Author Topic: The New Engine runs at higher temps 3/4 Gauge.  (Read 1789 times)

67428GT500

• View Profile
The New Engine runs at higher temps 3/4 Gauge.
« on: October 04, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »
I put 20 miles on the Shelby's new engine last night. The other engine had C6AE-R with about 11:1 compression.The Edelbrock  heads and JE inverted dome pistons have me at about 9.9:1 compression.  I have the Edelbrock water pump as I did before and a ford factory radiator with a heavy duty three core. I am running the factory fan, shroud and and clutch.
I have changed to Edelbrocks, but everything else pretty much remains the same.  The other engine seemed to be a constant at about 1/2 gauge or just below.  It seems to come up to temperature much faster as well  I have the high flow Mr. Gasket Thermostat that looks like the Robert Shaw. 
It is also supposed to be a high flow. I did accidently drop it during assembly. It didn't appear to have damage. Are is the Mr. Gasket a decent unit, or are they Chinesium garbage that tends to fail?

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: The New Engine runs at higher temps 3/4 Gauge.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
Could be the  thermostat, could just be a fresh and tighter engine building some heat.  Is it the same sending unit?  I have seen them vary widely

Also, are you sure it's fully purged of air?  I generally drill a hole in a thermostat now, but if you don't it can be a little bit of a pain to fill and do cam break in
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »
I take of the heater hose on the intake and fill to water come out
then you know there is no or a minimum of air left in there

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 06:05:35 PM »
Get a temporary mechanical gauge.  I know it's a Shelby, but just zip tie it in place for the moment, you may be concerned about an engine running normal temps.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 01:15:48 AM »
I would put both the old and new thermostats in a pan of water, heat it and see when they open. Or just put the new one in and measure the temp that it opens.
Frank

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 07:54:03 AM »
Hole in t-stat rim, jack up the car until the fronts just touch, fill via the heater hose. All 3 will purge air from the cooling system.

On edit: heater on full blast as well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:23:09 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 12:46:33 PM »
A few months ago I did what Drew suggested, and put a temporary aftermarket water temp gauge under the dash on the Galaxie after installing the 482.  I originally had been using the Ford temp gauge which on a '63 Galaxie is only calibrated C to H.  The temporary gauge revealed I was running normal temps (180-195). So I've gone back to the Ford gauge and quit worrying!   
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 03:38:34 PM »
The thermostat I bought is a Mr. Gasket, which is a Robert Shaw knock-off.  I remembered dropping it while installing it.  I heated a pan of water to 180 and as high as 220. It doesn't open completely. It's dragging.  I am going to pick up the EMP Thermostat at Summit. 
I also found an NOS Ford sending unit which I ordered from E-pay.  It seems the aftermarket temperature senders tend to be all over the board based on feedback from several Forums.
What I do know is that I have 45 miles on the car with no loss of coolant apparent in the radiator tank, but the radiator top tank starts to feel hot almost as quickly as I fire the engine.
I can only assume that the thermostat isn't regulating coolant flow as it should. The upper tank used to stay cool to the touch until it came up to operating temperature.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 03:44:16 PM »
To be honest, I just buy local Stants and drill a hole at 12:00, then I glue it in place to make sure it stays at 12:00 right at the edge of the casting

I haven't seen any benefit of any other kind.  As far as the senders, it may still be off, no two seem to read exactly the same
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch