Author Topic: 66 Fairlane Reborn  (Read 14136 times)

Gregwill16

• View Profile
Re: 66 Fairlane Reborn
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 08:11:06 AM »
Very nice!

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 09:04:59 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words i will go into more detail on the build once i get over waiting for parts  :(
I should have some fuel system install starting soon not looking to fun trying to fit -10 and -8 lines in the car. I got my diff back today it ended up 55.11'' or 1400mm axle flange to flange.

Nice work! That engine should probably run ok for ya.

Could be a dud yet  ;) and i think ill miss the std 390 that you can drive anywhere. 

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »
Have your made the wheelwells any bigger or does the wheels fit without.?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 10:43:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words i will go into more detail on the build once i get over waiting for parts  :(
I should have some fuel system install starting soon not looking to fun trying to fit -10 and -8 lines in the car. I got my diff back today it ended up 55.11'' or 1400mm axle flange to flange.

Nice work! That engine should probably run ok for ya.

Could be a dud yet  ;) and i think ill miss the std 390 that you can drive anywhere.

Cant wait, as I will have to upgrade my fuel system also. Are you going to run a dead head system or use a return line?

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 11:45:10 AM »

When the rear quarters got replaced the side of the outer inner fender was changed. It starts from nothing at the top of lump that goes around the inner fender and ends up about 1and 1/2 inch wider at the top and squares up that out side it still has the lip on the out side as well springs are relocated around 1.3 inches or 35mm in.

My pump is an areomotive a1000 brushless unit it is -10 in and -8 return Bbm tunnel wedge has 2 725 QF carbs.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 04:09:40 AM »
Small update
fuel lines are for the most part finished fuel tank is being finished now I think these pics are before i had lines fully mounted in place
Head gaskets are now here Big thanks to Brent at https://lykinsmotorsports.com/ for all his help and advice It is hard working through emails But he never fails to help me anytime i have questions.
no new pics on engine yet final fine tuning of the T&D race rockers and intake manifold fit as well as my Ice Ignition system here is a link to there web site https://www.iceignition.com/
My bbm heads need abit of a tune up on the head bolt boss's under the t&d sub plates so i can use the same size shim spacer washers all around. Intake pushrod holes need to be touched up as well to give clearance for the 3/8 .135 wall pushrods. More news soon

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »
Found a few small problems this week wile test fitting solid roller lifters heads and t&d race rockers.
Mentioned some of the problems before here is more detail on what was found.
When checking heads that have been milled for T&D race rockers shims need to be placed under the rocker sub plate at the head bolt boss's and have 0.002 interference with the sub plate before they get torqued down i am using a 0.120 shim. On the right head i ended up with .016 between the sub plate and the milled section for the subplate to fit to and on the left head i had .007 not a big deal but i was expecting the work to be better they are all the same across each head from the milled section to the bolt boss's one head will have .014 taken off the head bolt boss the other will have .005 taken off the bolt boss's to get 0.002 between the head and rocker subplate

Other Problem was cam bearings my engine machine shop did not do a full inspection after they installed the cam bearings 1st bearing was not clearanced for the distributor not a big deal. But i did pay to have the block cleaned and plastic wrapped Fe engines are not common here and aftermarket block build much less common 99% sure mine will be the only one he will ever see so i can let that one slide.

Last and what i think was the biggest problem was cam bearing 2 and 3 the 2 of them had been installed ever so little too far so they stopped one lifters on each side touching the camshaft lobe .
Not a big deal to fix but i think this should of been picked up with final inspection. I hear about these types of cam bearing install problems quite often for anyone building engines if you have the skill and the tools install the cam bearings your self my engine builder did warn me about this but i chose to have the machine shop do it and the poor man pay's twice :-[ .

My pistons ended up 0.005 down the hole with some advice from Brent i went with cometic 4.360 bore 0.036 gasket for 0.041 clearance. Thanks to Cometic Australia for getting me the gasket's i needed over the xmass brake static compression should be 11.28 to 1 this has been checked by ccing head combustion chambers and pistons in block.

I had to also change my pushrod length from 9.300 to 9.250 3/8 .135 wall 210rad the intake manifold fits good and square push rod holes need to be opened up for the larger pushrods.
Maybe some one can chime in here with some advice on how much clearance i should shoot for i only plan to turn the engine to 7000rpm.
I also will be installing lifter oil restrictors I am using morel pressure oiling solid roller lifters I will try to get some photos of that as well when i was looking for info on how this is done i found it hard to find good info on how and where those restrictors go and it is done. Brent helped me with that one too.

I should have a finished fuel tank back this week or early next week I will make sure to get better photos this time last ones i posted are not very good and don't really show anything useful.

One other thing i need to ask all the 66 67 hardtop fairlane people front windows I have mine installed and fitting ok but i am not happy with the fit i can't seem to get the front of the window to come up even with the back of the front window there has to be a trick to this but my brain hurts after an hour or 2 of adjusting them any tips on this problem would be great every thing is clean well greased glass is not detached at the bottom just need to know the right way to get the window to tilt down at the back and up at the front so it comes up even the window stops don't change this. i will post some photos of this in a day or 2     

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »
New fuel tank is done and worked out at 28 us gallons or 106 Ltrs 1/2" -8 Breather/rollover valve is top left return line is top right i still need a 120 deg -8 fitting for a nice straight line to the -8 bulkhead and 90 deg fitting just above it hard to see with everything black. Breather line still needs to be plumbed.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
You might try loosening the regulator mounting bolts on the window assembly and rocking it so the back end of the regulator is up and the front down. I know there is not much adjustment there but you may not need much to get it leveled out. Make sure all the stops are loose.  How is the the vent window lined up with the A pillar? If that is tilted back for whatever reason it could be influencing the window.
Good luck!
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 07:11:04 AM »
You might try loosening the regulator mounting bolts on the window assembly and rocking it so the back end of the regulator is up and the front down. I know there is not much adjustment there but you may not need much to get it leveled out. Make sure all the stops are loose.  How is the the vent window lined up with the A pillar? If that is tilted back for whatever reason it could be influencing the window.
Good luck!

Thanks for that info 6667fan I will give that a shot this weekend I think i have the Quarter glass/A pillar pretty good i think i will lossen them up and give your trick a try.

Cheers.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 12:33:11 AM »
Found a even bigger problem with work done to my bbm block now it will be back to the shop to get fixed the way it should have been the first time.
1 lifter bore will get a sleeve you can see why in the pic machine shop said one lifter bore had a casting mark in it but it will be ok. But that is not ok for my liking i would of had it fixed like it should of been at the time.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 01:45:46 AM »
That’s really disappointing. I’m sorry you have to deal with that.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2021, 03:44:18 AM »
Small update got a dummy block from a friend and some old heads for test fitting things. Lots of small changes needed fitted gearbox and scatter shield fuel system needs some tweaking from plan A looking at going cable accelerator now too headers will get fitted soon ready for the new 3" system to be made. Should keep me going wile the bbm block is getting repaired.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2021, 06:55:48 PM »
Great work mate! Its going to be a ripper when done.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 02:04:08 AM »
Great work mate! Its going to be a ripper when done.
Cheers

Fuel system is now finished did not work out the way i planed but i am happy with how it ended up. Will have my block back next week so the fun stuff can start back up :)