Author Topic: SBF Dry Sump  (Read 4904 times)

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: SBF Dry Sump
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2020, 11:48:05 PM »
Ken -

Yes a bedplate offers the best stiffness and stability for the bottom end of a block.  When I was at Ford they were working with Porsche Design on the Duratec V6 architecture.  Those use bedplates, but they were a giant PITA to get right.  The block and bedplate are aluminum but the bearing caps are cast-in iron.  Getting them cast together without cracking was quite an engineering effort!

The Jag AJ-V6 is directly derived from the Ford Duratec, so I imagine quite a lot of Duratec DNA made it into the AJ-V8.  The bedplate architecture does look quite similar.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2020, 12:47:43 AM »
I did some looking around today and found a picture of the push rod, Indy engines, dry sump. It is nothing like mine!

It's 2 stage, with a pretty big savage pump, it's gear driven, mounts entirely different and the inlet and outlet are positioned differently.

Regarding "beadplates", Nissan/Datsun, have used them since, at least the 80's, on their low end engines. I have a couple of KA24E's that have them and I had a 510, in the early 80's, with a Z20. I think that's the engine type, it was a long time ago. I was very surprised when I first saw one!
Frank

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
    Frank ,
        I am aware that the Indy ( both pushrod and cammer) dry sumps were different looking. I am also aware that those caps were used on iron blocks for Gurney AND some aluminum 351C blocks for use by Smokey Yunick ( didn't come to pass) for '69 INDY effort. I based my "assumption" on the chronological order of the ASK numbers and who had that kind of "pull" at Ford in that time frame. I have a decent amount of ASK numbers in my notebook.
     The Ford setup used on the Indy engines was pretty tricky since it was incorporated onto the main caps. Your set up looks to be a later more simplistic design and that in itself is not surprising. Holman Moody did NOT use ASK , SK , or XE numbers for parts "they" designed , so these were done by the "scientific engine group" as I mentioned. Yes Holman Moody was a "disposition location" for some of these projects/parts. The 427 SOHC engine inventory was "dumped" after the "production option" was cancelled is a perfect example.
    Randy

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »
A significant part of the 'dumped' 427 cammers went to Vermeersh. I can remember a whole row of them setting on a rack at his place during an early visit.

KS

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2020, 12:42:06 PM »
To add a bit of 'off-subject', has anyone heard anything current about John's health situation?

KS

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2020, 01:34:01 PM »
To add a bit of 'off-subject', has anyone heard anything current about John's health situation?

KS

Yes I spoke to John at length the other day. He is doing well and was sharp. His only complaint was "healing slower than he used to". He has lost weight as well.

The "official" disposition of the cammer inventory was  "ship to HM Charlotte for resale". Ford  wanted no liability with their sale. Plus bean counters could "write off" the inventory at full value "on paper" so they could be depreciated and sold off by H&M with shipping and "storage" tacked on.
   Randy
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:47:14 AM by gt350hr »

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2020, 02:56:41 PM »
I think we can assume that it was built for either Gurney or, Shelby, or even for both to run, in the USRRC/Can Am, F/A-F5000.

Shelby's, '63-'64, King Cobra, only lasted 2 years, in his name. Gurney, campaigned, his Lotus 19 and Lola T70, until '69. Gurney's MK5 F/A-F5000 hit the track in '68, mine was raced in '68 so, it would make since, that it was designed and built, before the end of '67.

I also, now think it was a road racing dedicated dry sump, because of it's 2nd stage, that helps under braking, and designed and built, between '63 and '67.

If only I could get a look at the Shelby system, that was used in '63.

Randy, do you have info of what the ASK numbers where used for, before and after my ASK2233? Is the "A" specific to  the engine group?

Frank

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2020, 11:00:41 AM »
   Frank,
    "A"SK is specific to the ''scientific" Engineering group which was "upstairs" from the Race engine group that used the SK numbers. These letter prefixes were for the blueprints that the parts were built to.  IIRC , the numbers around 2233 were associated with w "325" ci engine. I will check my note book tonight and get back to you.
    "IF" we had access to the engineering blue print , it would state what the part was designed for and have a date on the print as well. Revisions were noted as they were developed. Because of the "advanced" nature of ASK parts , little documentation has been "found" compared to the SK information I have. The gas turbine engines were designed with ASK numbers , cylinder head ports were also done by that dept and a host of other "top secret" , high priority projects. There are references to "some" ASK numbers in my SK log book copies.
   Randy

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2020, 11:27:09 AM »
Thank you, Randy.
Frank

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
To lighten the mood, Here's a 351 split down the middle. Completely. In half. Also had a girdle...

https://youtu.be/MJLS9xFXYAQ

Goood ol' bawahz! :)

KS

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 01:32:21 PM »
  +1 That us a Darwin award winner. I guess some don't place much value on their life. Blowing a motor at the finish line usually results in bodily injury.