Author Topic: Gas temperature in tank  (Read 3459 times)

driveamerican

• View Profile
Re: Gas temperature in tank
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 10:54:55 AM »
I have a similar problem my pump will make a 100 psi so I was thinking of trying a pump that would only make approximately 60 psi only 58 psi required but close to same volume just to cut volume going over relief if that makes any sense.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 02:43:08 PM »
I think your ir gun is wrong  115F is unpleasant to touch it is about where
you feel it starts to burn. 123 is where you starts geting wounds for real. If it dont feels
overly hot to the touch its not that hot or you got asbestos hands ???

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 06:09:32 PM »
you feel it starts to burn. 123 is where you starts geting wounds for real. If it dont feels
I agree. I think there is a certain amount of refection on the bare aluminum plus my gun is an inexpensive one and I have questioned its accuracy.

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2020, 07:32:50 PM »
My tank in my 68 gets as hot as the whole rest of the back of the car after a long drive.

I keep waiting for the fireball to get me, but after 11 years with it on the road it hasn’t happened yet.
Lance H

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »
I agree. I think there is a certain amount of refection on the bare aluminum plus my gun is an inexpensive one and I have questioned its accuracy.

Simple test; heat up a pan of water and check it.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »
Would a fuel cooler similar to an oil cooler be an option or is it too dangerous?

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 08:56:36 AM »
Check the road surface you are traveling on.  I bet it is really hot(say 115 deg)!!  That is likely where the reflected heat is coming from that is getting to the fuel tank.  I wouldn't sweat it.
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 11:39:39 AM »

Simple test; heat up a pan of water and check it.

Or more simple aim it at the forehead and see if you get 37 Celsius whatever that is in Farenheit

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »
Alan, after thinking about this a bit, I don't think it's an issue for you. I was working on my Ford 8N this week (new distributor, coil and all new wiring) when it occured to me that the fuel tank sits directly above the engine. Like about 4-5" above it. It got me to thinking about your situation. While I haven't taken a temp reading of the fuel tank, I know it gets pretty warm after mowing for 4-5 hours on 80-90* days. It has never given me an issue. Out of curiosity, The next time I use it, I'm going to take a temp reading on it with my temp gun.

Or more simple aim it at the forehead and see if you get 37 Celsius whatever that is in Farenheit

Heo, telling someone to aim their gun at their forehead can get you in trouble in certain parts ;D
Seriously though, that doesn't tell you how it reacts to reading temps of liquids. I've aimed mine at liquids before, but never checked it with a thermometer to check its accuracy.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 12:38:26 PM »
120 deg is all about most humans can stand to touch
The problem at above 120 deg is the pump will  Cavitate    I know because mine did.  I shut the car off to open the garage door. Turned on the master switch and the fuel pump took forever to load down
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 09:42:01 AM »
Just last Saturday, doing a little carb tuning on a buddies Foxbody.   He runs a Holley Black pump.   While it typically runs at 6 psi, after sitting in the driveway running on and off for 1/2 hour or so I noticed the pressure was down to 3#.  My guess is since the pump is back at the axle, the exhaust dumps in front of the axle, the heat build up loosened the tolerance on the pump and the pressure dropped off.   He drove it the next day and nothing was said, so I assume the pressure returned to normal after driving and having air moving around the bottom of the car.
Larry