Author Topic: '62 Galaxie Progress Report  (Read 30780 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: '62 Galaxie Progress Report
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
Interesting - Thanks for that!
I was thinking of making up a set of tools with spring loaded shanks, maybe along these lines:

That would be neat! I think that whole gauge panel took about a 1/4" out of the stick. Much less than I had expected quite honestly. I bought (3) 6" sticks not knowing how fast they would go away.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 09:53:49 AM »
This weekend we pulled the '60 Starliner out of the shop and took it down to the media blaster. After that it will go to a metal shop and I'm expecting it'll be there for over a year. Getting the Starliner out allowed me to pull my '62 in and get cranking on it. I have a few home projects that need to get done first, but I'm hoping within the next couple months I can make a good step forward on it.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »
The engine is coming together in Tennessee. 428CJ block, 4.25" crank. Will receive a set of Blair's "EMC" cnc ported C4AE-G heads and an Edelbrock RPM intake. Should be plenty of engine to pull the car around.

I think this means I better get going on the car. Between the '62, the Starliner, selling a '66 Fairlane, trying to get the Cougar back on the road, and a couple of my buddies 80's dirt bikes.......the winter/spring is getting pretty busy  :o

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 10:25:44 AM »
This weekend we messed with the steering column. The Borgeson power steering box requires that the column be shortened roughly 2-3/4" (2.675" to be exact). I was in a hurry and didn't get a picture of it all put back together. This column isn't the easiest to mount a gauge to, so I'm going to have the neighbor machine an aluminum piece that will fit around the multiple tubes and will bolt together in two halves around the column. I used the rear speaker grille to test out some interior spray paint I had mixed, looks like the guy did a pretty solid job!

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 12:29:04 PM »
Looks great!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »

Is the purpose of this steering box so you can do away with the power steering ram cylinder?

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2020, 02:01:52 PM »
Yes. I would love to do away with the wonky ram. However, it can't be used on FE Mustangs with headers.  Of course, I wouldn't cut up the steering column on my Shelby.
The older Bendix units leave a lot to be desired being they float all over the place.
                                                                                                                     -Keith

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »
I don't believe on the Mustang units that cutting the steering shaft is a requirement, but it does look like cutting back the column tube is. Agreed, wouldn't do that to a Shelby car.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »
You may be right on the Mustang. They seem to work great on the small block cars except for certain header combinations.

-Keith

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2020, 07:19:21 PM »
Great work on the gauge panel. I had a friend do this when I was apprentice. From memory he just used wooden dowels & maybe some abrasive paste. I think it turned out pretty good but it was over 35 years ago...…...

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2020, 03:36:55 PM »
Great work on the gauge panel. I had a friend do this when I was apprentice. From memory he just used wooden dowels & maybe some abrasive paste. I think it turned out pretty good but it was over 35 years ago...…...

Thank you! I have had a couple '62 guys reach out to me about making them one, but with the time involved, I don't think it's worth it to be making/selling them. The only way it would ever be worth it is a CNC operation as Bill described above.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2020, 07:56:36 PM »
I need someone that can do the machine turning on a pistol barrel for me. That looks outstanding! 
                                                 -Keith

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
I've got two more lower control arm bolts and the Galaxie will be as far pulled apart as I plan to take it. Going to spend my week scrubbing parts and painting the suspension components now.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2020, 05:56:21 PM »
Got mail today! SMS Auto Fabrics did them. For those of you waiting on anything from them...I promise they do deliver eventually, and the quality is top notch! I didn't need the back seat done, only front. I compared them and the set they made is a dead match to the rear.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
Looking good!
Good to hear on SMS, I'm am most likely going to have to go through them for some 63 Custom 300 upholstery that I can't seem to find elsewhere.