Author Topic: 79 Foxbody Mustang FE 445  (Read 25318 times)

MrRupp

• View Profile
Re: 79 Foxbody Mustang FE 445
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »
Well we finally got the Trick Flow track heat intake manifold installed on the 445. Took the car to the track yesterday and we really weren't sure how the intake would change things. We did jet the car up, from 87s square to 94s. When we were running the Holley Street Dominator we had 92s for jetting and seemed about right the plugs look really good. We don't have an 02 sensor so we have to do it the old fashion way by reading the plugs. When we had the Cobra Jet intake on we had lots of low end and not so much on the top end. The Dominator intake was pretty good all the way through the RPM range. Now the Trick Flow intake seems to give plenty of low end. We Foot brake launch at 3000 which is a little low for our cam, and we were getting some wheel spin coming out of the hole. the top end was great the car pulled hard all the way through the traps. We're pretty sure we founds some horse power now we just need to figure how to get it to the ground. The best run out of 3 was 11.77 @ 114 which is off our best by 2 tenths, but we're sure there's more to be found. Stay tuned. Clint

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »
Took the Mustang to the track last Wednesday to do some more testing and it is probably the last time we will run it this race season. It ran pretty good, but my buddy that was running the car said he could feel something breaking down on the top end. We got 4 runs in and the best was 11.66@ 115mph. We only had 1 run that we won't talk about, all the rest were with in a tenth of each other. One racer challenge us to a grudge race so we said sure. It was a 64 Ford F-100 short bed 2wd with a stroke 351w with efi. It runs consistent low 12s, so realistically we should clean his clock. He got us out of the hole about a half car, but we ran him down at the other to win the race. We thought that's a good note to end the season on. We did have few racer come over to the car and could not believe we running an FE. They were very impressed and amazed on how well it fits and runs. Well that's it for this year, hopefully will be faster next so year I can post some impressive numbers. We do have some thing were going change on the car, that hopefully will make her faster or not. Clint

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2020, 02:52:57 PM »
Very nice glad you had a good year

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2020, 07:17:43 AM »
 X2, nothing broke.
No problems at the same rpm but in lower gears? Do you have a data logger?
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »
No we don't have a data logger wish we did, so we have to do it old school. It does it when we burn out, but it come out of the hole really strong and we can't feel any miss. It seem like it only does it in the higher rpm, like right when we shift, and when we go through the lights. We kinda think were running out of gas, or maybe a plug breaking down. Will find it this winter I hope. The plus to this season was we drove the car off and on the trailer every race and it was with it's own power. Hopefully next year we will post some time that will be impressive, I no this year was pretty boring. I believe the car has low elevens or maybe a high tens we just got find the right combination. Until next year. Clint

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2021, 05:23:27 PM »
Well it's back to work on the Mustang, hopefully will be a little faster this year. Track opens the second week in April, with a two day test and tune. So that gives us around a month and a half to get the car ready. First thing we are doing is upgrading the headers. We're going from 1 3/4 to 2" primaries with 3 1/2 collectors. The other major thing is we want to go with a different torque converter. The one we have now stalls right at 2800 RPM, but the cam we have starts to make power around 3500 RPM. We have a couple of places around here that will build us a converter to work with our combination, all it takes is money. Well that's it for now, I hope everybody stay healthy.Clint

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 06:48:30 PM »
I hope to see you down there at some point this summer! We bought a car as a roller and have an engine in the works, I'd really like it to be on the track this summer!
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2021, 01:01:39 PM »
That sounds great, it's always good to see another FE powered race car. We are very out numbered. People can't believe we got an FE to fit in a Foxbody Mustang, and then when make an 11.5 N/A run. They really take notice. Well mbrunson427 hope to see you this summer tearing up the track. Clint

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »
Here's a quick update on the old 79 Foxbody. We finally received the new headers from RCI. They did a fantastic job. We're going get them fitted this weekend, and then send them out to Jet-hot and have them ceramic coated. I been reading some of the old threads, about how much advance we need to run for timing. The way it looks we are not running enough total timing at all. Our initial timing now is 16 and 33 total at 2800 RPM. The heads we are running are C4AE-G. They are ported with 2.125 intakes and 1.71 exhaust. So what I been reading in the threads is cast iron ford heads like more timing. I know in the old days when we did a tune up here in Colorado we always advanced the initial timing 4 to 6 degree's more then what the factory wanted. We don't have access to a dyno, will have to play with it at the track, which opens this weekend. Well that's it for now. Clint

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2021, 10:20:40 PM »
I'll bet you will end up with 38-40 total...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2021, 07:42:02 AM »
Yep, or more.

My 352 and a few Tunnel Ports I've done liked 42 total. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2021, 12:18:24 PM »
I was thinking we need to be at least 36, but you guy's are thinking more like 38 to 40? Another thing were not sure about is if we have the total advance coming in at the right rpm. It's a never ending quest to go faster. Thanks for all your help it's greatly appreciated. Clint

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2021, 12:35:42 PM »
I was thinking we need to be at least 36, but you guy's are thinking more like 38 to 40? Another thing were not sure about is if we have the total advance coming in at the right rpm. It's a never ending quest to go faster. Thanks for all your help it's greatly appreciated. Clint

In a bracket car, I lock the timing out.  You're either idling or at WOT, there doesn't need to be a curve per se. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2021, 07:59:16 PM »
What is it when you pay $1200.00 for custom fit headers and they don't fit. They fit good as long as we don't use the oil pan. Will make them fit, isn't that why you have a welder and a torch? Clint

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2021, 08:59:54 PM »
Clint, we're trucking right along with our 68 Mustang drag car. Waiting on trans. Going to start wiring the car next week. Still hope to see you out sometime this summer!
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com