Author Topic: Billet Sheet Metal Style Intake Manifold for the FE Intake Adapter  (Read 31609 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Since the previous post on this topic ( http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=2402.0  ), I've been doing a lot of research on sheet metal style intakes.  Based on the poll in the previous thread, it appeared that this type of intake was of the highest interest, and without a good alternative available for the FE (except for my intake adapter + the 351C tunnel ram), I thought it would be best to pursue this manifold option first.

My original plan had been to do a design that could be cast in aluminum to minimize cost for the manifold.  However, a couple things changed my mind about that.  First, after digging pretty deep into sheet metal intake design, it became clear that one design would definitely not fit all.  I suppose that's why the sheet metal intake companies like Hogan are in business; depending on your RPM range and the duration of your camshaft, the ideal intake will vary quite a bit in runner length, plenum volume, runner taper, etc.  Tooling up a casting was going to be expensive, and I couldn't really afford to tool up several of them to meet a variety of different requirements.  Second, working with the foundries has been very frustrating in terms of delivery time.  I'm a pretty small fish to these companys, not part of the customer base that keeps them in business, and I've had to tolerate some significant delays in delivery of my parts, because I don't get a lot of priority. This has led to delays in making my intake adapters available, which is frustrating for me, and also for the people on the list to receive them.

So, I got to thinking - What if I just machined the manifold from billet?  It would be more expensive that way, but there would be no big tooling costs to bear, and no minimum production run required to justify the tooling expense.  Plus I could do several variations of the manifold by just changing the design and machining different parts out of billet.  And I wouldn't be subject to any foundry delays, because billet aluminum in the sizes I was looking at is readily available locally.

One thing that helped move me along in this direction was availability of some parts from Holley that could be adapted to this project.  Holley makes an intake manifold for the LS engine with several different upper plenum types available.  The manifold base contains the lower part of the plenum, and they offer several upper plenums, to mount carbs or throttle bodies depending on the application.  Here are some pictures of what Holley makes available.  First, a picture of the manifold base:

Next, here are three of the upper plenums that are available.  There is also a fourth upper plenum available that is blank, and can be machined for a custom application:

Finally, they make this spacer available, allowing you to increase plenum volume by adding spacers between the manifold base and the upper plenums:

The upper plenums and spacers seal to the manifold base with a big O-ring, kind of like I seal the center plate of my intake adapter to the adapter itself.  So, you can bolt together whatever plenum you want, and change plenum volume for your application by adding spacers.

I got going in January working with Solidworks, and after going through a book full of tutorials I started to design the parts for this project.  I've completed a carbureted and fuel injected version of the first manifold so far.  The runner length is designed to tune at 6800 RPM using the third harmonic, with a power band from 6400 to 7300.  Here's a couple screen captures of the manifold from the Solidworks design file:

All 8 runners are machined individually using this approach.  There are four distinct runners, duplicated on  both sides of the manifold.  They bolt to the lower plenum, using O-rings for sealing.  The lower plenum is designed to accept the upper plenums available from Holley.  The runners also have O-ring grooves in the bottom, to seal to the intake adapter:

Notice that on the inboard sides and tops of the runners, there is a lot of room between the O-ring groove and the machined port.  This is to allow for some porting if desired.  Usually when you increase the size of the FE port, you make it wider on the inboard side to straighten it, and raise it at the top for a better shot at the valve.  The runners are designed to allow porting in this direction, and there is extra meat in the runners all the way to the top for this.

The screen shot below shows the manifold from the front.  You can see that the runners come out of the intake adapter at a bit of an angle. 

The reason for this is that if they came straight out, the runner length would be shorter, and the RPM that this manifold would tune at would go up quite a bit.  To make this a smooth intake tract, I have designed the ports in the intake adapter to swoop upward a little bit, allowing a smooth transition to the stock FE port.

Here's the same manifold, but with runners that include a boss for a fuel injector:

One downside to the fuel injector version of this design is that you have to start with a larger chunk of billet aluminum to machine it.  I can get the standard runners fit into a 3" X 4" cross section, but after adding the fuel injector boss I have to go to a 4" X 4" billet, which is quite a bit more expensive.  So, the EFI versions will be more expensive than the carbureted version of this intake manifold.

Of course I didn't start from scratch with this design, I had to make it fit on the intake adapter first.  When I first got going on the intake adapter project, I had no experience with Solidworks, so I had another guy do the design for me.  It took forever and cost a bunch, and then the pattern shop had to redo it before it was acceptable for generating the tooling, but finally I got a model that worked.  I took this model, removed the FE to 351C ports, and put in some different porting to fit this manifold, then designed the runners and lower plenum from there.  After I got done with that I drew up one version of the Holley plenum top, plus an MSD distributor and a couple of Holley 4150 carbs.  The carbs are not very accurate, except for placement of the throttle bores and mounting holes, but I wanted to get an idea of what the whole induction system would look like.  Here's a few screen shots:

In the last shot, you can see the vertical bolt holes in the front of the runners.  There is a matching hole on the opposite side of each runner, so that two bolts hold each runner in position on the intake adapter.  The other four holes in the bottom of each runner are only used to hold the runner during the machining operations. I wanted to use a vertical bolt to hold the manifold to the intake adapter, because the O-rings will stand a little proud of the mating surface, and trying to put a bolt in at an angle might be problematic.  Using the vertical bolts will allow the manifold to pull straight down onto the intake adapter, and compress the O-rings evenly.

Next I decided to do an EFI version, so I did models of the fuel rails, fuel injectors, and fuel rail brackets.  I put the front facing upper plenum on this one; here's a screen shot:

I don't think this one will fit under the hood, but I'm planning another version that uses shorter runners (and no upward curve in the intake adapter) to tune to the fourth harmonic at 6800 RPM, rather than the third harmonic.  As I understand it, the fourth harmonic will not yield the same high torque as the third harmonic does, but the tuning range is a little wider, maybe 1400 RPM instead of around 1000 RPM.  The objective here would be to get the overall height low enough so that it would fit under a stock hood. 

I'm also looking at doing a version with shorter runners that tunes at the third harmonic, around 8000 RPM.  Maybe the Super Stock guys would like that one.

Finally, I'm also thinking of a version that would bolt onto the existing 13001 intake adapters, with the 351C 4V ports.  The adapter would have to be drilled and tapped for the vertical mounting holes to mount the intake manifold, and this version would not get rid of the angle in the #1, #4, #5, and #8 ports that you get from adapting the FE to a Cleveland intake, but I think it would work as well or better than the Weiand tunnel ram.  And it would look cooler  ;D

When designing these parts I had to figure out how I was going to fixture them and machine them, and without going into any detail, I think I have that figured out.  I should be able to machine all four runners for one side at the same time, using two different setups on my fourth axis CNC machine table.  Keeping the number of setups down lowers the time I have to spend working on the parts, and so reduces the costs.

Speaking of costs, the billet aluminum required for the carbureted version of the intake is around $480.  Add in the cost of the O-rings and the hardware and you are pretty close to $500.  I think I can machine them for another $500, so selling price would be about $1000.  But you have to consider that you will need an intake adapter ($549), plus an upper plenum ($160), and Holley doesn't give the plenum spacers away either ($110).  For the EFI version you would have more material cost, adding probably $125 to the price.  Plus I would probably offer machined fuel rails and fuel rail brackets for another couple hundred bucks, to make the whole package easier to install.

So, my question, and the reason for the post, is this:  Is this too expensive to be attractive?  It would certainly be a lot cheaper than a Hogan manifold, but its still not cheap.  I appreciate any responses to this post, especially if you might be interested in one of these setups, if/when I make them available.  Thanks, Jay
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:41:43 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

fastback 427

• View Profile
Re: Billet Sheet Metal Style Intake Manifold for the FE Intake Adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
First, very very cool. So about 2 grand or so? How would these parts work with supercharging?  For instance blow thru setups seem to be limited to about a thousand HP, the ez efi kits aren't recommended for supercharging. Can someone build their own f.I.system like the L s  flaps have or the 5.0 crowd , and make 1500hp plus with a procharger or turbos?
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:24:39 PM »
That looks friggin super kool Jay!
That's a lot of whittling for 500 bucks. I may just have to get in line on that deal. ;D

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:29:59 PM »
For a high horsepower turbo or supercharged engine, manifolds like this work fine.  It would be no problem to do the EFI system, you've just got to use one of the more tunable ones, rather than the "tunes itself" variety.  I have a couple of T-80 turbos that I was going to use on one of my SOHC engines, figured on 1800 HP.  I was going to build a sheet metal intake for the SOHC like the ones shown in my post, and then use a Megasquirt MS3X or MS-Pro EFI system to run it.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mike7570

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:58:27 PM »
How far off is the runner spacing for the Holley LS stuff from your intake adapter.  Could another adapter between them work?
Could be a lot less expensive but I don't know any of the dimensions
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:02:43 PM by mike7570 »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:53 PM »
The side to side stagger on the LS manifolds won't work.  The left bank of the engine is farther forward than the right bank, opposite to the FE.
Jay Brown

482supersnake

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »
Looks cool. After that you can start on one like this. ;D ;D ;D

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?7504-351w-intake-manifold-height

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:34:48 PM »
That's cool, alright.  Unfortunately I've only got a 4 axis CNC machine, and at first glance it looks like a manifold like the one in your pictures would require a five axis CNC to machine. 
Jay Brown

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 09:15:13 PM »
Jay, I'd definitely be in for a manifold. That is exactly like what I plan to run on my race engine with the HR intake adapter. You could put my name down now for one. I could also use it on my back up engine, for which I have a MR intake adapter.

You mentioned that you would be able to somewhat tune the runner length to suit hp rpm range, I'm looking at making peak power at in the 7000-7500rpm range out of a 490 cube engine. I guess that would entail a slightly shorter runner length?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »
Yes, it would make for a shorter runner.  Also with the high riser ports being higher on the face of the cylinder head, it ought to require less of a tilt up for the runner, maybe no tilt at all.  Should be a nice package.  Thanks for the positive feedback Todd, I'll keep you in mind on this.  If I can get interest from a dozen or so folks I'll get going on these as soon as I'm caught up on the intake adapters - Jay
Jay Brown

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:00:06 AM »
My FE experience isn't quite up to that speed yet but I could set it on my coffee table and stare at it for a while. ;)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »
The side to side stagger on the LS manifolds won't work.  The left bank of the engine is farther forward than the right bank, opposite to the FE.

Since the upper plenum isn't one piece with the lower, can the manifold be flipped around to counter the stagger, then just flip the upper to point in the right direction? It would require the upper plenums bolt pattern to be symmetrical, and I don't know if that's the case. Just thinking out loud.

As for the design itself, the redesigned adapter ports would require one of your intakes, severely limiting the choices. That's a big drawback to the advantage of the adapter in the first place, so interest would be limited to specific combos. I don't think I would want to go that route when I could custom make an upper to fit the standard lower, and keep many more options open as to the use of the adapter. Coming up with a minimum 100 people might be tough because of that limiting of choices. I'm not putting down the design, I think it's great, that's just part of the reality of it. For guys wanting to maximize power potential in race cars, it may be a more serious consideration. But I wasn't aware that any Stock or Super Stock racers could use an intake other than a factory type design, but I'm no expert on their rules either.

Would the close proximity of the plenums ports cause issues with distribution? It seems to me that most high end manifolds have them separated more, even if they have to use curved runners to achieve that. Curved runners was my first thought, but that would probably require going to the larger billet, thereby increasing cost.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »

Since the upper plenum isn't one piece with the lower, can the manifold be flipped around to counter the stagger, then just flip the upper to point in the right direction? It would require the upper plenums bolt pattern to be symmetrical, and I don't know if that's the case. Just thinking out loud.

As for the design itself, the redesigned adapter ports would require one of your intakes, severely limiting the choices. That's a big drawback to the advantage of the adapter in the first place, so interest would be limited to specific combos. I don't think I would want to go that route when I could custom make an upper to fit the standard lower, and keep many more options open as to the use of the adapter. Coming up with a minimum 100 people might be tough because of that limiting of choices. I'm not putting down the design, I think it's great, that's just part of the reality of it. For guys wanting to maximize power potential in race cars, it may be a more serious consideration. But I wasn't aware that any Stock or Super Stock racers could use an intake other than a factory type design, but I'm no expert on their rules either.

Would the close proximity of the plenums ports cause issues with distribution? It seems to me that most high end manifolds have them separated more, even if they have to use curved runners to achieve that. Curved runners was my first thought, but that would probably require going to the larger billet, thereby increasing cost.

Doug, if you flip the LS manifold around, you'll have the same problem with stagger.

On the adapter, do you mean the custom ports required for this manifold would limit the options for the intake adapter itself, to just this manifold?  I would agree with that, but I also plan to do one of these designs to fit the standard 351C 4V ports that are in the standard #13001 adapter.  The reason someone might want to go with the dedicated version is that it would eliminate the angle in the #1, #4, #5, and #8 ports found in the #13001 adapter.  Also, just to be clear, I don't need to make some large minimum number of these manifolds to cover tooling costs.  There aren't any tooling costs for this design; it uses the standard intake adapter casting that I've already tooled; I just have to machine a different port program into it.  And since there are no cast components of the intake manifold itself, the costs are in the billet aluminum that is required.  I will cover that with the price of each manifold.  I do have to write the CNC programs to machine these, but I'm figuring if I could sell 10 of them I could justify doing that.

I think the ports in the plenum are kind of a tradeoff.  You would like the runners to provide as straight a shot to the port as possible, but you would also like to have them open directly under the carb butterflies.  The primary issue for this design, though, was clearance to the distributor.  Because of that issue, the #5 runner has to bend towards the back of the engine.  I could have made that the only runner that does that, but I thought it would be better from a symmetry standpoint to make all four end runners symmetrical.  In addition, if I made all the runners on the right bank straight, the lower plenum would be too long to fit the Holley LS upper plenums.  The options were really to bend #4 and #5, and make all the rest straight, or to bend the outboard runners, and make the inboard runners straight.  So I made the #2, #3, #6, and #7 runners straight, while the remaining four runners are all angled like #5.  They do line up better with the carb butterflies this way. 

I actually started off with a design where #1 was bent towards the back of the engine, and #2 was bent towards the front.  This actually makes the whole #2 runner, from valve to the plenum opening, as straight as possible, because all the FE intake ports bend towards the center of the engine.  Here's a picture:

It also gets the plenum openings almost directly under the carb butterflies, if you could cant the carb just a little bit.  I figured that I would offer one of the blank upper plenums that Holley has available, machined with angled mounting for the carbs, but it turned out that they were not wide enough to allow the carb bolt holes to fit if the carb was angled.  You'll also notice in the picture above that I was using a mocked up base for this design; when I tried to transfer it to the actual casting design, I found that I didn't have enough room to put the required port for #2 in the intake adapter.  So, I ended up going with straight runners in the middle four spots.

There's a lot more to think about on this stuff than you can see on first glance...
Jay Brown

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 01:32:23 PM »
Doug, if you flip the LS manifold around, you'll have the same problem with stagger.

There's a lot more to think about on this stuff than you can see on first glance...

Yep, I didn't think that through enough about stagger.

As usual, you've thought this through pretty well and answered my questions thoroughly. Like you said, there's a reason Hogans is in business...and expensive. If you made this to work with a standard adapter, it would be something I'd seriously consider. My only reservation is I'm not a huge fan of lots of billet. That's just a personal preference of mine because I like the old school look. But with a little work and some bead or media blasting, that could take on a cast look. Kinda stupid, I know, but I'd like to keep the '55 looking a bit period. At least as much as possible. I'm going to think this through a bit more before I'd commit to a definite, but for now it looks like a pretty darned impressive idea. Nice job.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »
When do you find the time to come up with these ideas?  LOL.  I have read through this a couple of times, and it seems like something that would definitely sell to the car show folks, and if the weight could be kept down, it might work well for drag racing.  Thickness of parts after CNC will have a huge impact on weight of the final product, and that would be my biggest issue for racing.  Tenatively, I would be interested in something that would fit existing spacers.  I am not a fan of the drawing where the ports are siamesed in the plenum.  That invites reversion/turbulence issues.  I have also seen Hogan sheetmetal intakes where the runners were at the edge of the "V" that did not flow well, and actually lost horsepower on the dyno over a good cast intake.  I know it is a huge endeavor, but a sample and dyno test would remove any doubt in the minds of those who were interested, but unsure.  JMO, but very cool ideas.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 02:05:02 PM »
A dyno test is definitely in the works for some of these manifolds.  I'm not interested in just putting out "eyewash" LOL! 
Jay Brown

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 03:27:38 PM »
All righty then!  We need the heat down this way!   ;D
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »
Looks like your getting pretty good with Solid-works Jay! Wow! Good job! Looks like a lot of work. I like how you have the different colors to separate the pieces from each other, really cool drawings.

I was curious to the height of the 2x4 carb pad once assembled, like from the bottom of the base adapter just above the "china wall", to the carb flange. And also how that would compare for instance, to the 351C tunnel ram height on the same adapter. It looks pretty tall, but I understand your design and reasoning for the runner length, and that makes sense to me.

Do you have any idea on height, for the other designs you are considering, like you mentioned the 4th harmonic runner length (much shorter I believe) and also the slightly shorter runner length for 8000 RPM tuning.

I think I would like a little more space/width in the center of the plenum lengthwise, between the bottom of the port openings also, perhaps you can do that with the shorter runner versions hopefully. As you know, I have been playing around with a couple cast tunnel rams on your adapter for someone else, and I see compromises with those in several places, and they don't fit either...LOL. Nothing a hot glue gun can't fix... but what a pain, plus time and money. I can see it would be hard to design the "perfect" tunnel ram, let along one that would cover several different "combos"... as they are all different, and people are all after different things for different reasons.

I have to admit I voted for the 2x4 sheetmetal style tunnel ram in your poll, even though I wanted a single 4 Dominator spider style race intake, I just figured that wouldn't get many votes and voted for the next best thing (in my mind anyway). I probably wouldn't buy one, but it looks like one heck of a good deal, if I were in the market, or it was a 4V spider, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Keep up the good work, nice write up and info, pictures, etc. Your an animal! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 12:08:47 AM »
From the bottom of the intake adapter to the carb mounting surface, including the height of the upper plenum, the distance is 13.4".  The Weiand tunnel ram measures shorter than this, at around 11.5".  The shorter ones, for the higher RPM ranges, would probably be about 2.5" shorter.  I'm working on one of those now; I'll post some screen shots when I've finished it.
Jay Brown

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 01:51:20 AM »
Thanks for the measurements Jay.

Also, just so there is no confusion... when I said...       "I see compromises with those in several places, and they don't fit either...LOL."     :o     I want to make it clear I was talking about the cast tunnel rams I was trying to make work, and not your adapter itself, of course. Your adapter was machined exactly as I requested and I appreciate all the extra effort and time that you had in it, in order to do that, it is 100%.    8)    Thanks again for putting up with me. There are a few more orders to come like that, I am thinking.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
Jay - Does the runner length include the length of the ports in the adapter? - Garrett

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »
Yes, the whole intake tract is included, from valve to the opening in the plenum.
Jay Brown

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »
That would work really well on my 352.....
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »
Here's the manifold model I just finished tonight for tuning to the fourth harmonic.  Tuning to the fourth harmonic knocks about 2" off the length of the runners.  This sets the plenum down quite a bit, and so now there's a bulge on the inside to accomodate the distributor.

Overall height of the manifold is reduced by about 2-1/4".  I haven't done the EFI version of the runners yet, but just for fun I plopped the front inlet Holley plenum top into place anyway.  This looks like it just might fit under the hood of a Mustang.  That would be cool...

Jay Brown

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »
Knowing little about harmonics and how it relates to rpm efficiency, at what rpm level is the 4th harmonic optimized for? That does look pretty darned cool and would be an awesome set-up for forced induction and EFI, I'd think! Put some bungs on the adapter, fabricate a rail and mounts and it would be a pretty wicked looking and performing combo. But that CAD drawing also has me thinking about a custom top to be used with a 2x4 setup.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »
That's really beautiful work Jay.
Would you please explain a little about the fourth harmonic.
I get how it relates to music and sound but how does it relate to tuning?
BTW I'm with Doug on the 2x4.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »
I'll tell you guys what I've discerned on this subject, but don't take it as gospel, because I'm still learning, and I might be wrong about some of this.  But, from what I've read on the subject:

The harmonic relates to how many times the pressure tuning wave travels back and forth along the intake tract.  The theory goes something like this:  the air/fuel mix has mass, and therefore momentum as it moves down the intake tract towards the valve.  At the end of the intake stroke, as the valve is closing and the piston is starting to come up the bore, the momentum of the air/fuel column is still trying to fill the cylinder.  When the valve slams shut, the air/fuel mix is still coming and builds up pressure against the valve.  Since the valve is shut, this pressure wave can't go anywhere and so is reflected back up the intake tract until it reaches the plenum, then it reflects there and goes back down to the valve.  The pressure wave travels at the speed of sound in the intake tract, which is generally considered to be somewhere around 1250 feet per second, if I recall correctly. 

Once the pressure wave makes it back to the valve it has completed the first harmonic.  The same process repeats itself again and again.  By the time it arrives back at the valve the third time (third harmonic), the intake valve is open again and the pressure wave helps to ram the air/fuel mixture into the cylinder.  So, the pressure wave travels at a specific speed, and at a given RPM if you change the length of the intake tract, you change the time when the third harmonic pressure wave arrives back at the open intake valve.

There is an ideal time for this pressure wave to arrive, and it seems to be the subject of some disagreement, at least among the papers and books I read on the subject.  There are several different formulas out there for calculating the ideal length of the intake tract, but the inputs for all of them are the engine speed in RPM, and which harmonic you are aiming for.  Some of the better ones also include intake duration as an input, in an attempt to take into account when the intake valve closes (which starts the whole harmonic process), and the rest seem to just use some typical value. 

Tuning for the third harmonic is supposed to give the best results, with maximum torque available over an RPM range of 1000 or so.  Sheet metal intakes are typically designed to tune to the third harmonic.  Single plane intakes typically average tuning at the fourth harmonic; I say average because some of the runners are longer than others, so they may tune at different engine speeds.  The fourth harmonic is not as good for torque as the third, but from what I've read the torque range is a little broader, maybe 1400 RPM or so.  The old early 1960s Chrysler crossrams tuned at the second harmonic, which gives even more torque than the third, but is much more difficult to package.

The fourth harmonic intake design in my post above is designed to tune at the same RPM as the original third harmonic design.  But it will also tune at the third harmonic, just at a higher engine speed.  So, this manifold will tune at the fourth harmonic around 7000 RPM, and at the third harmonic at around 8900 RPM.  In between those RPM levels, say at 8000 RPM, the pressure wave will have a detrimental effect on power production.  So, if you time the pressure wave wrong, you will lose horsepower, not gain it.  This is why all the hardcore racers pay attention to runner length, and try to optimize it for whatever RPM range they are running at the track.

I hope that explanation helps.  To me, a little empirical testing on the dyno, once I have a couple of these things put together, will go a long way towards really dialing in the runner lengths.  Formulas are fine, but some real horsepower numbers will take a lot of the unknowns out of this process.
Jay Brown

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 11:15:05 PM »
Interesting stuff, we are all learning all the time.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 12:31:24 AM »
I had to go back to the beginning and forgot that you had already considered the bung/injector route for the taller version. Not to mention the available 2x4 upper plenum. ::)

At this point, with the shorter version being useable on the standard adapter, and since I'm planning on my build having a 7000+ rpm limit, I would be very interested in this version. I like the looks of the standard tunnel ram better than that upper plenum, but I think the port angles would work better than using the Cleveland intake. And since performance would be my first priority, with looks behind that, I'd rather go with this intake rather than the Cleveland. You could count me in on one of the shorter versions.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
Thanks Jay
I did a little Googling and played with runner lengths in a calculator to see the values change.
Pretty interesting stuff.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »
Jay, have you ever looked at pictures of 'The High and Mighty'; one of the very first Ramcharger cars; run at the '59 Nationals at Detroit Dragway.. The upper plenum stood up on legs through the hood with the runners made from radiator hoses---clamped top and bottom. Would make it very easy to change runner length!  ;)

