Author Topic: Finally got the car to the track  (Read 7424 times)

afret

Finally got the car to the track
« on: September 09, 2018, 02:07:47 AM »
Thor was nice enough to take my car to Spokane Raceway this afternoon to see how it runs.  It was really crowded because of some special club event and on top of that the timing lights when out so got only 2 runs. 

The first run was probably over 20 seconds because the fuel pump switch was turned off. LOL ;D

The second run was better but I think Thor said he shifted from first to third and the car is overgeared so he left off as the engine was bouncing off the limiter set at 6900. 

We raised it a bit to 7100 for a third run but the timing lights went haywire so the track people called it a night unless you wanted to run with no time and a flagman start like the really old days.   ::)

The second run wasn't too bad given the situation.  I think it was a 10.85 at 113 and I think it went a bit over 100 in the 1/8.  I have to swap gears on it and go from a 4.30 to maybe a 3.90 or 4.11 with those short 28x9 radials.   It was fun there though.  There was even a Pinto there.   :)

Performance Summary:

1/8 mile ET:   6.769            1/8 mile MPH:100.97
      60 foot time:  1.498
      Track: Spokane Raceway elevation 2300'

Vehicle Use: Street/Strip

Vehicle Specifications:

Model Year: 1969

Model:Mustang

Style:

Engine Details:

-Genesis 4.25 block, 4.25 steel crank, Ross flat top pistons, Scat rods, Romac damper, 11.2:1 compression
-KC Edelbrock heads.  Stage 2 intake, Stage 3 exhaust ports, 2.25/1.75 valves
-Victor intake, Quick Fuel 4150 carb, Aeromotive street/strip electric fuel pump
-255*/263* at 0.05  (285*/293* advertised), 108* LSA, 0.680 lift cam; Isky EZ-Max bushed lifters, T+D race rockers,  955 Comp springs, Ti retainers, 3/8 x 0.145 Smith Bros pushrods
-FPA tri-y headers, Hooker Max Flow mufflers and 3 inch exhaust
-Duraspark distributor, MSD Digital 7 box
-Jay Brown water pump adapter with electric water pump

Transmission: JPT C4

Torque converter details (if automatic): JPT 8 inch

Clutch details (if manual):

Driveshaft: Strange 3.5" chromoly

U-joints: 1350

Rear end type: 9 inch Strange nodular case

Differential type: Detroit Locker

Gear Ratio: 4.30 (Switching to 3.89)

Axles: Strange 35 spline street/strip

Front tires: Hoosier 27" skinnies

Front wheels: Billet Specialties R/T 15x3.5

Rear tires: 28x9 M/T Pro Bracket Radials

Rear wheels:Billet Specialties R/T 15x10

Front suspension information: Calvert shocks, Moog 8306 springs, Opentracker strut rods

Rear suspension information: Caltracs, Calvert monoleaf springs, Calvert/Rancho shocks

Ready-to-race vehicle weight, including driver: 3500 lbs
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:32:01 PM by afret »

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: Finally got the car to the track
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »
Car looks great, love the stance. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 11:37:49 AM »
Sweet gotta keep our Fe relavant. Car looks great. Would love to hear it.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
Sweet!

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
Curious as to what suspension you are running and shocks in the rear. 3.89 would
be nice if your not making it down the track, had the same problem went from 4.11
to 3.70s and picked up a few tenths. And the motor was much happier

afret

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 06:19:59 PM »
Curious as to what suspension you are running and shocks in the rear. 3.89 would
be nice if your not making it down the track, had the same problem went from 4.11
to 3.70s and picked up a few tenths. And the motor was much happier

Thanks.  The suspension is all Calvert stuff with the Calvert/Rancho shocks in the back and their springs.
Got to figure out how much gear to take out.  The Spokane track doesn't have the 1000' markers so Thor wasn't sure when he let off so it's just going to be a guess.  There's a 4.00 ratio that should knock about 450 RPM off at the top end.  I think a 3.9 ratio would take another 150 off but might be too much. I don't want to over do it.  You sure picked up a lot with that gear change though.

