Author Topic: Gauging Interest - Tunnelport Heads  (Read 21737 times)

Katz427

• View Profile
Re: Gauging Interest - Tunnelport Heads
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »
Randy or others may have the inside scoop on the NASCAR tunnel port 351, but as I remember it was Junior Johnson who had his people, design the tunnel port head for the 351. I do not believe that it was ever accepted, for competition.

jbamber

• View Profile
    • www.BamberEngineering.com
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2021, 07:29:34 PM »
Wondering if these Alum TP heads have been produced as of yet or an idea of when they might be available ?  You can put me down for 4 sets of heads, 2 stock version and 2 max effort versions.

We are targeting the fall time for availability.  At this point, we can't be specific - foundries are backed up, and difficult to predict.
John Bamber
Bamber Engineering
www.BamberEngineering.com
e-mail: john@bamberengineering.com

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2021, 09:26:43 PM »
Ford offered a tunnel port package for the Windsor in the 90s.
Required a unique block.

Then they abruptly pulled it from the market and bought back parts that they had delivered.

Why the special block, and what other development work was done for that package?

I wonder why they wanted them back so bad.

482supersnake

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2021, 12:09:38 AM »
I think Jay Cushman mike have a couple of sets of the Nascar Windsor tunnel ports and possibly a complete engine.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2021, 09:29:20 AM »

They didn't release all the unique parts at once. Camshaft, then intake, then blocks, then heads.  Midway through their release schedule they decided to pull the project. Then requested the return of parts they had shipped.

Always wondered what the backstory was....

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2021, 09:48:54 AM »
Maybe they didn't want them out running the 351c  ;)
Frank

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2021, 08:29:10 AM »
Jim was game to do about anything. The Ford guys told me that the idea of reshaping the PR tube, using various protrusions in the runners and other such ideas had produced absolutely nothing of benefit---ON THE INTAKE side. I was advised to pay attention to the exhaust.

The end result was a set of Dove TP heads with the FoMoCo intake lay-out and Dove's 'Type Two' exhaust runners. The exhaust side was changed so radically that the head lost most of the FE identifying characteristics. The runners were raised, spread further apart, and reshaped.

Jim's design had the angle of the exhaust runner re-done to such an extent that the runner opening was markedly 'up', almost pointing at the edge of the hood when bolted to a block in the car. The exhaust port shape had one lower corner filled-in quite significantly.
KS

I think these may be the heads you're describing? I pulled these down out of the attic this weekend out of curiosity. The exhaust has been significantly worked over and would require a custom made set of headers because the exhaust runners are directly in-line with the exhaust valves. Probably as straight of shot as you can make with the exhaust.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2021, 09:47:10 AM »

They didn't release all the unique parts at once. Camshaft, then intake, then blocks, then heads.  Midway through their release schedule they decided to pull the project. Then requested the return of parts they had shipped.

The head used "paired" exhaust valves ( #2 and 3 being next to each other ) with the 10 ( only) head bolts caused head gasket failures. Yes Jay Cushman bought out the left over JR Johnson stuff and there are other heads . blocks out there as well.  Cams have an odd lobe layout for the alternative valve locations. After initial approval , Nascar didn't accept the engine combination .
     Randy

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2021, 03:02:57 PM »

The head used "paired" exhaust valves ( #2 and 3 being next to each other ) with the 10 ( only) head bolts caused head gasket failures. Yes Jay Cushman bought out the left over JR Johnson stuff and there are other heads . blocks out there as well.  Cams have an odd lobe layout for the alternative valve locations. After initial approval , Nascar didn't accept the engine combination .
     Randy

Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

Thanks

...and now I know...

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2021, 10:32:42 PM »
Jim was game to do about anything. The Ford guys told me that the idea of reshaping the PR tube, using various protrusions in the runners and other such ideas had produced absolutely nothing of benefit---ON THE INTAKE side. I was advised to pay attention to the exhaust.

The end result was a set of Dove TP heads with the FoMoCo intake lay-out and Dove's 'Type Two' exhaust runners. The exhaust side was changed so radically that the head lost most of the FE identifying characteristics. The runners were raised, spread further apart, and reshaped.

Jim's design had the angle of the exhaust runner re-done to such an extent that the runner opening was markedly 'up', almost pointing at the edge of the hood when bolted to a block in the car. The exhaust port shape had one lower corner filled-in quite significantly.
KS

I think these may be the heads you're describing? I pulled these down out of the attic this weekend out of curiosity. The exhaust has been significantly worked over and would require a custom made set of headers because the exhaust runners are directly in-line with the exhaust valves. Probably as straight of shot as you can make with the exhaust.

It's been some years since I actually had my hands on the heads Jim made up for us, and your photos don't let us look directly into the exhaust ports. My memory says the external view of the exhaust runners isn't exactly the same as what I remember but it is quite close. Very like revisiting an old friend. :)

KS

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »
Are the new TP heads going to be set up like the Edelbrocks so there is no cylinder interference with a minimum of the 4.080 bore?