KS

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
I have seen that one, Ken.  I also liked the trumpet exhausts on that car.
Jay Brown

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 09:13:59 PM »
Jay, have you ever looked at pictures of 'The High and Mighty'; one of the very first Ramcharger cars; run at the '59 Nationals at Detroit Dragway.. The upper plenum stood up on legs through the hood with the runners made from radiator hoses---clamped top and bottom. Would make it very easy to change runner length!  ;)

KS

I remember that car. Never even thought about the "tuneable" length...lol  I wonder if ribbed flexible hose would work better? Maybe Jay should look into doing his this way for even more...*cough*, flexibility ;D
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 07:42:56 AM »
Maybe ABS tubing today? Cheap, could use O-rings machined into the tubes, insides slicker than any unpolished metal. Would be a good idea for dyno testing some specifics for a particular engine, the results transferred to something more durable. 
Bob Maag

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 09:22:57 AM »
Would static electricity be a problem?

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »
At Ford we did dyno studies with adjustable tubular runners.  The mathematical formulas only get you so far at the time, so we tweaked the lengths to fix dips in the torque curve.  Once you had the right combination of runner lengths, the twisting and turning began to get the thing to package!

Nowadays the compressible flow software is so good that they're probably doing it all in CAD.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

falcon428

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
Here's the manifold model I just finished tonight for tuning to the fourth harmonic.  Tuning to the fourth harmonic knocks about 2" off the length of the runners.  This sets the plenum down quite a bit, and so now there's a bulge on the inside to accomodate the distributor.

Overall height of the manifold is reduced by about 2-1/4".  I haven't done the EFI version of the runners yet, but just for fun I plopped the front inlet Holley plenum top into place anyway.  This looks like it just might fit under the hood of a Mustang.  That would be cool...

Now we are talking. That would look good with my F2 pushing air thru it. :). I want it to fit under the stock hood of my Falcon.
'65 Mercury Comet w/ Pond Alum. 427, C6
'61 Ford Starliner w/ 352, C6
'68 Falcon w/ ProCharged FE, Lenco 5sp
'67 Country Sedan SW
'62 Falcon awaiting turbocoupe motor & tranny
'40 Ford Tudor Sedan all original

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 03:56:46 PM »
that is some really cool stuff . I am always looking to learn , very good info . thanks 

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
jay,
any progress on the intakes since making your 3D modles ? Are they designed to work with the 13002 adapter with the straight ports or are you doing another adapter all together ? i did read where you were thinking of also doing some that would fit the 13001 adapters that many like myself already have. you may have addressed these things already and i prob missed it. thanks for any updates.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

newfalconowner

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
kinda like the 351C weiand tunnel ram I modified for multiport injection for the adapter

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »
jay,
any progress on the intakes since making your 3D modles ? Are they designed to work with the 13002 adapter with the straight ports or are you doing another adapter all together ? i did read where you were thinking of also doing some that would fit the 13001 adapters that many like myself already have. you may have addressed these things already and i prob missed it. thanks for any updates.

Keith, I'll be testing the 3D printed version that fits the #13001 intake adapter sometime in the next week or so, on my current dyno mule.  I am also currently machining the runners for the tunnel port version that I had at the FE Reunion; if they look OK when finished I will then get the plenum on that one machined.  I actually have two customers for the tunnel port versions so I am focusing on that version first.  After that I will machine the one that fits the #13001.  I haven't gotten any further than design on the one that fits the #13002 adapter.
Jay Brown

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2017, 04:47:12 AM »
Jay, I`m interested to see how your TP runners come out. What length did the tubes end up? Not much progress on my build right now, but I have all the stuff to assemble the short block, just not the time.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
I would buy one in a heartbeat if that helps !

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
Some of you may recall the billet intake based on this design that I showed at the PRI show, and pictured in that thread.  I've been talking to Kurt Neighbor about one of these for a while, for use on the high riser in his Super Stock Thunderbolt.  It took me a while but I finally got a design done and have machined Kurt's intake.

Kurt had provided me with a Hogan sheet metal intake and I took dimensions off that manifold and incorporated them into my design.  Of course this billet intake matches up with one of my intake adapters that I also did for Kurt; in fact he is using two different intake adapters to match up to two slightly different port configurations on a couple sets of his heads, and this billet intake will bolt onto either one.  The advantage of the billet intake over the sheet metal intake is twofold.  First, since the billet intake is machined, all the runners will be exactly identical, for consistency of the intake charge.  Second, according to Kurt one of the issues with the sheet metal intakes at high RPM is that they tend to vibrate, and that vibration will mess up the signal from the valve closing that you are trying to tune for.  This is related to the sonic tuning effect, where you optimize runner length to help fill the cylinders at a certain engine speed.  The downside is weight; the billet intake is heavier than the sheet metal intake.  Some pictures of the billet intake are below:

Also I'm currently machining one of my standard billet intakes for the #13001 intake adapter for another customer, and he was interested in a billet top, rather than the Holley LS tops that fit my adapter.  I have the CAD model and the machining programs done for this one now, and am waiting for the billet aluminum to arrive next week before I start to cut the metal.  Here are a few pictures of the billet top model.  It would be good to have a spacer between the top of the intake and the billet top, to add some plenum volume, but if there's no room it could just bolt onto the top of the billet intake.

Regarding the spacer, making it out of a non-conductive material like Delrin is a good approach, but when I checked pricing I was surprised to see that on a cubic inch basis, Delrin is significantly more expensive than billet aluminum!  I did make a 1" thick Delrin spacer for one of my SOHC intakes quite a while back, but either had forgotten how expensive it was, or the price has gone up quite a bit.  In any case, some time soon I will be creating the fixture for machining a spacer and then will be able to provide a complete billet intake, in case the Holley LS top is not desirable. 

I'm very curious to see what kind of results Kurt gets with his intake; hopefully he will go faster...
Jay Brown

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »
 8) 8) 8) i have a soft spot for machined metal
Beautyful work Jay

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 06:40:17 PM »
Yes, nice work Jay!

Vibration? Who woulda' thunk that a sheet-metal runner could vibrate. Amazing!
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
Pretty darned cool !! Those runners look like one piece deals, and probably a tricky piece to machine. One question, what's the theory on the carbs being offset from parallel?
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
Awesome!

One question, what's the theory on the carbs being offset from parallel?
I wonder the same thing.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 11:02:57 AM »
Very cool setup!  I'd be careful with that flat top design under full vacuum load.  With that much flat area you've got hundreds of pounds pushing down.  In Delrin especially it will sag quite a bit.  Even with aluminum you might have a problem. 

I'd want to put some structural ribs between the carb pads and edges to stiffen things up. 

JMO, of course!

- Bill

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »
The idea on the tilted carbs is to get the carb butterflies as close as possible to directly over the runner entrances in the plenum.  Since there is a stagger left to right on the cylinders, the runner entrances are also staggered in the plenum.  So rotating the carbs a bit will line the butterflies in the carb up more closely with the runner entrances.

On the Delrin question I agree that if I made the top out of Delrin it would probably flex and sag quite a bit.  However, I wasn't considering that, I was only considering using the Delrin to make a spacer that went between the billet plenum and the billet top plate that the carbs mount on.  Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.  The delrin spacer would have a wall thickness of about 3/4" and just go between the top plate and the plenum, so it isn't going to sag or move around in that location.  But Bill that is an interesting comment about the force on the top plate.  There are about 160 square inches of area in that top plate with the carb butterflies closed.  When snapping the throttle closed after a wide open pass you might have zero pressure in the plenum, so at 14.7 psi atmospheric pressure, that is a load of 2350 pounds distributed on that top plate LOL! Yikes, some reinforcing ribs are probably a good idea, even with the aluminum...
Jay Brown

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 11:45:09 AM »
The idea on the tilted carbs is to get the carb butterflies as close as possible to directly over the runner entrances in the plenum.  Since there is a stagger left to right on the cylinders, the runner entrances are also staggered in the plenum.  So rotating the carbs a bit will line the butterflies in the carb up more closely with the runner entrances.

I get it now. I didn't think of the fore/aft stagger of the runners
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 05:23:58 PM »
...  There are about 160 square inches of area in that top plate with the carb butterflies closed.  When snapping the throttle closed after a wide open pass you might have zero pressure in the plenum, so at 14.7 psi atmospheric pressure, that is a load of 2350 pounds distributed on that top plate LOL! Yikes, some reinforcing ribs are probably a good idea, even with the aluminum...

I was thinking about a vacuum pot a friend made years ago for molding urethane parts.  (When you fill the mold with urethane, you need to put it in a vacuum to get the air bubbles out...)  Anyway, most of these pots are thick acrylic cylinders with a dome on the top.  Anyway, my friend had a bunch of massive 1" thick acrylic pieces, so he made a 24" x 24" x 12" high  box with a removable flat lid. 

When he pulled a vacuum on the box, the 1" thick top collapsed and exploded!  It's truly amazing how much force builds up when you have some area  :o :o
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:29:04 PM by WConley »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 06:51:21 PM »
 ;D ;D my neighbour welded himself a airtank
For the compressor same gauge steel as a regular
tank.... but he made a cube.... that thing tried
to be a ball

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
;D ;D my neighbour welded himself a airtank
For the compressor same gauge steel as a regular
tank.... but he made a cube.... that thing tried
to be a ball

LMAO!
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 02:55:58 AM »
Mmmm and he still don’t understand why although
i have tried to explain to him why

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 09:35:23 AM »
I've seen lots of old Pro Stock intakes (BBC, 351C, 426 Hemi, Boss 429 ) back then but can't ever remember seeing any top plates being reinforced by struts, bridges etc. To be fair, most then did used cast aluminum bases (think: hi-rise T-Rams, mainly Edelbrock) to where the top was custom made to each racer's desire. True all sheet-metal T-rams where years away. Still, many top plates looked pretty thin indeed and I now wonder how these folks may have missed this vibration issue? 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:11:30 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »
Well, the vibration issue is with the runners, not the top plate, and if you have a cast aluminum base like a tunnel ram, then those runners are going to be fairly thick and rigid, and won't vibrate.  I think this issue started to show up when the sheet metal runners became popular.  I have actually seen a few sheet metal intakes with supporting ribs welded to the outside of the runners.  Now that CNC stuff is coming down a little in price, a billet runner is more practical, and of course can be machined to be thicker, and resist the engine vibration.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:02:00 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
Ah, got it Jay and thanks as I misread the real issue.

