Author Topic: '62 Galaxie Progress Report  (Read 30960 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: '62 Galaxie Progress Report
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2020, 08:09:03 AM »
Did your car have the rear seat belt reinforcements welded on the floorpan from the factory?  My Dallas-built '63 did not. 

This car was also built in Dallas, and no it doesn't. I have Rotunda belts for front/rear and I've been scratching my head about how to do the rears. The car already had a front set of belts so I stole all the hardware from the existing set, the front set should be super quick.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2020, 02:27:06 PM »
This weekend we messed with the steering column. The Borgeson power steering box requires that the column be shortened roughly 2-3/4" (2.675" to be exact). I was in a hurry and didn't get a picture of it all put back together. This column isn't the easiest to mount a gauge to, so I'm going to have the neighbor machine an aluminum piece that will fit around the multiple tubes and will bolt together in two halves around the column. I used the rear speaker grille to test out some interior spray paint I had mixed, looks like the guy did a pretty solid job!

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2020, 02:31:15 PM »
Mike, question about fitment for the Borgeson steering box. I was told by Borgeson the box would not fit a '60 Starliner with shorty headers, what say you?

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2020, 04:58:27 PM »
Mike, question about fitment for the Borgeson steering box. I was told by Borgeson the box would not fit a '60 Starliner with shorty headers, what say you?

I found this picture of the '60....the hole in the firewall and the 3 holes in the frame for the steering box all look consistent with my '62. I'd see no reason why it wouldn't work? There could be some funky things going on with the '60 steering column, but as you can see, there's customization that has to happen anyhow.

My setup is more involved than what I see most people do, because I think 95% of people choose to avoid the rag joint. It would have been quite a bit simpler to avoid it and just run a simple rod coupling, but I don't tend to make things easy on myself.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2020, 11:03:26 PM »
Can't wait to see this one done! Looking really nice!

allrightmike

• View Profile
Re: '62 Galaxie Progress Report Borgeson steering box
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2020, 09:13:53 AM »
Thanks for the info Mike. My Starliner had factory power steering without a rag joint. The '60 wagon parts car I had came with manual steering and a rag joint! I am using the wagon column and rag joint. I may pursue this Borgeson setup. Could angle mill the shorty header at the mounting surface for more clearance if necessary. A little stock removal would result in considerable movement at the outlet end.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2020, 11:12:40 AM »
I have seen plenty of guys run the borgeson with the long tube exhaust manifolds, that's what I'll be doing. I would figure that if the long tubes would work, that the shorties would be just fine?
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

allrightmike

• View Profile
Re: '62 Galaxie Progress Report RE Borgeson
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2020, 11:50:43 AM »
Seems logical to me.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2020, 03:51:46 PM »
I received the front seat from the upholstery shop so now it's time to put the interior together. Back seat was nice enough that it didn't need to be redone. This weekend I fixed up the package tray, it was a little worn from sun. I got half way done installing the rear seat belts and realized that I didn't have enough of the hooks so I'm kind of stuck waiting on those to come from Pennsylvania.

The carpet you see is actually NOS carpeting. I got SUPER lucky finding it. My dad stopped by and looked at it, he immediately advised that I rip the heater core out of the car and get a nice new one in it so I don't ruin my fancy carpet. So now I'm waiting on the heater core to ship in from New York too. The carpet was folded so you can see the crease in the middle of it, I'm hoping it relaxes and the seem goes away.

There's an exposed part of the carpet underneath the front seat. You can't really see it unless you are looking for it once the front seat is in. Being that I have a few days waiting on stuff I think I may paint it black or at least slide something underneath the carpeting that is black so you don't see the silver sound deadening foil.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mike7570

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2020, 05:09:00 PM »
If the carpet is easily removable set it out in the sun to warm it up and relax the backing, smooth it out as you put it back in to remove the crease marks.
If they are stubborn a wall paper steamer would help.  The marks may be slightly visible for a while but they should go away as long as the backing wasn't heavily distorted by the folding.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »
Really pretty interior.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2020, 07:15:45 AM »
Beautiful interior, for a beautiful car. My grandparents bought a '62 4dr new off the lot. After many years of use, they gave it to my parents, and that's the car that my Mom drove while I was growing up. I still have all the literature and dealer pamphlets, still in their original mailing packages. The stuff still has crisp colors and looks like new. It'd take me a day or 2...or 3, but if you want them, you can have them. Let me know. They would look nice, displayed in your car.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2020, 08:10:58 AM »
Mike, I just replaced the carpet in my '63 Fastback with a new set from ACC which was supplied by SMS.  The exposed areas won't show and your NOS carpet was cut the same as the original set on my Dallas-built car.  Mine came rolled up and quickly relaxed when I laid it out flat for a day or so. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2020, 08:17:08 AM »
Beautiful interior, for a beautiful car. My grandparents bought a '62 4dr new off the lot. After many years of use, they gave it to my parents, and that's the car that my Mom drove while I was growing up. I still have all the literature and dealer pamphlets, still in their original mailing packages. The stuff still has crisp colors and looks like new. It'd take me a day or 2...or 3, but if you want them, you can have them. Let me know. They would look nice, displayed in your car.

Doug, that would be awesome! I have collected a bit of '62 literature, magazine articles and such. I have the original sales receipt for the car and some maintenance paperwork from the dealer. Was going to somehow put all that stuff in the trunk. Get a hold of me via PM or email (my email is just my mbrunson427 @ gmail), I'll pay you for everything you've got.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »

...I'll pay you for everything you've got.

No you wont  :)
I'll send you a PM. You'll like the dealer literature. It literally looks like it just came in the mail. It'll look perfect in your car.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe