Author Topic: Hooker Super Comp 1-3/4 Headers - Max Horsepower?  (Read 6700 times)

jgkurz

• View Profile
Hooker Super Comp 1-3/4 Headers - Max Horsepower?
« on: May 13, 2020, 10:38:53 AM »
Hi all, I haven't posted for a while. I had some family matters to attend to, but I can now re-focus on my FE project. Long story-short, I had a stout 427 stroker built for my 69 CJ Mustang that should make the 625hp dyno mark. The headers I bought were from REF, but they just won't fit in my car due to the thick flanges and my factory reinforced shock towers. I have spent a HUGE amount of time trying to get the REF headers to fit but I have come to the conclusion I would need to make significant modifications to my car which I am not willing to do. They are awesome for an NHRA stock eliminator 67-70 Mustang with regular shock towers. At this point I am done with the REF headers. I wasted the money, but now need to move on.

Now that you have the context, here is my real question. I am looking seriously at the Hooker Super Comps with the 1-3/4 primaries and thinner flanges. I may cut off the collectors and add quality merge collectors. I have scoured the dyno posts on this forum and others as well as Jay's book. I cannot find one example where the 1-3/4 Super Comp's made 600hp or more. I realize the old-school design with 1-3/4 pipes are limiting. Unfortunately I have a unique situation.

Have Hooker 1-3/4 Super Comp's ever made 600hp or more?

-John
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:14:46 AM by jgkurz »

jgkurz

• View Profile
Re: Hooker Super Comp 1-3/4 Headers - Max Horsepower?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:27:18 AM »
I just found this thread. It looks like Jay made well over 600hp with a 504ci. The 1-3/4 primaries were clearly a bottleneck but I think this proves they "could" support 600+ hp with the right combo.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4760.msg51869#msg51869
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:32:24 AM by jgkurz »

bill_396

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 11:44:46 AM »
I realize it's not the direction you are taking but I have REF headers on my late 68 that has the reinforced towers and also has BT heads which have raised exhaust ports making it even tighter. Maybe your towers have tilted in a little like they do when the years add up. When my engine was out I jacked some between the towers just to be sure and always kept it braced apart until the engine went back in.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 11:47:05 AM »
As a 6114 user, there could be some signigicant negatives to fitment and clearance with race headers, although the power differences on a 600+ HP motor are significant at the HP peak

Watch the curve as well though, because there were equal trade offs in the small tube header at different HP/TQ RPM points, and depending on use, could be called the winner too.

In the end though, I have always thought I could use a little more primary tube, maybe not all the way to 2 1/8, but more, the problem is packaging and availability.  At some point, you have to go around the towers for the front cylinders as you get big and long.  I do think that Jay also had some great result with Tri-Ys which could be a middle option
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 11:51:03 AM »
I learned many choice words watching/helping put those hooker headers in our '68 Cougar.....we bought a set of REF's hoping that when we pull the engine and re-install it that they would help the cause. Our Cougar has the reinforced shock tower plates on it. Really hoping we aren't headed for the same problem. There is a drawer with some "header tools" in it at the shop, cuss-dum made tools by us, all a result of fitting up those super comp headers in the cougar. Hopefully they have a bit better pattern now because our set was a battle.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

jgkurz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 12:42:20 PM »
Thanks for the responses!

bill_396, My towers were tilted. I bought at Global West brace to make sure they stayed put, but I still had trouble. The BBM heads with the thick header flanges just won't fit my car, even with 5/16 hex head bolts and no washers. I worked on it for months and just need to cut my losses. I was so frustrated at one point I was ready sell the whole mess and buy a Windsor. I have since thought better.

My427stang, I agree with all your comments. The 6114 work well but might be a little undersized for my setup. The REF are 2-1/8 but 2" should be just fine. 1-3/4 will be a touch small at the top end. The attractive thing about the 6114's is that they could "potentially" be installed on the engine before lowering everything into the car. I could even cut off the existing collectors and add some slip-on merge collectors that should help power slightly. Removing the collectors should also make it easier to drop the engine & headers into the engine bay. I may be dreaming but it might be worth a try. I just hate installing headers on an FE Mustang. HATE!

mbrunson427, REF headers are awesome and make power, but be ready for this choice words on a reinforced shock tower car.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:11:18 PM by jgkurz »

afret

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »
I had kind of the same problem.  Couldn't use the REFs due to the road race oil pan so gave them away.  Went to the FPA tri-y headers.  They are a cork compared to the REFs but they worked OK.  Car ran quicker than I expected even though the mufflers.  Oh, and the engine probably makes around 500-550 horsepower.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=6437.0;all
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:00:05 PM by afret »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »
I learned many choice words watching/helping put those hooker headers in our '68 Cougar.....we bought a set of REF's hoping that when we pull the engine and re-install it that they would help the cause. Our Cougar has the reinforced shock tower plates on it. Really hoping we aren't headed for the same problem. There is a drawer with some "header tools" in it at the shop, cuss-dum made tools by us, all a result of fitting up those super comp headers in the cougar. Hopefully they have a bit better pattern now because our set was a battle.

