Author Topic: Harmonic balancer questions  (Read 4621 times)

Joey120373

• View Profile
Harmonic balancer questions
« on: August 27, 2020, 10:15:37 PM »
Was wondering if those of you that build a lot of FEs could give me a bit of advice.

First question, hopefully the easier of the two. Who makes a good quality, basically stock replacement balancer? Or what balancer do you prefer to use on a mild, let’s say sub 5500 rpm truck motor (360-390) . Does not need to be certified for anything, just a good unit and not a cheep offshore chunk.

Second question, in a performance “street-strip” application, where it does need certification, will deal with RPMs over 6000-6500 and live a long happy life doing so.
What’s the preference in that case?
And, I notice that many performance balancers are dual purpose, for the 386 motor as well as the FE. But usually burried in the fine print it said that some machining is required to make them fit the FE. What needs to be machined? Are there balancers made that are high quality and made to just work out of the box?

First motor it’s quite litterally a back up, bone stock 360 in a truck. Going to be pulling it apart soon for some minor upgrades and such. Origional balancer is looking pretty rough so would rather go back together with a decent stock replacement.

Second will be for the “real” motor that I am still gathering parts for, 520 ish cubes, jays heads ( I hope ) 6000 -6500 rpm or so pump gas weekend toy.  Not a fire breathing 800-900 horse monster , but should still be pretty stout, and I want to use quality components everywhere it matters.

Thamks

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Harmonic balancer questions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 11:08:52 PM »
For NHRA rules, generally you need a SFI certified harmonic balancer for 10.99 ET & quicker.

I know Barry R. has covered the harmonic balancer subject before, hopefully he and the other builders weigh in.

A lot of people use the ATI balancer for a high quality SFI certified harmonic balancer on FE’s. My understanding is the ATI for the FE uses a hub that is shared with other engine brands, so the timing marks can be off 7 degrees, and you want to be sure to check TDC and modify a timing pointer to match. Jay has detailed how to make a new FE timing pointer for the ATI balancer in a few of his engine build threads here in the past, it’s pretty easy.

I have an Innovators West SFI balancer on the 428 in one of my cars that is primarily bracket raced, no issues and the bearings looked good last time it was freshened, and have another one going on a 427 being built now. You have to shorten the FE crank spacer sleeve to use the Innovators West balancer, but the timing marks are on. The instructions that come with the Innovators West balancer details how much to shorten the spacer.   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 11:12:11 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 04:50:45 AM »
For most of my street builds, I will use a Powerbond.   The PB1111ST goes on most of my street engines. 

For race stuff, I will use a Romac or Powerbond PB1111SS.   

The ATI is a nice piece, probably more suited for race engines without a pulley system because you do get into issues with the crank pulley and as Kevin pointed out, the timing marks are 7° off.

Innovators West is also a nice piece.  I use those on my high end pulling engines because they have integrated crank trigger diamonds.  Just makes things less complicated. 

As always with any of them, check the balancer marks against your pointer. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 07:05:01 AM »
For most of my street builds, I will use a Powerbond.   The PB1111ST goes on most of my street engines. 

The ATI is a nice piece, probably more suited for race engines without a pulley system because you do get into issues with the crank pulley and as Kevin pointed out, the timing marks are 7° off.

Innovators West is also a nice piece.  I use those on my high end pulling engines because they have integrated crank trigger diamonds.  Just makes things less complicated. 

I'm curious what issues you had with the ATI? I've used 2 of them now, and I've not had any issues using them, even when using stock type pulleys or March pulleys. They are originally designed for the BBC, so you do have to regrind your stock timing pointer to add 7* of advance, and you do have to slightly 'wobble' the holes so the pulleys will bolt on, but that is easily done in a couple of minutes with a rat tail file. Very easy to do, and it does not affect its mounting or operation.

I've also used the Romac twice, and while it's a nice piece, corrosion always seems to be an issue with them. The clear coating does not hold up well. It doesn't affect the balancer, but visually they end up looking bad after a few years.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 07:40:27 AM »
Thanks for the info, I will look these. Modifying the timing pointer is not a big deal to me, even if the marks are “on” , I would double check and adjust as needed. One of these days, hopefully soon, I will be getting a nice big garage or shop with a new house attached to it ( to make the wife happy) and one of the first things I plan on buying will be my own lathe!

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 09:03:17 AM »
The balancer on my 450 HP 351C is a stocker that was reworked by Damper Dudes some 20 years ago.  It's doing fine after all those years of racing, so if you have a near stocker they can put it back into shape that may well last forever.  Yes, it needs to be replaced with a SFI unit. 

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »

I'm curious what issues you had with the ATI? I've used 2 of them now, and I've not had any issues using them, even when using stock type pulleys or March pulleys. They are originally designed for the BBC, so you do have to regrind your stock timing pointer to add 7* of advance, and you do have to slightly 'wobble' the holes so the pulleys will bolt on, but that is easily done in a couple of minutes with a rat tail file. Very easy to do, and it does not affect its mounting or operation.

I've also used the Romac twice, and while it's a nice piece, corrosion always seems to be an issue with them. The clear coating does not hold up well. It doesn't affect the balancer, but visually they end up looking bad after a few years.

Same.  For the price you pay for them, I don't like having to work on anything.  The Romacs and Powerbonds both will take a lot of horsepower and rpm and I generally don't have to touch them.  Marks are always on, pulleys bolt right up.  Don't have to hone the hubs. 

I clear coat the Romacs after had my first one surface rust 15 years ago.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »
The balancer on my 450 HP 351C is a stocker that was reworked by Damper Dudes some 20 years ago.  It's doing fine after all those years of racing, so if you have a near stocker they can put it back into shape that may well last forever.  Yes, it needs to be replaced with a SFI unit.

I don't think I'd quite say forever.  I've always believed they go bad and doesn't hurt to replace them at least every 20 years or so.  At the least I'd install a new one on a fresh build...even on a slow turning diesel.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »
Until NHRA made SFI dampers mandatory on 10 second and quicker cars many years ago, I always used factory FE balancers, and never had any issues. I have been running ATI Super Dampers on my drag race FEs for over 20 years, with no problems. As mentioned, the TDC mark is of 7-8 degrees, 2 minutes with a grinder cured that, and the 3 pulley bolt holes need to be slightly elongated, another 2 or 3 minutes with a round fie fixes that, as the register ''nub'' is the correct diameter. For my 331 SB Ford race engine, I have a SFI Powerbond, that is fine as well. but for a mild street FE, I see no need for anything more than a factory balancer. As long as the rubber is in good condition, and the marks line up, I can think of better paces to use that money.                                                                                    As for Brent not liking to have to modify new parts that should be made correctly to start with, I agree, but find it curious that he doesn`t seem to mind having Scat FE crankshafts that require oddball crank keys, or cutting down rocker stands to use TFS heads.By comparison, a few minutes to make an ATI balancer work seems pretty minor.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 02:16:19 PM »
Until NHRA made SFI dampers mandatory on 10 second and quicker cars many years ago, I always used factory FE balancers, and never had any issues. I have been running ATI Super Dampers on my drag race FEs for over 20 years, with no problems. As mentioned, the TDC mark is of 7-8 degrees, 2 minutes with a grinder cured that, and the 3 pulley bolt holes need to be slightly elongated, another 2 or 3 minutes with a round fie fixes that, as the register ''nub'' is the correct diameter. For my 331 SB Ford race engine, I have a SFI Powerbond, that is fine as well. but for a mild street FE, I see no need for anything more than a factory balancer. As long as the rubber is in good condition, and the marks line up, I can think of better paces to use that money.                                                                                    As for Brent not liking to have to modify new parts that should be made correctly to start with, I agree, but find it curious that he doesn`t seem to mind having Scat FE crankshafts that require oddball crank keys, or cutting down rocker stands to use TFS heads.By comparison, a few minutes to make an ATI balancer work seems pretty minor.

Well, I gotta give you all something to get wadded up over, don’t I?

I don’t have crank key issues with Scat, and changing the stand height is part of building an engine.  They either have to go up or down to get geometry right, TFS heads aren’t the first ones I’ve had to mill stands down to make things right. Every head and every rocker requires something different.  There isn’t another off the shelf head that performs like a TFS, so I suppose I’d overlook it anyway. 

But if I can buy an equally reputable balancer that I don’t have to modify, I will do that. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 02:22:13 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »
I was under the impression that you could not use the normal FE crank keys for the timing gear and harmonic balancer, is that not the case? Never owned a Scat crank, just 2nd hand information from a friend who said his balancer spacer split due to crank key issues.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 03:12:40 PM »
I was under the impression that you could not use the normal FE crank keys for the timing gear and harmonic balancer, is that not the case? Never owned a Scat crank, just 2nd hand information from a friend who said his balancer spacer split due to crank key issues.

The balancer uses a standard FE key

The timing gear and spacer are located by two SBC keys in line.  It's a big nothing burger :)

ON EDIT: The wrong 3/16 key will sit tall, but wrong is wrong, can't really blame the crank for that
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 03:38:35 PM »
Cracking balancers is not just an FE thing, had that happen with a stock replacement BBC one once.

I’m inclined to agree with Brent, I would rather spend money on a part that fits.

Seems silly and somewhat lazy of manufacturers to charge hundreds of dollars for a part that doesn’t actually fit its intended purpose.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 03:50:05 PM »
Cracking balancers is not just an FE thing, had that happen with a stock replacement BBC one once.

I’m inclined to agree with Brent, I would rather spend money on a part that fits.

Seems silly and somewhat lazy of manufacturers to charge hundreds of dollars for a part that doesn’t actually fit its intended purpose.

Especially when the balancer builder can put TDC wherever he wants to :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 04:52:16 PM »
Those innovators west units are sure pretty! Way overkill for anything I’m likely to build.
I have a few chooses now that I feel comfortable with so thanks guys.
Joe