Author Topic: FE Exhaust Manifolds For The F Series  (Read 6729 times)

Joey120373

• View Profile
Re: FE Exhaust Manifolds For The F Series
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
Would love to see Pics!

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 05:28:09 PM »
I ran headers on my 74 for years with no stater trouble so much room the heat gets away.A guy in town had fender well headers
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:48:28 PM by wayne »

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2020, 02:06:37 PM »
I am late to the show but post them up 69 Crew.  My Highboy is a regular cab so you have a few feet on me in terms of space to work with.  69 CCab is pretty rare.

69 crewcab

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2020, 06:18:14 PM »
Harley
All the hard stuff is from the headers to the transfer case. From there back everything is smooth sailing . Mine got a little more complicated at the back because I put a rear mount 31 gallon tank back there and want duals all the way back.
I tried to post some pics from my phone but couldn't  wrong format. as soon as I figure out how to post pics I will

69 crewcab

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2020, 06:29:33 PM »
2-1/2 cross over with 3 inch pipe and ultra custom light weight PVC drive shaft
Sorry if the pic is big

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 08:08:25 AM »
2-1/2 cross over with 3 inch pipe and ultra custom light weight PVC drive shaft
Sorry if the pic is big

I hope that's schedule 40 PVC, otherwise I think you might have issues with that driveshaft. ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 08:28:17 AM »
I run full 3 inch mandrel bent with a 3 inch X-pipe.  I turn immediately toward passenger side with both pipes, then run down the frame rail side by side, then back to normal position behind the tranny.  There is plenty of room for 3 inch. 

Originally I did this with a Dynomax kit did this in the 80s with 2.25 and no crossover, I copied the concept when I did big pipes.  I used to cross the left and right side, left bank/right outlet.  I used to think it was better to keep them sort of equal length, but couldn't do that with the 3 inch and I think the X-pipe does me good anyway.   This is a shortbed 4x4 with a married case, I would expect an F250 to have more room

These of course are laying upside down on the floor and miserable Flowmasters live on the shelf awaiting anyone else but me :)

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
Couple good looking exhaust setups, one day I will have a highboy to drive again.

PVC driveshaft should handle the load though the short bluetooth shaft.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
69 Crew. That is pretty clean.  My long tubes may not allow for that crossover as they end right at the X-member. I like how you did it. Turning the muffler up helps to.  My concern would be the piping hanging below the frame, but after this expense of building this thing, I doubt it ever sees serious off-roading again.  Doing it like you have it would allow more working room for sure. 

Ross,
You would think so, but having the divorced T-case takes up A LOT of room. The passenger side drive shaft(front) is really long and gets in the way of everything on that side.   On top of that they are narrow between the frame rails.  No way you could run two pipes side by side like in your pic.  Things are working completely against you from about the cab forward.  Not impossible but tricky...maybe impossible for the only muffler shop around here.

I gotta get it figured out soon though.  I am buttoning up the wiring and maybe a week from the first fire.  Neighbors are going to enjoy the open hedders but I am NOT putting the second rate piping and glass packs back on it.  Did Pterodactyls "Kakkle"? I imagine the noise this thing made with that setup had to resemble a prehistoric nightmare. HAHA.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
I ran both my pipes down the passenger side, with mufflers turned up sideways and staggered, with duals run over the axel and out behind the right wheel well.  No burned shins or kneecaps at the bumpers that way.  I have always felt the angle of the pipe exit helped with evacuation of the pipes like a jet fighter pitot tube.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2020, 09:09:07 PM »
I run full 3 inch mandrel bent with a 3 inch X-pipe.  I turn immediately toward passenger side with both pipes, then run down the frame rail side by side, then back to normal position behind the tranny.  There is plenty of room for 3 inch. 

Originally I did this with a Dynomax kit did this in the 80s with 2.25 and no crossover, I copied the concept when I did big pipes.  I used to cross the left and right side, left bank/right outlet.  I used to think it was better to keep them sort of equal length, but couldn't do that with the 3 inch and I think the X-pipe does me good anyway.   This is a shortbed 4x4 with a married case, I would expect an F250 to have more room

These of course are laying upside down on the floor and miserable Flowmasters live on the shelf awaiting anyone else but me :)

You don't like the flowmasters...????I have them on my 68 with a Dr.Gas x-pipe..Have considered a change.I see yours have turned gold as well.....
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up