 620 on torque.

Btw, what does 110 octane cost in your area?
Bob Maag

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 08:07:13 AM »
If your lifters are DLC coated, they are for a steel core camshaft. 

With that being said, you will need quite a bit more duration since you're adding about 30 cubes to the mix.  The LSA will need to be changed as well.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »
Nice! I'd venture approx. 675 hp, 620 on torque.

Btw, what does 110 octane cost in your area?
IIRC, it was $7.75/gal last spring.  I fill my 55 gal drum up and I'm good for the summer.

Boy am I jealous Larry. I waited for 6 months when I ordered a Bear Block. Never did get it.

Got lucky I suppose.  Didn't really want to do all this, but figured WTH?  The block was available, so I took the plunge.

If your lifters are DLC coated, they are for a steel core camshaft. 

With that being said, you will need quite a bit more duration since you're adding about 30 cubes to the mix.  The LSA will need to be changed as well.

I ran the same small cam when I put the 4.25 crank in my 428.  I didn't really want to blow the budget(more) back then with heads and cam change.  It's ran well, but I know I left a ton of power on the table....just like this time around.  Whatever it makes, it makes.

With some deals worked out, the CNC work is possible.  The cam change will definitely help, but will be much cheaper this way then a roller set up.  That is something I can do later, maybe.  I'm not about making "the most power".  I'm a bracket racer that doesn't want to work on it every weekend.  Put a number on it and run.  I literally haven't had the valve covers off for 3 years.  That is the kind of maintenance I like.  Check the oil, put air in the tires, gas in the tank and GO!
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
I use a lot of flat tappets.  They are cost effective for a lot of engines.   

Your DLC coated lifters are only for alloy steel and tool steel cores though.  They won't work on a regular cast iron core flat tappet camshaft.   Steel flat tappet camshafts are $$$$$.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
  +1 on the steel cam core being needed. DLC coated lifters are not compatible with cast iron ( very porus) cam cores . Nascar teams had the steel cams "superfinished" for smoother surfaces.
   Just trying to save you an expensive repair Larry.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 12:36:15 PM by gt350hr »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm getting conflicting reports on the whole issue, though the more I read it appears to be a problem I don't want to deal with.  I want dead on reliable.  Not "well, it should be okay"!
Larry

KjcfeF100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 10:55:57 PM »
Hey Hey, I like the looks of that block!  I thought you might go that direction when I saw you had a block issue............ I think I'd want to just leave the block sitting around in my living room for several weeks so I could admire it before starting the new build.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 07:39:26 AM »
Well, just going to have to look at pictures of it.  It's at the shop, I was grinding on it Saturday, deburring and chamfering and stuff.  Baby steps.....
Larry

Towd56

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 06:02:41 AM »
Hi Larry,

Just curious what clutch set up you are running?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 07:52:39 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm getting conflicting reports on the whole issue, though the more I read it appears to be a problem I don't want to deal with.  I want dead on reliable.  Not "well, it should be okay"!

Tool steel on cast iron flat tappet is done all the time.  DLC coated stuff is the catch.  Doable, but would need an $800 cam.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »
Brent, that is what I'm reading right from the Trend website.  Uncoated is okay,  Coated not so much.

Dennis, I'm running a "soft lok" style clutch.  You can buy them from various people(like McCleod).  Mine was custom done locally from a RAM unit I ran for years.  They aren't really cheap to buy it outright the first time, but you can find rebuilt units.  It is still a 11" pressure ring, but a 10.5" disc. 

Contact Chris Hyatt:  440-477-4053.  He is local to me and does great work.  He might have connections to find a used unit.  His dad owned Hyatt Racing Services and took over the clutch work when his father, Tim, passed a few years back.
Larry