Did you install them bolted to the engine/transmission?  I have done it in the car, and although I (strangely) like the slow, methodical challenge of tightening headers, I would never do it again if I could help it.  On the floor, it's easy, then you sling the whole thing in a Mustang/Cougar as a unit.  15 minutes for headers, 20 minutes for engine into mounts.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 05:06:28 PM »
Another thought is to jack the front of the car with the jack under the round brace.  That will allow the shock towers to flex outward enough for you to get the headers installed.  Then add your shock tower brace back in before you let the jack down from under the round brace.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

hhiibel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 12:11:14 PM »
may i see pics of the factory shock tower plates for 69 CJs? and thickness of REF flanges? is it like - if you weld on thin flanges then REFs will not fit for other reasons? also can engine being higher or lower via engine mounts solve?  fpa’s have lots of room on my 67 s-code with factory plates. send fpa a trace of your ports else you may get back not so good of a match. fpa will work with you. tell them everything.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 12:45:55 PM »

Typically, from the factory, the tower reinforcement braces stick out a ways as they wrap around the towers. IF your engine bay is not painted yet, you can gain some valuable space by heating the front brace with a torch and using a chunk of oak and a big freakin hammer to beat them back against the towers.

The factory Medium Riser heads would fit in my R code '69, but there was no room for the bolt heads on the top bolts for the headers (Hooker 6114's). After I beat them back, it gave me enough room to squeeze the bolts between the tower and header flange. I still can't put the bolt in or take it out with the engine in place, so the engine has to be jacked up on one side to get the front top bolts out, but it fits! To look at them, you'd never know they were "modified", if that matters to you. I suggest this to anyone building a big block Mustang that has those braces and will be using those 8 bolt exhaust pattern heads, or if you want to use those bolts on 16 bolt heads.

Caveat though, It also led to an annoying pecking sound as that bolt tapped at the brace on the tower at idle. It was really annoying, so I put an adjustable engine strap on the drivers side to keep that from happening. Of course it also helps keep stress off the engine mounts when the car launches, so it was a double win.

may i see pics of the factory shock tower plates for 69 CJs? and thickness of REF flanges? is it like - if you weld on thin flanges then REFs will not fit for other reasons? also can engine being higher or lower via engine mounts solve?  fpa’s have lots of room on my 67 s-code with factory plates. send fpa a trace of your ports else you may get back not so good of a match. fpa will work with you. tell them everything.

I'll post pictures of how close the braces are with the 6114's, when I get home today. You can't lower the engine enough to gain space, and you can't go high enough to get above the brace without causing issues with the trans tunnel, among other things. Your '67 does not have the wrap around braces that are present on R code cars and Cougars, so it's less of an issue. I'm sure the REF's could be modified to work (seems most everyone I've talked to has the same issues with them), but they are not cheap, and most people don't want to spend big bucks on something they will have to modify. And modifying header flanges is not exactly a job that ranks in the "fun" category. :)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

hhiibel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »
i found pics on the web. i'd cut/clearance as you are already off script for restoration and next owner can weld fill later. for example, i welded in a passenger torque box. it can be removed if being restored.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 11:10:31 PM »
im no builder but it seems to me that it would be hard to say how much hp max.wouldn't a 900 horse engine still make 8 something hp with these headers,i know it has to loose hp,but is it really limited to a certain hp  number with these headers?
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 01:30:26 PM »
Last time i did mine i used a button head bolt by the towers still had to jack the engine up it never leaked.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »
I couldn't find the close up pictures I had of the header/shock tower fit, but here's one that I cropped that shows how tight it is. There was no way a bolt would fit if I hadn't beaten the towers back. As it is, the bolt still barely fits, but on 8 bolt heads, you gotta have that bolt. The dings and scratches are from before I added the engine limiter, strap, whatever you wanna call it.

Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe