Author Topic: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake  (Read 96295 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
What I don't understand is why everyone wants to jump ship at this point.  Edelbrock heads are solid, Survival heads are solid, BBMs are solid, and all three can be ported to make excellent power.  They are readily available right now.  JMO, but until someone actually flows a pair on their own flow bench, and compares them to the others the same day, it is apples to oranges about flow numbers.  Joe-JDC

Joe, you make a great point (jumping ship). Yet you are quite correct in needing some flow numbers beforehand. Still, it's an exciting time for sure to see more and more quality FE parts coming to the fore. It's also amazing since the engine style itself has been out of production for so many decades now.
Bob Maag

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »
I don't see anywhere in the item description that the heads are CNC ready.  IF, and IF that is true at $899.00 per head, then that IS a REAL bargain price.  I would be willing to purchase a pair at that price to flow and compare against Keith Craft Stage II, BBM CNC, Survival, etc.  Just waiting to hear from someone who actually buys them and can verify they are already CNC'd at that price.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
From their SEMA 2017 PDF, https://static.trickflow.com/pdf/catalog_2017-SEMA.pdf.  Page 53 has some details on the heads and intake.  Attached is that page.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
The intake runners have been optimized to increase flow velocity and Trick Flow’s special CNC Street Ported treatment guarantees proper dimensional accuracy and balance between the runners.

The ones I looked at last weekend were CNC.
Larry

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »
Yep, I was wondering if "CNC profiled" just meant they used CNC to clean up the port entry and maybe the seat to bowl transition, but the pics showed a full CNC runner. 

The flow figures are perhaps ambitious, but if they're full CNC modeled off of a good port shape there is a chance they could be a step up. 

In my mind, it's really no different than when AFR started selling basically all of their lineup with full CNC ports, they were running right there with quality hand ported castings, and the small block head market changed ever since. 

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 12:17:42 PM »
I don't see anywhere in the item description that the heads are CNC ready.  IF, and IF that is true at $899.00 per head, then that IS a REAL bargain price.  I would be willing to purchase a pair at that price to flow and compare against Keith Craft Stage II, BBM CNC, Survival, etc.  Just waiting to hear from someone who actually buys them and can verify they are already CNC'd at that price.  Joe-JDC

That is the deal. Fully CNC ported for $888 each. Trick Flow did the same thing with their Mopar heads last year. Guys were used to paying $1500 for a set of Edelbrock heads then another $1000 to get them ported and Trick Flow showed up with CNC ported heads for $1500. Bam, everyone got to save a bunch of money. (well except for the guys who had been making money porting the Edelbrock heads that is)

In the Mopar world Edelbrock never responded. Edelbrock has the capability of making CNC ported heads but they didn't bother doing that. They reduced the price of their heads a little bit and then they came out with an E street head which was even cheaper but they never seemed to respond with a CNC ported head. I don't know what will happen in the FE world. Just have to wait and see.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2017, 12:25:13 PM »
TrickFlow does the same as a lot of the small block head manufacturers, they offer an as cast version, and full CNC for most of the lineup.  Right now the full CNC Twisted Wedge setup for a hydro roller is $825, so the $959 for full CNC FE head from the same place isn't out of question. 

It should be noted that even though the heads are CNC finished, the valve jobs can still be lacking.  My AFR205s weren't concentric to the guide, not as bad as Edelbrocks not sealing but they're definitely not "bolt on". 

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
Pretty impressive flow numbers if they turn out to flow as advertised.
A set of complete heads for under 2K would be a winner for sure.

garyv

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
Here's some preliminary data that was posted on the FE Facebook page. Don't think I've ever seen the guy on this forum. I'll wait to see if Joe/Blair/Barry/Brent/others post info that jives with this, but here's the first data I've personally seen. As everyone has stated.....doesn't look like they flow as advertised, but still well. From what was posted, these are out of the box heads, 2.19" intake, 1.65" exhaust, 70cc combustion chamber. Still like to see a second or third set of data that agrees.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:06:29 PM by mbrunson427 »
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 03:18:07 PM »
At 300/230, that isn't enough for me to warrant buying them to replace the heads I have that go 280/220.  They are a bit optimistic with their advertised 330/245.  I don't have enough cam/rpm to really worry about having "bigger" heads.  The package all has to work together an my present motor does pretty well for what it is.

I'm the redheaded step child racer.  I don't worry about how fast I go, I just want it to be reliable and very long lasting.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:20:04 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »
What's port volume?  I haven't even checked. 

The numbers are about what I figured they'd be.....about 20-30 under advertised. 

I'd rather give my money to Barry or Doug. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2017, 04:09:43 PM »
175cc

plovett

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
It looks like the flow numbers are on a 4.125" bore tube?  If that's the case, then the numbers look pretty good to me.  If the numbers were taken with a 4.25" or 4.35" tube, I'd feel a bit different.

I like the valve size choice.

175cc is not very big for an FE head.

I dunno.  Just thinking.

paulie

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2017, 05:50:03 PM »
Those numbers are all in line with BBM and SM heads..........as cast.........

Port volume is in the ballpark of other CNC ported heads.  Nothing special there.  If they were flowing 300 cfm with a 160-165cc port, then I might raise my eyebrows a little more. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

plovett

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
They look decent for $1800, compared to around $1400 for some Edelbrocks.   

I see your point, though.  There's a lot more potential in the heads you mentioned.

paulie