Author Topic: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake  (Read 95808 times)

scott foxwell

Re: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »
I may be wrong.....but I had read that Edelbrock's foundry was actually casting these TFS heads for them? In that case, the companies are all tied in together and the price points are all brewed up for a reason.
Just because Edelbrock is casting someone else's cylinder head (and I'm not saying they are) doesn't mean they have some or any influence or tie with TF. Edelbrock casts a lot of parts for a lot of companies. They cast AFR heads too. The heads are cast to the company's design specifications. It's just a foundry. Funny thing is, I've been told that even Edelbrock is having some of their intakes cast in China. Go figure.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:33:43 PM by scott foxwell »

scott foxwell

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2017, 10:36:45 PM »
The TFS are fully CNCd, while that doesn’t necessarily make them better than a raw cast head, it is somewhat time intensive and requires a pricy machine to perform so it’s not surprising they’re the more expensive option
A CNC program is better in that it helps ensure way more consistency from cylinder to cylinder than an as-cast head. A CNC port is usually just a copy of a hand made port and only as good as the prototype. Some are good, some are good, some are not so good.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2017, 08:15:24 AM »
I'll add a little I know. Laurel Aluminium​ Casting outside Pittsburgh does a lot of work for Summit/Trickflow, and they have cast Fe heads for them.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »
I just looked at the Laurel Aluminium web site and they show some cylinder heads one being an FE, plus an aluminium block that sure looks like an FE. Wonder who they are casting the block for ?

scott foxwell

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2017, 09:02:05 AM »
I just looked at the Laurel Aluminium web site and they show some cylinder heads one being an FE, plus an aluminium block that sure looks like an FE. Wonder who they are casting the block for ?
Only two alum blocks I know of are the Pond and Shelby. Personally I didn't think Edelbrock was casting them. Trick Flow's castings are very unique in the industry, at least the BBFord and BBChev that I've seen.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »
The BBF heads and BBC were being cast at Boose aluminium also in western PA. Boose and Laurel pour a lot of A356

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
Photos from the Laurel Aluminum website. FE head looks to possibly have a “SK” casting number, best I can zoom in.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
Looks like Robert Pond's stuff

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »
I think Barry nailed it, looks like Robert's stuff. The block definitely his, probably the head too. Laurel has a good reputation in the casting industry, so not surprising too see Pond and Trickflow use their services.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2017, 01:26:49 PM »
I may be wrong.....but I had read that Edelbrock's foundry was actually casting these TFS heads for them? In that case, the companies are all tied in together and the price points are all brewed up for a reason.
Just because Edelbrock is casting someone else's cylinder head (and I'm not saying they are) doesn't mean they have some or any influence or tie with TF. Edelbrock casts a lot of parts for a lot of companies. They cast AFR heads too. The heads are cast to the company's design specifications. It's just a foundry. Funny thing is, I've been told that even Edelbrock is having some of their intakes cast in China. Go figure.

Oh c'mon now. Why would a company agree to manufacture something that is going to inherently put their product line out of market. Of course they would make sure that their product line still had a place in the market.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »
I think Barry nailed it, looks like Robert's stuff. The block definitely his, probably the head too. Laurel has a good reputation in the casting industry, so not surprising too see Pond and Trickflow use their services.

Doesn't look like Roberts lifter bore configuration,  more like the old genesis or possibly side oiler garage.
Atleast on my pond block the lifter bores are cast in some what conventional fashion. It's odd, the lifter bore configuration looks like genesis yet the valley support looks like pond. IDK.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »
Oh c'mon now. Why would a company agree to manufacture something that is going to inherently put their product line out of market. Of course they would make sure that their product line still had a place in the market.

If they are only making runs of 20-40 parts for someone it surely is no threat to Edelbrock's marketplace.  That is peanuts to the quantity they deal with.

You can buy Edelbrocks all day, every day, in stock.  These specialty places, if they are out of stock you have to wait months for the "next order".
Larry

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »
Got confirmation that my 703 heads are on the way. These are the ones with the Ti retainers. Not sure which valve spring they have since the catalog information hasn't been updated yet but once I have the heads in my hands I'll know for sure. I'm going to be running a small solid roller (Comp 292R grind) so I'll need a decent spring but nothing killer.

Comp doesn't show a 292R in the catalog for the FE, just the 288 and 308 but they were happy enough to grind one for me. Engine is going in a '63 1/2 Galaxie so didn't want to go nutso on the cam.

cwhitney

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2017, 07:17:14 PM »
Laurel Aluminium in Pittsburg does stuff for Robert Pond. I've been to that foundry with Pond. Theres also another foundry in Youngstown Ohio that does stuff for Pond. Buddy Bar also does stuff for Pond

plovett

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »
Got confirmation that my 703 heads are on the way. These are the ones with the Ti retainers. Not sure which valve spring they have since the catalog information hasn't been updated yet but once I have the heads in my hands I'll know for sure. I'm going to be running a small solid roller (Comp 292R grind) so I'll need a decent spring but nothing killer.

Comp doesn't show a 292R in the catalog for the FE, just the 288 and 308 but they were happy enough to grind one for me. Engine is going in a '63 1/2 Galaxie so didn't want to go nutso on the cam.

What are the spec's on the 292R if you don't mind saying?  When you click on the 288R cam on the Compcams website this link comes up. 

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=951&sb=2

It says 292/248 duration.  I emailed Compcams asking about it and they said it used lobe #1476 which is 288 @0.015" and 244 @0.050".

So something is not matching up with their numbers.  I was wondering if you got a clear answer.

paulie