I saw Thor this AM and he said the track got the timers kind of working just before he got the car on the trailer so he made one last run to see how it does the first half of the track.  I had just left before this.  It turned a 6.77 in the eight mile which according to 1/4 mile conversion charts should be somewhere around a 10.6x in the quarter.  I 'm pretty surprised about these times on a first outing especially at the elevation of the Spokane track.  Thought there would be some problems like hooking with these small drag radials and other stuff that always seems to come up.

Probably will order a Strange center section tomorrow. 

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 06:35:03 PM »
Do you know what hole you are in meaning the top or bottom and what number on the rear shocks

afret

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 07:41:48 PM »
Do you know what hole you are in meaning the top or bottom and what number on the rear shocks

It's in the bottom hole, the Calvert shocks are set at #7 stiffness,  1 1/2 flat preload on drivers side and 2 flats on the other.  I think every car is going to be different though.

What cam do you have in your engine?  You have some good videos of your nice car.  The cam in this car is a 255*/263* Lunati.  Boy, Sixty9Cobra sure is running a big cam in his new engine.   :)

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »
Thanks for the info I believe my Calverts are set the same way. My cam is way smaller than
both of you guys. Mine is 280/288 and 621/624 on a 112 lobe. Now my last cam was a lunati
If you look up there voodoo cams the one I had was there smallest race solid cam, 290/300
593/598 on a 108 lobe 3800-7200 was the power range. I had stock heads so it really didn’t make
any power after 65-6700. But boy did it sound snotty. That cam in my motor I bet would make 25/30
more horse than the one I Kate in there now. Your car sits really nice. There’s more in your car it was only the first time out. Looks like low to mid 10s when your done. Just enjoy yourself.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 06:47:51 AM »
  You sure picked up a lot with that gear change though.

He also made a carb swap at the same time as the gear change.  Might have had as much or more to do with the improvement in ET and MPH as the gear did.  Some folks seem to feel that you want to have their "tongue hanging out" a bit at the stripe...as opposed to pulling all the way through.

afret

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »
  You sure picked up a lot with that gear change though.

He also made a carb swap at the same time as the gear change.  Might have had as much or more to do with the improvement in ET and MPH as the gear did.  Some folks seem to feel that you want to have their "tongue hanging out" a bit at the stripe...as opposed to pulling all the way through.

Yup, on a race car but on a street car it's probably makes more sense to not rev so high and save your valve springs and stuff.  Not worth it to try and squeeze every last millisecond out.  Talked to Thor and decided to just drop to around a 3.89/3.91 ratio.  Best to stay well under 7K with this car.  Thanks!

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 01:24:14 PM »
That's really stout Earl. I'm glad you guys got a few hits but very surprised the car hooks as well as it did. The rear gear change will help keep the rods in the block and not hurt your ET. Now I want to see that car run at a sea level track. Looks great though and congrats on the time slips. 

afret

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
Thank you very much, Dale.  It was good to have Thor there and driving.  Makes a huge difference having someone there that knows what he's doing.  I just ordered a center section with 3.89 gears so hopefully that will work out well.  I was also surprised about those small radials.  So far they seem to be as good as M/T claims. 

I have to see you and your car race sometime.  I'll probably tag along on one of Thor's racing trips and hopefully see you at one of them.

