Author Topic: 66 Fairlane Reborn  (Read 14139 times)

Jb427

• View Profile
Re: 66 Fairlane Reborn
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 02:22:59 AM »
Here are some photos i found of the Mal woods under dash clutch master cylinder i lost the photos of the pedal box out of the car. Clutch fluid reservoir is just left of brake master cylinder.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 04:16:21 AM »
Picked up engine block this week after lifter bore repair all went well heads are done too for T&D race rockers i forgot to get some pic's of the block repair. Gearbox is fitted to cut hole in the floor for shifter all engine parts just need cleaning and rechecking as they get refitted just missing hydraulic thowout bearing 3 1/2" custom tail shaft and 3 1/2" exhaust system fitted and if i get time front bucket seats recovered. week or 2 should have some good progress on engine.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2021, 09:32:58 PM »
Engine update long block is pretty much done now big job is well under way making the 3/8 push rods clear intake not much to see just a bunch of push rods with tape on them to show the spots they are hitting but i like photos so i took one of a friends xy falcon gt 351 just finished being restored it is running a high comp 351c on E85 and a pic of finished body of my 66 fairlane I should have a running car in a month or 2 if everything goes to plan fingers crossed.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2021, 03:47:40 AM »
Looking good mate! Great progress.  :D

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2021, 08:01:16 PM »
Cheers 66Fairlane It is a little painful being so close to the end and finding all the small things you missed.

Fuel tank cover is done and fitted just needs painting and then trunk will be ready for some carpet. Engine is delayed for now due to a tone of work at my engine builders.

I have a Question for you 66Fairlane did you fit 3 point belts to your car?. i put all the mounting points in when the body was bare metal did you get yours made or use a mustang style set?.

Nice Surprise this afternoon Added to this post is new engine photos one push rod still needs some work to get clearance heads are on for the final time with some luck may have it done over the easter holidays.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 02:17:21 AM by Jb427 »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 05:28:01 PM »
Hi Jb. I don't have any seat belts........Maybe one day.  ;D

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2021, 10:56:24 PM »
Hi Jb. I don't have any seat belts........Maybe one day.  ;D

I thought you would of had belts for sure ill have to make sure to get lots of photos then of when i get mine sorted out. i did a mount down bottom just in front of rear seat for the retractor a mount for the shoulder strap at the top of the rear side trim panel and i put one in the roof too but I won't use that one it spoils the look with a belt hanging down there.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2021, 05:06:28 PM »
Yeh, the rears would be easy. Its the front that present the headaches. I won't use the roof either. Also hard to hide the inertia reel inside the rear window cavity. I have always wanted to go down the 'belt in seat' route like some Mercs and Bimmers, plus you get comfy seats. Just haven't got there yet.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 11:31:38 PM »
Motor is back at home now lots of small things to check fit and finish fit.

Photos did not come out well lighting was really bad.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 02:59:56 AM »
Got some progress done Engine is in and mounted have a few fitment problems to fix sump drain plug is close to the front crossmember need to trim some off the bottom lip to make room so it can be removed have to take the bolts out of the brake master cylinder to install or remove the left side rocker cover. But thank goodness the brake lines don't need to be removed just to get to the rockers. Engine has been moved back around 6mm or 1/4" but i may have to move it back to standard makes front left top extractor bolt unable to be installed or remove with out lifting the engine not that you can get them out with the engine mounts in anyhow. My custom hydraulic throw out bearing looks like it will be a few months away so changing the 2.5" exhaust to 3.5" will be the next job. More updates soon   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:01:55 AM by Jb427 »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2021, 01:24:55 AM »
Good progress. Feels great when they're in. Makes ya feel like your on the home stretch.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2021, 08:58:12 AM »
It dose feel good with the end in sight. But i never want to see another fe header bolt again pulled the left and right headers off and on all day what a nightmare and they still need to come off and on a few more times yet. The black Eagle Racing engine mounts are so very slightly different still a (great product). I made a few thickness engine mount spacer plates today number 2 pipes on left and right side are just a little to close to the shock towers i will fit a empty gearbox case and extension housing tomorrow so i can get final angles and height all sorted got some 3.5" and 3" exhaust flanges today I may not be able to go 3.5" and keep the ground clearance i want but ill give it a shot. A bunch of new parts are on the way but it is a shame i can't even buy exhaust gaskets here in Australia apart from fel pro almost every part even some thing simple is a dam special order. I should get engine fit finished over the long weekend should have better update then.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2021, 09:55:50 PM »
Few more pics of todays progress got a dummy gearbox in to set engine height and angle i had to add 1/8th" thick plates under my engine mount also a pic of fuel tank cover battery box spare tire.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2021, 10:14:24 AM »
Ran into some small problems test fitting some old and new parts fresh photos below show my old radiator shroud/fan set up for Australian weather I had this set up running before all the new engine gearbox engine mount changes it was tight before now it is a problem radiator is 4 row 26" wide 22" high and 3.2" thick at the tanks fan + shroud set up is Derale twin 12" fans shroud was cut down from 2.75" to around 2.25 inches giving just enough clearance between fans and radiator. my old cast iron water pump was fitted along with cvf water pump pully it will be changed from button head hex bolts to counter sunk bolts so the end of the water pump pully will be flat. The Black Eagle Racing engine mounts are adjusted to the most forward position now that i have the engine mounted very close to the right angle and height i can move the engine back with the engine mount spacers that makes a new problem when i did a dummy fit on an engine block heads exhaust and the tunnelwedge intake i forgot to grab the sump from my engine builder the moroso T pan i think the canton T pan is the same has the sump plug on the drivers side rear corner of the pan right next to the 66/67 fairlane crossmember i had to do a small bit of cutting and grinding to the lip at the bottom of the crossmember just to make it so i could remove the sump plug. There is still good clearance around the bottom of the sump and crossmember once i move the engine back i think engine will need to be pulled sump remove and sump plug moved. On the steps that did go forward wiring is almost done just some more braided wrap to install to finish that Custom hydraulic throwout bearing is being made by Mal Woods with some luck i will have that in a few weeks and be able to final install the gearbox shifter and reinstall interior to a finished state then new tailshaft 35 spline 3rd member and axles and exhaust can be finished.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:16:35 AM by Jb427 »

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2021, 10:51:41 AM »
Jb, if I understand you correctly you still have a clearance problem between rad and wp pulley?
I have the same Derale fan set up in my mustang. I was able to cut about a half inch out of the fan housing that butts to the rad and gain clearance. But you have to be careful not to cut off so much that the center of the fan motor contacts the rad fins. Then you have to weld new brackets on.
Hope I understood you. You guys talk funny down there. ;D
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon