Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775820 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:19:27 AM »
Well, after years (Literally years) of collecting parts, the time has come to assemble my 427 Cammer.  Its funny to think that this "Thing" which takes up almost the whole guest bedroom in boxes will take up such a small space assembled.  I am 1000% sure my wife will appreciate having the bedroom back (but I think deep down she will miss the smell of cardboard and motor oil in that room)   ;D

OK, so lets get right down to it!  Here is what I have to start putting together....

Robert Pond SOHC Aluminum Race Block (With the oil drain back holes for each head) Bored out to 4.250".  (Thanks to Jay Brown for helping me machine the plug for the
4th cam bearing bore)
Bill Coon Aluminum Cammer Heads (3 angle valve job was completed by Keith Craft out of Arkansas with the Ferrea light weigh valves)
Camshafts from Racedyne  (Lift; Intake .433  Exhaust .430 Duration, seat to seat;  Intake258  Exhaust  258  Lobe Separation; 108)
Crankshaft is RPM Forged 4.250" stroker
Intake manifold is Robert Pond dual plane 2 X 4 Aluminum
EFI is FAST EFI Dual Quad setup (to keep the look of Carbs, but with all the fun of EFI)
Moroso 7 qt oil pan
High Volume Oil pump from Precision Oil Pumps
Timing set from Precision (will be pinning together the stub gears like Jay Browns 519 build)
Eagle forged H beam rods 6.700" with upgrades ARP 12 point bolts
Diamond Pistons (Ceramic coated with tephalon sides )- C.D= 1.330, Pin: .990 x 2.930, CC's: 12.9cc, Compression: 10.8:1
Timing cover, valve covers, and all the little bits and pieces were sourced from Precision Oil Pumps.
T & D Rockers, Spacer clips, and rocker shafts.

I will be taking the block and crank to get Machined /balanced this weekend and will start posting photos soon!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:36:55 PM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

nitro98red

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
Sounds like a really cool build. Especially the EFI set up has my interest. Doing a similar build, just trying to get my headers finished before I send out to the builder. Look forward to reading the updates.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
Thanks!  Yeah, I was thinking about headers too (Have the header flange), but I am actually putting this engine in a 2005 Saleen, so I am not sure how the header tubes will fit around steering joint, etc.  Plus, the EFI setup needs "bungs" welded in the exhaust headers at a certain angle for the O2 sensor....  Will have to fab the headers once installed.  The picture below is the set up I have.  I found this picture doing a google search.  I love the look and I think it will perform great (and does not require any tuning as its a self learning computer)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:00:51 PM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »
A 2005 Saleen?? Holy cow, scary fast wasn't good enough for you? ;D
Seriously, that will be a cool build. Can't wait to see the details. The 2x4 EFI system looks great. Throw an air cleaner on them and you would never know. Those lift numbers are pretty mild. Is that for reliable street duty or are those lobe lift numbers? If they're lobe lift, then they definitely AREN'T mild.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
Hey Doug,

Thanks.  There was a guy last year that put a 427 SOHC crate engine in a 2005 Mustang.  The article said that they were completely surprised, but it fits right in where the stock 4.6 modular fit (They are almost the same size.  I purchased the saleen as its built off of a 2005 Mustang, but beefier suspension (Extra weight from the cammer) and it looks cooler!  I ordered a T56 Magnum XL 6 speed and a currie 9" rear (Direct replacement for 2005's 8.8"  )....  everything should drop right in with little to no modification.

As far as the cam's, I think those are the lobes specs.  Here is the Racedyne website with the specs...  The cam is supposed to be factory 427 SOHC Spec:  http://www.racedyne.com/Racedyne_Inc./427_SOHC_Cams.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:35:37 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
Those lift numbers are pretty mild. Is that for reliable street duty or are those lobe lift numbers? If they're lobe lift, then they definitely AREN'T mild.

SOHC rockers are only 1.3:1 for ratio, so .433" at the lobe is about .560" at the valve.  That sounds just about like what the stock cams were...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »
I figured Factory Spec would be best as I wont be racing this engine.... just something cool to cruise Ft. Lauderdale Beach in  8)
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »
OK, I spoke with the Machine Shop I selected to do the block and crank.  You would think with all the $$ down here in South Florida (Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Bentley's ), that there would be a half decent Machine Shop to do the work.... But there isn't.  The one I chose is about 45 minutes North of me.  All the ones in Miami were sketchy...  Looked like they drew their shop sign on Cardboard.  Anyway, the Shop I am going with (I am dropping it all off on Saturday) specializes in Ford.  Once back from the Machine Shop, its on to the engine stand for assembly! (Hint... this is when the pictures will start!)

Question.... With a brand new block, does it still need to be line honed?  And if so, wouldn't honing affect the bearing fit? (or does it take off such little material that it wont matter?)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:12:47 AM by cobracammer »
Jason

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 09:33:53 AM »
It's always a wise idea to have the main bearing bores checked and honed on a new block. It doesn't affect bearing fit because a little material is taken off the caps which makes the bore smaller, so honing then brings it back to specs.

I wasn't aware of the small SOHC rocker ratio...being a mere mortal who only dreams of owning an SOHC ;D

So what did you do with the Saleen motor?
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
Hi Doug,  Good to know on the Honing.  Thanks.  As for the Saleen Modular Motor, I am probably going to pull out the whole drive train and sell it.  Motor, 5 speed Tremec 3036(?) Driveshaft and 8.8 rear.  Don't need them anymore and will take up too much room to keep in the garage.  I am going to wait until I have the cammer engine built before I pull out the stock motor.  I purchased an AJE K member specific to 2005 Mustang GT's with BBF motor mounts....  Will swap the stock K member out when I pull the Motor to make the reinstall on the AJE easier (instructions say it takes like 1 hour to swap it out as it uses all the stock suspension and all bolts back into the same locations).  Then with the BBF motor mounts on, I will drop the cammer in and Let her down!  Of note, I have been going back and forth with AJE racing as they advertise their BBF motor mounts work with any FE engine.  I found out that the 427 FE Side Oiler had the slightest change to motor mount holes on the block, so thay are currently working on engineering their current design to work with Side Oilers.  I personally will just weld and shave the ones I have to fit (not a huge modification)... 
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
OK actually just got a message from James over at AJE racing in regards to the Motor Mounts for the Cammer engine.  They had gone back and forth, and they feel (as do I now that I'm thinking about it) is to trim the Drivers side motor mount I have in order to accept the FE Side Oiler block.  Since the Drivers side motor mount is just like any other FE mount, that side mates perfectly to the motor mount.  The drivers side needs a bit of a trim and drill.  I will need to use a cut off wheel to trim the Driver side rear portion of the mount (Closest to the firewall) as it interferes with one of the screw in oil galley "bumps".  The second part will be making a card board template and transferring the exiting holes from the motor mount onto it.  Then place the cardboard mock up against the block and locate the bolt hole with a small piece of wire.  Once I have a location, I can use a razor to cut out where the bolt needs to go.

Having the cardboard template, I just need to close up the existing hole that will not be used on the metal motor mount with my Mig welder (to retain strength... the new hole and the existing hole will be fairly close to one another, so want to make sure it retains its strength).

As James at AJE put it, by doing this, you can ensure that the motor will be mounted in the AJE tubular K member how the engineers designed it... which puts the back of the FE block exactly where the back of the stock modular engine is now...

AND FOR MORE GOOD NEWS!!!  Also received an email update from Modern Driveline, which is an awesome company that has helped me with the Transmission fitment (not everyday someone puts an FE in a late model).  The gentleman named Paul over there is just waiting on a bell housing spacer that was being made by Tremec.  This spacer allows the Tremec T56 Magnum XL to be used on a Ford FE engine without pulling the tranny apart to correct the length of the input shaft.  Shifter location will be exactly where it is now, so its just basically dropping the old one out and putting the 6 speed monster in!  This is why I chose the 2005 Saleen....  With AJE racing making a Tubular K Member with Ford FE motor mounts that locate an old FE block right where the Modular one is located...... and Tremec making a 6 speed T56 Bell housing adapter that will let me use the existing Hydraulic throw out bearing (and bolt in exactly where the Stock tranny sits....  should put me on the road faster to have some fun.
Jason

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
I'm not sure what the motor mount changes are for the SO that you spoke of. All FE mounts are the same from '65 on up and aftermarket blocks all use this common 4 bolt design...including SOHCs as far as I know of. The 427 SO in my Mach bolted right up to the stock mounts.

If you were closer, I'd take that Saleen drivetrain off your hands for my '09 GT :)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
I suppose the mounts are slightly different than factory, so I can see them interfering with the side passage and ports. You sure have this thought through well enough. Good strategy to limit surprises. It should be an awesome ride when your done.

And with SOHC emblems on the side, most people will think "Big deal, Shelbys have DOHC". Little will they know :)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
This project blows my mind.
I had a 2005 Saleen and dug it but I never thought of doing what you're going to do.
Can't wait to see it happen.
Good luck!
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
Yea should be a fun to get groceries  :0)

As far as the motor mounts, all FE's were the same with the exception of the Side Oiler.  Due to the oil galley on the drivers side, the forward most bottom bolt hole had to be moved 1/4 inch from the usual FE stock location.  Then, on the same side but the rear bottom mount hole, there is one of the side oilers distinct oil galley plugs (I think there are 3 or 4 in all along the drivers side of the block).  This plug interferes with the mount sitting flush, so by cutting a corner off at an angle, you can get the mount to sit flush.  2 Small mods for the peace of mind that these mounts used with AJE's K member will locate the block exactly where I need it.  :0)

Just for fun Doug, I should put a V6 badge on the side......I think the dual center exhaust might be a dead give away.  Speaking of, I was thinking I could possibly even modify the stock Saleen headers.  Possibly cut them straight off about 3-4" from the 4.6's header flange and then piece in exhaust tube to mate up with the SOHC header flange?  I crawled under there last night, and there seems to already be 2 "bungs" welded on the exhaust.  Maybe by doing this, I can use their bung placement for the FAST EFI O2 sensors?  All with minimal welding since they are already designed to work with this chassis.
Jason