Author Topic: Putting A Little Pep In My 390's Step  (Read 22642 times)

XR7

• View Profile
Re: Putting A Little Pep In My 390's Step
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2023, 02:02:59 PM »
Sorry for your loss... looks like you went above and beyond on the build, very meticulous and detailed. You did a good job for sure. I guess it is a crap shoot on blocks, you just never know even with good sonic numbers. I was curious what paint you used on the tunnel wedge, it looks good. Hard to find decent "aluminum" paint, that has the right "sheen" to it. Seems it is either too dull or too shiny and/or the wrong color. I like cast-blast for iron, but the aluma-blast just doesn't look as good to me. I have tried a few other brands/colors of aluminum, but nothing I like.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2023, 09:09:06 PM »
Thanks, Thor. The paint is Duplicolor cast coat aluminum # DE1650. I was using Rustoleum "professional" aluminum enamel before, but it started getting very inconsistent. One can would be a nice aluminum color and the next would look like a real bright silver like the fake chrome spray paint. I kept going back to the store to get some more, but cans were more "chrome" than aluminum, so I gave up on that color. This was the first I've used this color, but it isn't too bad looking.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2023, 09:49:14 AM »
We use the same Duplicolor often.  I like the results when I stand back a bit and dry spray "fog" it on from a distance of 18" or so.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2023, 06:06:32 AM »
Bummer. With 4 sleeves already are you going to sleeve this hole?
Maybe hard block?

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2023, 10:31:15 PM »
Bummer. With 4 sleeves already are you going to sleeve this hole?
Maybe hard block?

I'm weighing options at the moment. Whichever way I decide, I don't think it'll need hard block.
Jared

ROBSREDFORD

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2024, 03:42:45 PM »
On page 8 you said you never felt it nose over…. FE engines never do…do they? 😀 My 390 seems to run clean off the end of the camshaft and is still pulling… seriously no inside paint anymore.  I’m building a HP diesel and was considering it… you must not like what u saw… elaborate plz

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2024, 08:42:53 AM »
Thanks, Thor. The paint is Duplicolor cast coat aluminum # DE1650. I was using Rustoleum "professional" aluminum enamel before, but it started getting very inconsistent. One can would be a nice aluminum color and the next would look like a real bright silver like the fake chrome spray paint. I kept going back to the store to get some more, but cans were more "chrome" than aluminum, so I gave up on that color. This was the first I've used this color, but it isn't too bad looking.

Ever tried this? I've always used the cast-blast for cast iron look and alumi-blast for intake manifolds.
https://www.seymourpaint.com/product/ca16-55-seymour-alumi-blast-specialty-coating-with-aluminum-paste-inside-the-can-12-oz/
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2024, 12:30:15 PM »
seriously no inside paint anymore.  I’m building a HP diesel and was considering it… you must not like what u saw… elaborate plz

I saw some starting to come off in the oil pan when it came off. I did try to scuff the pan some before applying it and I did cure it afterward. The other engine parts looked fine yet, just the oil pan. It was a zinc plated Milodon pan. Sandblasting would be best if doing it again. Oh well.

Mike, yes I've used it before. I don't know if I had a couple bum cans or not, but I was noticing some fine "texture" particles coming out with the paint a d resulted in a slightly bumpy finish. I didn't quit care for it.

Jared