Well, the vibration issue is with the runners, not the top plate, and if you have a cast aluminum base light a tunnel ram, then those runners are going to be fairly thick and rigid, and won't vibrate.  I think this issue started to show up when the sheet metal runners became popular.  I have actually seen a few sheet metal intakes with supporting ribs welded to the outside of the runners.  Now that CNC stuff is coming down a little in price, a billet runner is more practical, and of course can be machined to be thicker, and resist the engine vibration.
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
So yesterday after a few delays I finally finished up the billet intake for my 13001 intake adapter for my first customer, along with the top that he wanted.  The billet intake itself looks pretty much like the one that I did for Kurt Neighbor that is shown on the previous page, but of course it has the cutout for the distributor included.  The top is a new design based on the Solidworks screen shots shown on the previous page, but with some modifications based on input here, and also my desire to make it easy to build the linkage for this arrangement.  Linkage setups can be such a pain, and I really wanted to make it easy for this part.  Here's a photo of the top and bottom of the top plate; note the Super Sucker-Like contours machined into the bottom:

Here's a photo of this top in place on the billet intake.  The top seals to the billet intake with an O-ring; the groove is machined into the top of the billet intake plenum:

Notice those three little nubs on the near side of the top plate.  Those are used for the linkage arrangement.  I machined a couple of elbows, fitted them with sealed bearings, and created the rest of the linkage out of spherical rod ends and some 1/4-28 all thread:

Also, even though my customer didn't want to use a plenum spacer, I decided to design and machine one so at least if someone else wanted one I would have the CNC programs ready.  Rather than buying a large block of Delrin ($$$), I used a smaller block and machined the spacer in four parts which bolt together.  This will help keep the costs down, at least somewhat.  Pictures of the spacer are shown below; you can see the O-ring built into the top for sealing:

Here's a shot of the whole stack, with the linkage installed, and also one with my 660 center squirter carbs installed and the linkage hooked up.  The linkage is nice and smooth; it works real well with this setup.

One thing to notice on this is that the carbs are mounted opposite to each other, so that the primaries of the front carb are on the right side of the engine, and the primaries of the second carb are on the left.  So, when opening the linkage, the front carb linkage pulls, and the rear carb linkage pushes.  For a race application staggering the primaries on opposite sides may not be necessary, and it may be desirable to mount the carbs in the same direction, with both primaries on the right side of the engine.  The third "nub" on the top plate allows for that, just by using a shorter tie rod between the elbows.  Here's a picture of the alternate carb mounting and linkage arrangement:

Finally, here's a shot of the whole works, sitting on one of my 13001 intake adapters.  I ran out of white background so I Painted some white background in:

Nothing like a little eye candy under the hood!  This top setup for the billet intake is more expensive than buying one of the Holley tops, but it looks better and I think due to the position of the carbs and the radiused inlet to the plenum, it should perform better too.  I'm looking forward to seeing this setup installed on my customer's engine.
Jay Brown

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2018, 01:10:57 PM »
Wow very nice, makes my skill level look like crayon eater level.
Remember, RPM is your friend

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
Really cool pieces Jay!

is this 1st intake designed for a Hi-Riser (primarily) or, with your adaptor, do you think it would work as well with other traditional iron and aluminum heads? Guesstimate on the manifold's weight versus a pure sheet metal intake? 
Bob Maag

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
Any plans on making a top for 4500 series carbs or possibly a made to order kinda thing ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »
Bob, the one I just posted is designed for low riser and medium riser heads, on my #13001 intake adapter.  It will also fit directly on a 351C with stock heads, although you would have to use one of those pans over the valley, since there is no bottom on the intake.  So, I can now do these billet intakes for any FE (LR, MR, HR, or Tunnel Port) except the SOHC, and I do plan to do an SOHC version in the near future.   As a guess I would say that the billet intake is probably 10-12 pounds heavier than a sheet metal intake.

Keith I would do a top like that for a pair of Dominators if I get an order for one.  It would take me a little extra time because the design and CNC code would have to be modified, of course, but it wouldn't be a big deal to do that.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 02:59:47 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:44 AM »
Just looking through this thread again because its so darn cool.

Do you have any plans to dyno this type of manifold on the 504 mule?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »
Yes I do, planning for this spring - Jay
Jay Brown