Author Topic: 1969 Mustang Resto....wanting to start off Roadkill style  (Read 956 times)

ogasman

• View Profile
1969 Mustang Resto....wanting to start off Roadkill style
« on: June 30, 2021, 01:24:56 PM »
I have a solid 69 fastback  that started life as a 390 Mach 1.  It was a California car,  with just a few small rust holes in the trunk floor (bad seal).  I bought it in primer.  It has sat untouched for the last 10 yrs.  It will eventually have a FE heart again, but right now it has a Cleveland .
  Just really want to get it back on the road this summer.  Now way will it be painted, or FE powered.  Just want to get the mechanicals in working order.  The motor turns over by hand, but looks like it was never under power.  The motor mounts are not even bolted in.  I don't know what condition the motor is in, but will give it a whirl to get it running.  The tires are junk on it, so to get things rolling (literally).

1)  What wheel size?  It has a cool set of Ansen aluminum slots on it now, 14's in the front 15's in the back.  The off set on the back wheels is way off.  They stick out past the fenders.  If I stick with 15"s all around, what back spacing should I shoot for in the front and back?  I have a good set of 235-60-15 and 295-50-15.  Any way I can run these tires with the right rims?

Thanks
Paul

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: 1969 Mustang Resto....wanting to start off Roadkill style
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 03:23:16 PM »
I used some Weld 15x8s on the 70 with 4.5" backspace and they kept the 28" 10" tread Hoosier slicks inside the fenders and clear of the leaf springs.  Same tire as a 275-60x15 drag radial. Fronts were just Weld 3.5 or 4.5" units with 28" front runners, I forget which width.  Car long gone now.  Flacon runs similar back wheel - 15x8 Ansen 4.5" backspace with a 275-60x15 Hoosier drag radial.

How that looks in the fenderwell:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 03:27:13 PM by Falcon67 »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 05:30:21 PM »
Didnt realize you could get such a wide tire on the Falcons. Pretty cool.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 06:10:18 PM »
The DR sidewall is stiff enough to clear the leaf. The fender lops are rolled. A MT slick will just lightly rub the leaf on the forward section when putting around. Some Falcons may see 28" interference with the tail end of the Ricker panel, depending on housing width and real tire diameter. DRs clear, slicks grow. Leaf relocation required for anything wider. Mustang same set up, plenty of room everywhere.