Author Topic: EMC report  (Read 17305 times)

plovett

Re: EMC report
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2019, 07:33:09 AM »
I'll pile on, too.

Simply amazing!  I think this is the first time an FE has won in any category in this competition.   Congratulations, Blair!   

paulie

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »
I'll pile on, too.

Simply amazing!  I think this is the first time an FE has won in any category in this competition.   Congratulations, Blair!   

paulie
I do believe you are correct in that it is the 1st FE to win.
Bob Maag

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »
I’m still proudly trying to wrap my head around the fact that a 390 beat out a scrub big block. Through all of our lives the Hot Rod rags have beat it into everyone’s head that the scrub big block and hemi  were king.
‘Scuse me while I kiss the sky.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »
Great job to everyone who competed, love seeing our beloved FE's so well represented.

Mr. Blair, I have some questions looking at the tear-down photos if you don't mind.

What is going on with the oiling system in the lifter valley?  Additional "splash"...er geyser oiling for the lifters or just to throw people off?   :)

Also, the center main wasn't cross bolted.  Was this intentional or time constraint thing?

Again, great work!

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2019, 10:15:50 AM »
I had better jump in and say great job Blair and every one with a ford it just shows the old fe is the big dog when you rattle its chain.Little 289 also was great.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »
There is a bunch of pictures here of the teardown. Blair and gang pulling 'er apart and Adger measuring everything. After years of chatting with him online at Stock/SS forum and emails I met Adger for the first time at DragWeek where he was a tech official, great guy.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/iron-ford-390-fe-makes-596-hp-using-stock-heads/#020-2019-engine-masters-blair-patrick

447 Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »
Someone mentioned it earlier, but I am curious about the center cap as well.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »
Great job to everyone who competed, love seeing our beloved FE's so well represented.

Mr. Blair, I have some questions looking at the tear-down photos if you don't mind.

What is going on with the oiling system in the lifter valley?  Additional "splash"...er geyser oiling for the lifters or just to throw people off?   :)

Also, the center main wasn't cross bolted.  Was this intentional or time constraint thing?

Again, great work!

MeanMofakee

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »
All I can say is congratulations Blair, great job! There is a possible reason for that #3 cap not being crossbolted. Blair explained it somewhat to me when we were discussing a build he is going to do for me. I had purchased a set of pro-gram 2,3,4 caps and wanted to use them. Don't think it is any secret but I will let him decide if he wants to share. Once again congrats!

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2019, 02:28:12 PM »
Probably has something to do with #2 and #4 doing most of the work, and the #3 thrust being more difficult to install. Probably plenty strong with #2 and #4 in this case

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2019, 04:09:09 PM »
DITTO for all the accolades in this thread.  Great to see OLD IRON RULES  Congrats
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2019, 04:49:13 PM »
Awesome Win!

57 lima bean

« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
I'll pile on, too.

paulie                                           
                                                      Monkey pile on Blair

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »
In the tear down pictures I see 6 what appear to be brass hose barbs inside the lifters in the valley. I am probably showing my inexperience when I say I have no idea what they are.

And very nicely done.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »
In the tear down pictures I see 6 what appear to be brass hose barbs inside the lifters in the valley. I am probably showing my inexperience when I say I have no idea what they are.

Those are vents. They are tall enough to not let the excess oil in the valley drain back onto the cam and cause excess windage. They must be hollow to allow proper ventilation from downstairs.

Probably has something to do with #2 and #4 doing most of the work, and the #3 thrust being more difficult to install. Probably plenty strong with #2 and #4 in this case

That is correct. I just went ahead and cross-bolted #3 on mine just for the aesthetics. Just looks weird with two bolts.  :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:15:14 PM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86