Author Topic: Billet Sheet Metal Style Intake Manifold for the FE Intake Adapter  (Read 31594 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Billet Sheet Metal Style Intake Manifold for the FE Intake Adapter
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »
Jay, have you ever looked at pictures of 'The High and Mighty'; one of the very first Ramcharger cars; run at the '59 Nationals at Detroit Dragway.. The upper plenum stood up on legs through the hood with the runners made from radiator hoses---clamped top and bottom. Would make it very easy to change runner length!  ;)

KS

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
I have seen that one, Ken.  I also liked the trumpet exhausts on that car.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 09:13:59 PM »
Jay, have you ever looked at pictures of 'The High and Mighty'; one of the very first Ramcharger cars; run at the '59 Nationals at Detroit Dragway.. The upper plenum stood up on legs through the hood with the runners made from radiator hoses---clamped top and bottom. Would make it very easy to change runner length!  ;)

KS

I remember that car. Never even thought about the "tuneable" length...lol  I wonder if ribbed flexible hose would work better? Maybe Jay should look into doing his this way for even more...*cough*, flexibility ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 07:42:56 AM »
Maybe ABS tubing today? Cheap, could use O-rings machined into the tubes, insides slicker than any unpolished metal. Would be a good idea for dyno testing some specifics for a particular engine, the results transferred to something more durable. 
Bob Maag

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 09:22:57 AM »
Would static electricity be a problem?

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »
At Ford we did dyno studies with adjustable tubular runners.  The mathematical formulas only get you so far at the time, so we tweaked the lengths to fix dips in the torque curve.  Once you had the right combination of runner lengths, the twisting and turning began to get the thing to package!

Nowadays the compressible flow software is so good that they're probably doing it all in CAD.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

falcon428

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
Here's the manifold model I just finished tonight for tuning to the fourth harmonic.  Tuning to the fourth harmonic knocks about 2" off the length of the runners.  This sets the plenum down quite a bit, and so now there's a bulge on the inside to accomodate the distributor.

Overall height of the manifold is reduced by about 2-1/4".  I haven't done the EFI version of the runners yet, but just for fun I plopped the front inlet Holley plenum top into place anyway.  This looks like it just might fit under the hood of a Mustang.  That would be cool...

Now we are talking. That would look good with my F2 pushing air thru it. :). I want it to fit under the stock hood of my Falcon.
'65 Mercury Comet w/ Pond Alum. 427, C6
'61 Ford Starliner w/ 352, C6
'68 Falcon w/ ProCharged FE, Lenco 5sp
'67 Country Sedan SW
'62 Falcon awaiting turbocoupe motor & tranny
'40 Ford Tudor Sedan all original

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 03:56:46 PM »
that is some really cool stuff . I am always looking to learn , very good info . thanks 

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
jay,
any progress on the intakes since making your 3D modles ? Are they designed to work with the 13002 adapter with the straight ports or are you doing another adapter all together ? i did read where you were thinking of also doing some that would fit the 13001 adapters that many like myself already have. you may have addressed these things already and i prob missed it. thanks for any updates.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

newfalconowner

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
kinda like the 351C weiand tunnel ram I modified for multiport injection for the adapter

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »
jay,
any progress on the intakes since making your 3D modles ? Are they designed to work with the 13002 adapter with the straight ports or are you doing another adapter all together ? i did read where you were thinking of also doing some that would fit the 13001 adapters that many like myself already have. you may have addressed these things already and i prob missed it. thanks for any updates.

Keith, I'll be testing the 3D printed version that fits the #13001 intake adapter sometime in the next week or so, on my current dyno mule.  I am also currently machining the runners for the tunnel port version that I had at the FE Reunion; if they look OK when finished I will then get the plenum on that one machined.  I actually have two customers for the tunnel port versions so I am focusing on that version first.  After that I will machine the one that fits the #13001.  I haven't gotten any further than design on the one that fits the #13002 adapter.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2017, 04:47:12 AM »
Jay, I`m interested to see how your TP runners come out. What length did the tubes end up? Not much progress on my build right now, but I have all the stuff to assemble the short block, just not the time.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
I would buy one in a heartbeat if that helps !

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
Some of you may recall the billet intake based on this design that I showed at the PRI show, and pictured in that thread.  I've been talking to Kurt Neighbor about one of these for a while, for use on the high riser in his Super Stock Thunderbolt.  It took me a while but I finally got a design done and have machined Kurt's intake.

Kurt had provided me with a Hogan sheet metal intake and I took dimensions off that manifold and incorporated them into my design.  Of course this billet intake matches up with one of my intake adapters that I also did for Kurt; in fact he is using two different intake adapters to match up to two slightly different port configurations on a couple sets of his heads, and this billet intake will bolt onto either one.  The advantage of the billet intake over the sheet metal intake is twofold.  First, since the billet intake is machined, all the runners will be exactly identical, for consistency of the intake charge.  Second, according to Kurt one of the issues with the sheet metal intakes at high RPM is that they tend to vibrate, and that vibration will mess up the signal from the valve closing that you are trying to tune for.  This is related to the sonic tuning effect, where you optimize runner length to help fill the cylinders at a certain engine speed.  The downside is weight; the billet intake is heavier than the sheet metal intake.  Some pictures of the billet intake are below:

Also I'm currently machining one of my standard billet intakes for the #13001 intake adapter for another customer, and he was interested in a billet top, rather than the Holley LS tops that fit my adapter.  I have the CAD model and the machining programs done for this one now, and am waiting for the billet aluminum to arrive next week before I start to cut the metal.  Here are a few pictures of the billet top model.  It would be good to have a spacer between the top of the intake and the billet top, to add some plenum volume, but if there's no room it could just bolt onto the top of the billet intake.

Regarding the spacer, making it out of a non-conductive material like Delrin is a good approach, but when I checked pricing I was surprised to see that on a cubic inch basis, Delrin is significantly more expensive than billet aluminum!  I did make a 1" thick Delrin spacer for one of my SOHC intakes quite a while back, but either had forgotten how expensive it was, or the price has gone up quite a bit.  In any case, some time soon I will be creating the fixture for machining a spacer and then will be able to provide a complete billet intake, in case the Holley LS top is not desirable. 

I'm very curious to see what kind of results Kurt gets with his intake; hopefully he will go faster...
Jay Brown

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »
 8) 8) 8) i have a soft spot for machined metal
Beautyful work Jay

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it