Author Topic: EMC report  (Read 17315 times)

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Re: EMC report
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2019, 06:38:51 PM »

Those are vents. They are tall enough to not let the excess oil in the valley drain back onto the cam and cause excess windage. They must be hollow to allow proper ventilation from downstairs.

So I am assuming a hole or passage was machined into the block and it is a brass hose barb to a pipe thread (or similar) and then threaded into the hole.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2019, 09:39:20 PM »
I assume also that the oil is all directed back away from the crank and cam or maybe even an external drainback ahead of the flywheel?

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »
Or just puddling oil on the lifters

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2019, 01:06:30 AM »
It looks to me, that he is raising the oil level, to oil the lifters, in the valley. Then draining the right side, to the rear and the left side, to the front, to even the flow back, away from the crank.

It looks like he has siliconed the front drain back closed, on the right front, to that end.

I would also guess that the oil to the lifter galley has been blocked, to get more available flow to the crank.
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2019, 06:37:46 AM »
The purpose of the standpipes is to keep the oil off the cam/crankshaft.   The drain at the front of the block is open (oil drains to the timing set) and the drain at the rear of the block is open, which allows the oil to drain and stay off the rotating assembly.

On SBF's, the holes are in the center of the valley and are correctly sized for a 1/4" NPT.   Standpipes are sold OTC for such and you just run a tap through the holes.   On an FE, the holes are much larger, but you can still tap the hole and use a pipe nipple or hose barb.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2019, 10:36:45 AM »
The purpose of the standpipes is to keep the oil off the cam/crankshaft.   The drain at the front of the block is open (oil drains to the timing set) and the drain at the rear of the block is open, which allows the oil to drain and stay off the rotating assembly.

On SBF's, the holes are in the center of the valley and are correctly sized for a 1/4" NPT.   Standpipes are sold OTC for such and you just run a tap through the holes.   On an FE, the holes are much larger, but you can still tap the hole and use a pipe nipple or hose barb.

Brent and Jared, thanks for the explanations. Been a while since I had my engine open and I didn't remember the holes being there. What applications call for this treatment? Does a street engine benefit or just a race engine (not that I plan to dismantle mine to make the mods)?
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2019, 02:25:31 PM »
As I said, he has blocked off the return hole on the right side, channeling the oil return, to the rear. giving a flow directly across the lifters on it's return path.

The left side flows forward, in the same way. Because of that, I see no reason to supply pressurized oil to the lifters with a solid roller cam. I don't know if he did but, I would then block the pressurized oil to the lifters, as it isn't needed and eliminates that oil bleed off.
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2019, 02:58:51 PM »
Frank, the return hole is right in the front of the block.  You can see the timing set through the hole.

The oil will flow whichever way gravity makes it flow.  The dyno isn’t moving so you don’t have normal acceleration forces pushing it one way or the other.

The standpipes just insure the majority of the oil doesn’t drain onto the rotating assembly.  The oil will basically pool until it gets high enough to go out the front drain or the rear drain. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports