Author Topic: Gauging Interest - Tunnelport Heads  (Read 21432 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Gauging Interest - Tunnelport Heads
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 01:42:35 PM »
Blair once told me that the TP design was so that a 380 cfm TP head behaved like a 330-340 cfm cylinder head because of the pushrod tube design.   I love Tunnel Ports, but what he told seems to hold true to a great degree.  A 465ci 380cfm TP (of course ported heads/intake with raised floors) with a 2x4 intake will make about 695 hp here and a 465ci 340 cfm TFS head with a 2x4 intake will make about 680 here.  Same camshaft, same compression ratio. 

I think trying to make the pushrod tube design work to a high degree will be difficult, not to mention that it makes fitting pushrods a real pain in the hindend sometimes. 

With that being said, the TP is my fave FE....

On a different note, the vast majority of my customers are in their 50's and 60's.  I get some guys with Mustangs and Cobra replicas that are in their 30's and 40's, but they're few and far between.  The Cobra crowd with the young guys will be the ones to carry the FE on, if we can keep them away from Coyotes and LS engines.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »

Another way to get rid of the tubes, would be a timing belt driven, inline, SOHC head, it would be a lot cheaper than the hemi headed "Cammer".

Pete? Aardema offered such heads for the FE. The problem with that design is that lift is limited due to the lack of rockers.

The future?

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128312_electric-crate-motor-kit-is-ready-for-your-ev-project-what-would-you-make
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 01:59:52 PM by Dumpling »

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »

Another way to get rid of the tubes, would be a timing belt driven, inline, SOHC head, it would be a lot cheaper than the hemi headed "Cammer".

Pete? Aardema offered such heads for the FE. The problem with that design is that lift is limited due to the lack of rockers.
You just add a rocker/fallower, under the cam, no buckets.
Frank

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 02:00:57 PM »
I talked with him over the phone. Rockers weren't an option, buckets only. Very little is "just add" in the world of FE's and /or custom design.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:02:44 PM by Dumpling »

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 02:05:48 PM »
I am a great admirer of Jay, the other builders, and the FE fans on this forum. I have never experienced the same level of generosity with information combined with true expertise in any other place, including ones I use for things like my big diesel motorhome. The lack of stupid arguments is one thing, but the deep expertise and freedom with the information is wonderful.

I'm the target you guys are talking about. I built my first FE when I was in my late 50's with parts specified and provided by Barry. I could not have built it and got it running without this forum. The only other engine I'd have liked to build would have been a Flatty. Why? Because they are iconic. The SBC is everywhere, but it isn't iconic. Personally I find the SBC ugly, but the real thing for me is the only American V8 to win LeMans was an FE.

The draw backs to building an FE are lack of local expertise and support. I was lucky to have a friend who had done a bunch of junkyard FE builds, and he encouraged me. You can go almost anywhere and find people that will build a small block chev.

We don't need a new FE head to grow interest in the FE, although it wouldn't hurt. We need access to a good block, preferably cast iron, and a near mass produced quality engine. I say near mass produced because the FE will be up against the Coyote and the LS, and while some (like me) really enjoyed going through all the options, doing the research, studying this forum, and measuring and building the engine, most just want a reliable mill.

If the builders on this forum really want to create new demand for the FE you can get together and secure a good supply of blocks, and then agree on a couple of standard build packages that any punter like me can call you up and say I want an X displacement FE with the Y package, and it shows up, installs, runs, and reliably makes the specified HP and torque. It would be great if all of you offered similar standard packages because it isn't like people like me won't then ask you what you would do to make it specific to me. I liked Barry's Prison Break option as a starting point, then I did my own thing after that. Jay's intake book was hugely valuable to me - it helped me recognize the Street Dominator I was offered was a pretty good option.

And having a TP option would be excellent, as would Jay's heads. Think about it guys, this forum shows you are willing to cooperate to help keep this venerated engine alive in the popular imagination.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:51:50 PM by Yellow Truck »
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2021, 02:07:17 PM »
I talked with him over the phone. Rockers weren't an option, buckets only. Very little is "just add" in the world of FE's and /or custom design.

Right.  A lobe/rocker/follower system is still low lift.  With modular Fords (think 4.6L 2V/3V/4V and even Coyote), you will only see .400-.560" lift at the valve.   When I messed with a 4.6L DOHC engine, the lift was .475" at the valve.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »
In a new design, it can be anything you want.

Frank

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 02:25:50 PM »
I bet they would sell a few pallets of tunnel ports right now with modern chamber and stock type-improved port if they were ready .
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:28:02 PM by e philpott »

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2021, 02:41:28 PM »
I bet they would sell a few pallets of tunnel ports right now with modern chamber and stock type-improved port if they were ready .

Maybe three or four pallets.  And after I ordered my set, I'd be buying one of Jay's adapters for TP heads.  So, two companies would be making some spending money on that deal.

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2021, 02:44:04 PM »
I'd be in for a set of stock-appearing, standard exhaust location and intake fitment, improved chamber/port.

Not sure how small a minority that puts me in, but I'm used to it.  ;D

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2021, 03:06:37 PM »
I am in the process of design/build on a land speed car that will be powered by an FE. I had intended to do a 385, but Jay's efforts have pulled me back to the FE.

Virtually anything is available if you have the determination. I live in Metro Detroit, with its plethora of machining operations, and such a thing as a forged billet aluminum FE block is a reality if you're willing to pay. It's my intention to do a first engine using a BBM iron block, and when the car is running and drivable, I'll step up and put in a first order (at least five blocks necessary) for the billet items. Virtually any change in architecture is available by request.

This is a long range project and it'll probably be a year before I order the blocks.

KS

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2021, 03:29:32 PM »
Look at the amount of interest in one day. We’re over a thousand views. Obviously there are multiple views with each person (which indicates interest also) but other threads started at the same time as this one have quite a few less views.
I’d buy a set just to have them. Then I’d look for a manifold, etc.
TPs are cool.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2021, 03:30:02 PM »
I bet there are not 100 people in the USA that would actually race a Tunnel Port if the heads were available.  They would go on a show car, or hobby car, or shelf, and become a conversation item.  Left for kids to dispose of.  After this generation of folks passes on, the FE hobby will fade away if your grandchildren are anything like mine.(20-30 years old)  They are not interested in Fairlanes, Thunderbirds, Shelbys, Mustangs unless it is a Coyote.  Just trying to bring some sanity to this conversation.  The FE aftermarket is saturated now in reality, and this forum is one of the things keeping it alive.  Without Jay's forum, the other FE forums have turned into a glorified "Craig's listing" with lots of misinformation.  Joe-JDC

I agree Joe but reluctantly.

Here in the greater Chicagoland area, it's true that kids look at our old iron and admire it but would not invest $1 in one. They are all into rad Asian cars, turbos, 5" exhausts, lowering and more. Besides, they literally can't afford the expense to acquire one and as gas-gobling monsters, only we older gents can afford.

Another sign is that local owners of Model A's and T's literally can't give them away as older guys pass away by the score and their kids have a devil of a time disposing of them. Heck, even a '60's-70's muscle car guy like me wouldn't be caught dead with a old wooden-wheeled antique.

And yes, that maybe 100 max actual racers using a new TP design methinks is a high number. Most would end up on cars for the oh, wow factor.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:33:25 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2021, 04:29:49 PM »
I like the idea, cool to see Bamber Eng going through with it.  I don't think the pushrod tube is that much of an issue. I had a set of tunnel ports 30 years ago that I radically reworked with 5 /16" stem valves and welded and raised exhaust ports. We flow tested them with and without the intake and with a clay entrance with a piece of 5/8" shaft stuck to it. The pushrod tube barely mattered, like an island in a river.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2021, 04:37:49 PM »
Look at the amount of interest in one day. We’re over a thousand views. Obviously there are multiple views with each person (which indicates interest also) but other threads started at the same time as this one have quite a few less views.
I’d buy a set just to have them. Then I’d look for a manifold, etc.
TPs are cool.

Marc, this is the type of response that I was speculating, just wasn't sure about. I had seen a guy post something on the FB Fanatics page maybe 2 or 3 years back about repro TP heads and he received a ton of positive feedback, but that project must have died.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com