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 08:59:24 PM »
If everything works out, Thor and I should be at the last A/FX event in Yakima. It's Oct 13 and 14 so hopefully the weather and money co-operates.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
I agree that's really stout! What clutch are you running, and do you know what RPM Thor was leaving at? I still have a hard time getting my car to leave. I can't dump the clutch because it either hooks hard and lugs the engine or it blows the tires off. Got a heavy Ram street clutch, so it's not ideal for the track. Only way I can consistently get it off the line is to bring it up to about 4500-5000 and slip the clutch for about the first 20-30'. Same suspension set-up as yours, except I have double adjustable rear shocks. I usually set them at 8 or the rear bounces hard and will unload the tires. At 115 trap, I should be doing WAY better than a 12.1! The launch is killing me.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

afret

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »
I agree that's really stout! What clutch are you running, and do you know what RPM Thor was leaving at? I still have a hard time getting my car to leave. I can't dump the clutch because it either hooks hard and lugs the engine or it blows the tires off. Got a heavy Ram street clutch, so it's not ideal for the track. Only way I can consistently get it off the line is to bring it up to about 4500-5000 and slip the clutch for about the first 20-30'. Same suspension set-up as yours, except I have double adjustable rear shocks. I usually set them at 8 or the rear bounces hard and will unload the tires. At 115 trap, I should be doing WAY better than a 12.1! The launch is killing me.

Hi Doug.  I guess you didn't notice the pink shirt.   ;D  It's a C4. LOL

You should really call Calvert and get some good info from him.  He's really helpful. Also you might try and get some advice from guys like Thor or Dale P who have things figured out most likely with a lot of trial and error.  They know what works and what doesn't with a manual trans.  I think you could end up solving the problem a lot faster with less aggravation that way.

Yup, your car should be running deep into the 11s.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »
Ahh, thanks Earl. An auto definitely makes the launch a bit easier. I have talked to Dale and Rory, but still have a hard time getting a handle on it. It's kinda hard to give solid advice on a specific car from 2000 miles away. Just have to figure it out on my own I guess.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »
I had traction problems till I got the shocks from Calvert front and back.
3 way adjustable in front and 9 way adjustable in rear. Dropped my 60 foot time
by just under 1.5 tenths. And they are reasonably priced

afret

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 08:51:56 AM »
I had traction problems till I got the shocks from Calvert front and back.
3 way adjustable in front and 9 way adjustable in rear. Dropped my 60 foot time
by just under 1.5 tenths. And they are reasonably priced

I'm considering getting double adjustable shocks front and rear to have more adjustability depending on track conditions but they sure are expensive. 

Are you using drag radials and which one and what headers?  Those M/T Pro Bracket Radials are nice.  Probably leaving a little on the table with the small tube FPA try-y headers but they seem to work OK.  Weird though not seeing all those tubes hanging down by the oil pan.  :)

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »
Im using regular s/s street drag radials. I believe the pro bracket radials are better than the regular drag radials.
I run Hooker Super Comps. Call Calvert and see how much the shocks are, I dont think they are that bad I cant remember it was 2 years ago

afret

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »
Car looks strange without header tubes hanging down.  The FPAs seem to work OK though.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
Nice shot there, Earl. Is that a molded groove in the sidewall of the rear slick, or did your wheelwell do some carving there? Also looks like you have a full exhaust that travels under the rear axle? I assume it wasn't hooked up, but that's still the straightest shot out the back. My Dad has been doing that for years. It does look strange without header tubes hanging down.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

afret

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »
Nice shot there, Earl. Is that a molded groove in the sidewall of the rear slick, or did your wheelwell do some carving there? Also looks like you have a full exhaust that travels under the rear axle? I assume it wasn't hooked up, but that's still the straightest shot out the back. My Dad has been doing that for years. It does look strange without header tubes hanging down.

It's actually a fin or two of excess rubber stuck on the sidewall rather than a groove. 

You have sharp eyes.  The tailpipes do go under the rear end housing.  It makes it easy to remove and comes down in one piece.  I just stick a floor jack under the x-pipe area and roll the whole thing out the back.  In fact I just took it out to get ready for the center section swap.  We had it all hooked up at the track though since the mufflers are supposed to flow well and probably wasn't worth taking off.  It's heavy though.  I just weighed it and the exhaust is about 65lbs so the car would weigh 3258 without driver and exhaust.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:24:47 PM by afret »