Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775877 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #225 on: August 25, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
Yes. Each cylinder was stuffed with rags. During the clean up, and just to be safe, i sprayed wd 40 around each piston (After I cleaned off everything) and quickly sucked it up with the shop vac. This was just in case anything at all got down there (which I doubt) but I wanted to take every precaution before I bolted the head back on. Each cylinder was blocked off with rags as i machined, and on the opposite side, I just taped all the way across each cylinder, open passage, water port, an any other opening dust could have gotten.

I am fairly certain they are actually cleaner now then when I first assembled.  Tonight I am going to machine the passenger side.  I am hoping to have the head back from the machine shop after the valve guide honing and possibly the new set of gaskets from precision today.

I am actually sort of happy I get to re-clean and reseal everything up.  Of course I wish the valves never bent, but if this has to be done, best to go back over everything to make sure its spotless and sealed up tight!  Re-cleaning each block surface, re-cleaning the head gasket, re-lubricating each cam bearing, all feels like added security with what I learned putting this together the first time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:18:32 AM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 25, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
New interesting question.  The 2005 Saleen has a more modern Alternator that a Ford FE (As far as the wiring ports and Amps go)....  I cannot find an aftermarket Ford FE alternator that matches the amps and wiring ports off of a stock Saleen.  Am I able to take the Saleen alternator, remove the front cover and pulley and swap the faceplate and pulley from a ford FE alternator so that it will work in a Saleen?
Both the Saleen Alternator and the Stock Ford FE alternator seem to just have 4 long bolts that hold the faceplate to the body of the alternator.  My thinking was if I can swap faceplates, the FE faceplate and pulley will allow me to bolt it using the Ford FE alternator brackets, but the Body and internals from the saleen alternator will allow the wiring connections and such to still work with the Saleen ECU (wiring harness for the alternator).  I am not sure how all of this will figure into the stock ECU controlling almost all functions, but the FAST EFI ecu just controlling the fuel, spark, and O2 sensors....  like the car will have 2 ecu's?

Here is a link to a replacement 2005 Saleen Alternator : http://www.americanmuscle.com/130amp-alternator-0509gt.html
Thoughts?
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 25, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
Obtain a G3 with the appropriate case & it should not be a big deal to adapt to an early engine, has been done for years.:

http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/page63.html

Mike

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
I was, looking into this.  I found a 3G, but it looks like it would need a wiring adapter to work with the 6G saleen wiring harness.  Is this the adapter harness that's needed?  I could not tell if this allows a 3G to be installed where a 6G was.... or Vice versa.

http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=14340/prd14340.htm
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:47:17 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 25, 2014, 09:56:21 PM »
I do not have any experience with that adapter but it really should be a matter of looking at the wiring diagrams & connecting the 2 pigtails.
Mike

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2014, 08:28:52 AM »
Thank you
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
Picture of the what I machined off for the intake valve relief:
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »
Well Machine shop called and my head is ready.  I had the valve guides on cylinders 2,3, and 4 honed after my valve bending debacle.  Here she sits ready for pick up tonight  !!  :
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 27, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »
OK Head is home and now just awaiting the new set of gaskets from Precision Oil Pumps and then I can do final assembly.

WHOLE new problem.  When I was taking to the gentleman at the shop, we were discussing the fact that this Cammer will be running off of the FAST EFI system.  We got into the topic of how the stock ECu in the Saleen would basically be worthless because the car will not know its "On" because of the FAST EFI....  Long story short, I will loose the function of everything the stock ECU controls!  ABS brakes, instruement panel, etc.  My question is, is it possible to have Ford program the stock ECU to work with the FAST EFI system?  If not, is it possible to at least wire the new engine to the existing instruement cluster?  The guy at the shop said he didn't think this is possible because the gauges on a 2005 mustang run off the computer (Crank trigger for the crank, etc)  Thoughts?  Ideally I would live to keep everytyhing working including the ABS brakes!  lol
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »
Update:  Gaskets are in and I am ready for final assembly this weekend.

On another note, I have been calling all around this great country of ours.  The issue is that the 2005 Saleen has stock computers and the "Cammer" will have the FAST EFI ECU......  Getting them to play well together or at least split responsibilities has been interesting.  Was told that Stock ECU in the Saleen will not work at all once you disconnect the engine harness from the old 4.6 modular.  Also, FAST EFI I have can not piggy back off of the stock ECU to let it know there is an engine.  So then I called FAST and spoke to them.....  They just kept saying its a stand alone system, however they referred me over to a guy named Brian Macy in NV at Horsepowerconnection.  He has experience with Wiring up EFI's in these newer cars.  He said he has a special wiring harness that will work with the FAST XFI system, but it still wouldn't help me because it works to make FAST EFI work on a stock Mustang modular motor....  He did, however, explain that I shouldn't really have any issues (that he can foresee) except for the instrument cluster.  I guess there are separate modules that control the cars electronics (like abs brakes, power windows, airbags).  He thought the only Computer I would have an issue with is the one that monitors the engine, speed, tach, pressures, etc.  He suggested it would be easier to just get new gauges.

Then I was off to find someone who makes an "Autometer" type gauge cluster for a 2005 Mustang .......and no one does!  I did manage to find Florida50 (right here in my home town!).  They were a referral from my Machine shop guy.  They make Autometer guage clusters for Mustangs up to the year 2004  LOL  Oh yeah! Just my luck.  However, he did tell me that they are currently working on the 2005 and hope to have them out for sale by Year end (or a little before)....  He took my contact info and said it it all plays out right, I may be able to even get ahold of the prototype just to get things moving.  Anyway, I will worry about gauges when all is said and done.  At least I know the car will start (FAST EFI ECU) and that everything except the gauges will work (For now).  Perfect!
Jason

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »
Did the machine shop check to make sure the spare valves were cut identical to the ones that bent? Both in seat angle and length?

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »
The Bent valves just scuffed up the inside of the valve guides.  I brought the head in so they could hone the existing valve guides and install the new valves.  Same valve guides I started with.  :0) (Thank god)

The new valves are the same as the ones I bent.  When I was getting the valve job done at Keith Craft, I purchased another 8 intake and 8 exhaust of the valves he installed incase just such a thing were to happen.  Valve job was done to these valves so I figured it would be best to have exact replacements.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:17:46 AM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 02, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
OK Little update.  I wanted to wait until my new tube of RTV comes in to do final assembly as I would hate to get half way and then run out of  sealant and have to start over again with ANOTHER set of gaskets.  It should be in todays mail. 

Had the opportunity with the long weekend to machine the passenger side head.  In addition to sealing off each cylinder with towels, I asked my wife to hold the shop vac while I was cutting.  Didn't turn out half bad!  After I finished the machining, I cleaned, and cleaned, and re-cleaned each cylinder wall and piston top.  once it was spotless, I took WD40 and sprayed down each cylinder making a "little Puddle" at the bottom then very quickly sucked it up with the shop vac.... Just as a secondary measure for cleaning.  I then cleaned the deck surface, cleaned both sides of the head gasket and cleaned the bottom of the cylinder head (Just to remove any excess oil residue.  Once the head was bolted down, it was on to installing both Cam shafts back into the heads as well as the rocker arms.  Before anything, I backed all 16 rockers back off.  Each was slid to the side and caps bolted down. 

So as of right now, I have everything where I need it in order to seal the backing plate and front cover with gaskets and sealant.  Its going to be a 2 day affair as I need to seal the backing plate first, and then once its dry and secure, I then install the timing cover with its set of gaskets and sealer.  Longest Build in history  LOL
Jason

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 02, 2014, 03:24:08 PM »
Yes, longest build....LOL! But, with the steps and complexity of a Cammer, careful work and Jay's invaluable help it should be a runner. 
Bob Maag

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »
OK Little update.  I wanted to wait until my new tube of RTV comes in to do final assembly as I would hate to get half way and then run out of  sealant and have to start over again with ANOTHER set of gaskets.  It should be in todays mail. 

Had the opportunity with the long weekend to machine the passenger side head.  In addition to sealing off each cylinder with towels, I asked my wife to hold the shop vac while I was cutting.  Didn't turn out half bad!  After I finished the machining, I cleaned, and cleaned, and re-cleaned each cylinder wall and piston top.  once it was spotless, I took WD40 and sprayed down each cylinder making a "little Puddle" at the bottom then very quickly sucked it up with the shop vac.... Just as a secondary measure for cleaning.  I then cleaned the deck surface, cleaned both sides of the head gasket and cleaned the bottom of the cylinder head (Just to remove any excess oil residue.  Once the head was bolted down, it was on to installing both Cam shafts back into the heads as well as the rocker arms.  Before anything, I backed all 16 rockers back off.  Each was slid to the side and caps bolted down. 

So as of right now, I have everything where I need it in order to seal the backing plate and front cover with gaskets and sealant.  Its going to be a 2 day affair as I need to seal the backing plate first, and then once its dry and secure, I then install the timing cover with its set of gaskets and sealer.  Longest Build in history  LOL

Long build?

Haha
Try 5yrs and counting on a 482. Engine has still not been fired.

More pics of your project please..