Author Topic: '62 Galaxie Progress Report  (Read 30970 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: '62 Galaxie Progress Report
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2020, 08:59:03 AM »
Looking good!
Good to hear on SMS, I'm am most likely going to have to go through them for some 63 Custom 300 upholstery that I can't seem to find elsewhere.

I was told by a Galaxie restorer to make the order from them when you start restoring your car and maybe they'll be there by the time you're finishing. These ones took close to a year. The door panels, seat covers, and head liner for our '60 Starliner have been ordered for 1-1/2 years now.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
Ahhh jeez. Thanks for the info!

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2020, 09:15:00 AM »
Ahhh jeez. Thanks for the info!

Greg, I sent you a message about SMS, they are having a sale that you may want to take advantage of.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
Yes thank you I did receive that email this morning. I guess that will force me to go ahead and make a decision. Thanks!

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2020, 08:30:17 AM »
Mike, I looked on the SMS website and FB page and didn't see any reference to a sale. 

They sent me samples some time back and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on seat matl. and door panels.  They even identified the seat cloth on my '63 fastback as being from the '64 model year.  This was not too surprising as my car was built in the last few weeks of '63 production.  Their stuff is definitely first-rate. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2020, 08:37:14 AM »
Got it Mike, thanks.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
Yes Mike, my thanks also.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »
Well guys, I think I'm finally at the "bolt things back on" phase.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2020, 12:38:53 PM »
Another little side project. The factory steering column in a '62 500 car has no good mounting method for a tach. I've seen a few guys drill holes in the top of the dash (which I didn't want to do) and I've seen some other hold them on with a big magnet to the top of the dash. We drew up a sketch that captures all of the random tubes in a two piece bracket, neighbor Joe machined it. I'll end up painting the column and bracket so they all match and hopefully the bracket hides.

Up next is a restoration of the original steering wheel. It was in the trunk with the car. Has a couple cracks. I have the epoxy for it, just need to gain momentum again.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2020, 10:43:28 PM »
Looks great.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2020, 03:26:14 PM »
Nice bracket! You can make me a few next!  ;)
Bob Maag

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2020, 09:11:36 AM »
Nice bracket! You can make me a few next!  ;)

Thanks! I am planning on having Joe make a batch of these brackets. I want to make sure that it fits right first. We made a version 2.0 because this one was sitting too close the the air pull knob, I'm going to try the new one out tonight.

One thing I'm apprehensive about is we made this bracket to work with my Stewart Warner tach mount and I'm not sure how other tach mounts compare. I want to do a little R&D on other tachs first and see if I can't make the bracket fairly universal.

Also..... I tried this on our column shift column, won't work. It has to sit so far down on the column that it runs the tach right into the dash. I think it would probably work for an auto car but we don't have any of those columns in the barn.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
Well, the only thing holding me back now from getting the interior back together is the fuel lines....odd statement right? But the body has to come off the frame to get the fuel lines in. I've been dreading doing this but it needs to be done. I bought (2) 3/8" lines and I'm going to run them in parallel. My thought is if I ever switch over to Sniper fuel injection I can run one as supply and the other return. For right now I'll Y them together and have the equivalent of a 1/2" line.

Pulled the instrument cluster apart so I could work on the heater trim panel for the overdrive switch. Repainted everything while it was apart, took the opportunity to install new bulbs as well.

Floor is all lined with sound deadener now. The material came from Stock Interiors, I didn't like how dynamat had their branding stamped on the material. This stuff seems a little more "normal".
Was real happy with how the material laid down. Here's where I got it:
https://www.stockinteriors.com/STPSilver.asp?Itemid=22658

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2020, 07:57:21 AM »
Mike, looking great. I love that Emberglo color on the '62s.  And thanks for the link to Stock Interiors.  Did your car have the rear seat belt reinforcements welded on the floorpan from the factory?  My Dallas-built '63 did not.  And yes, the body needs to be lifted to install those fuel lines.