Author Topic: Msd  (Read 9983 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Msd
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »
Yeah heo. I’m lazy so I stock only a few things.
Thus “tap magic” is the oil that gets used on everything and dielectric grease gets used on gaskets and orings

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 07:30:35 PM »
I wasn’t going to say anything, but since you started it, DITTO. Points triggering an MSD box. I’ve been doing it for decades. Simple, clean, reliable, and the points last virtually forever with this set-up. And if the box goes puke ( which hardly EVER happens, it’s always the triggering decide that barfs) you move two wires and you are back in business.

I used points to trigger my old MSD Blaster box for over 20 years. The very low voltage also made them last forever. I also have them, along with the conventional ignition system, in my Galaxie, and it starts easier than any vehicle I have ever seen. However, having said that, points don't cut it once you get to 6000 RPMs. In todays engines that will run 6500-7500+ RPMs, you need a better alternative.

Wire breakage is the only factor "I" have seen in magnetic pickup failure in the 40+ years I have been using them.
   Randy

I'm not the only one who has had issues with a pickup that "checked" good with a basic resistance test. I won't go into details, but most on here might recall that I've double, triple and quadruple checked every component in my system, including using multiple backups on boxes, direct wiring to battery, isolated wiring etc etc etc. My current pickup checks good, but it's showing the same signs of imminent failure that the others have done. My first one lasted about 20 years, but that has all changed since the buyout.
6000. Really....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:33:47 PM by falcongeorge »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 09:36:13 PM »
6000. Really....

With a single point system, and todays cheap points, yes. You could get more with a dual point system or an old, strong set of points. I guess you chose to ignore the next sentence though? I'm pretty old school when it comes to my vehicles, but I'm not going to argue with someone that thinks points are better in a high RPM, high horsepower scenario.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FElony

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »
6000. Really....

With a single point system, and todays cheap points, yes. You could get more with a dual point system or an old, strong set of points. I guess you chose to ignore the next sentence though? I'm pretty old school when it comes to my vehicles, but I'm not going to argue with someone that thinks points are better in a high RPM, high horsepower scenario.

The trick here is to pay close attention to the rating in ounces of the points that pop up on eBay. You really can find good quality stuff if you look closely.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 10:58:48 PM »
Back about a zillion years, when I was running points, I was also a scuba diver/instructor. Many new scuba items came with scraps of wet-suit material as packing. I found it worthwhile to wedge a piece of the neoprene foam wet-suit material behind the points and next to the diz body. Absolutely stopped the points from floating at extended RPM. A substitute for the WS material could probably be found if one were to look.

KS

FElony

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 11:07:36 PM »
Back about a zillion years, when I was running points, I was also a scuba diver/instructor. Many new scuba items came with scraps of wet-suit material as packing. I found it worthwhile to wedge a piece of the neoprene foam wet-suit material behind the points and next to the diz body. Absolutely stopped the points from floating at extended RPM. A substitute for the WS material could probably be found if one were to look.

KS

Rubber band?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »
It took a wad of WS material at least 3/8-1/2 inch to fill in between the points arm and the diz body. I believe you'd play hob trying to do it with a wad of rubber band. There's all kinds of spongy stuff that might work.

KS

FElony

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 12:03:34 AM »
It took a wad of WS material at least 3/8-1/2 inch to fill in between the points arm and the diz body. I believe you'd play hob trying to do it with a wad of rubber band. There's all kinds of spongy stuff that might work.

KS

Valve cover gasket?

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 02:23:33 PM »

KS

Rubber band?
I'm just really relieved to know that I havent been shifting my truck at 7200, and the tach is reading 1200 rpm high. I WAS kinda worried about the hypers, I can relax and breath easy now..it's wonderful the info you can learn on the internet.... ::)
If, BIG if, you can manage to float a set of 32oz points, a short piece of 5/16 vacuum hose works well, And you might even have it laying around. But you will be north of 8000 by that time, I presume if you are spinning an FE north of 8k, you probably have bigger concerns than point float.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
FElony, if you find that you have an application that you can't get the good guy 32oz point set for, don't reach for that Guanzou made module just yet.
If you take a good look at most old point sets, there are actually two separate springs there. The copper one is riveted on, but the heavier metal one just hooks through a rectangular hole in the point arm on one end, and is held on by the nut on the other. You can take two of these point sets, and take the main spring from one, and add it to the other point set. I just did this with two echlin point sets for a small block single point for my Cleveland, and ran it to 7500 in my buddies distributor machine. Since I'll be shifting it below that, I didn't bother running it to point bounce, there was no reason to.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:54:13 PM by falcongeorge »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »
So dad called today and new pickup is here. Do you have to take the whole distributor apart
or can you just take upper plate off.

FElony

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
FElony, if you find that you have an application that you can't get the good guy 32oz point set for, don't reach for that Guanzou made module just yet.
If you take a good look at most old point sets, there are actually two separate springs there. The copper one is riveted on, but the heavier metal one just hooks through a rectangular hole in the point arm on one end, and is held on by the nut on the other. You can take two of these point sets, and take the main spring from one, and add it to the other point set. I just did this with two echlin point sets for a small block single point for my Cleveland, and ran it to 7500 in my buddies distributor machine. Since I'll be shifting it below that, I didn't bother running it to point bounce, there was no reason to.

Nifty, however, Accel still makes 32 oz Ford-specific points. You would know this if you did your homework like I told you to do.  https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/tune_up_kits/parts/110228

Once again, plebes, points rule. No muss, no fuss.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2018, 08:45:49 PM »
Well, to be honest, I knew I could still get them, but I would have had to order them from Summit,and I am in Canada, it takes awhile to get them, and I wanted to test it to see if I had the centrifugal where I wanted it,and I was impatient, so I took the spring off the points that were in the sb distributor,and added it to a set of practically new echlin points that were in an FE distributor I had picked up to use to drive the oil pump/plug the hole in my FE when I convert it to a cam driven accel dual point. I figured since they were there, and I was just going to cut the top off it anyway, I may as well use them. I was in a rush to get the distributor tested, and well...besides, I am a cheap bastard. ;) ;D

Nifty, however, Accel still makes 32 oz Ford-specific points. You would know this if you did your homework like I told you to do.  https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/tune_up_kits/parts/110228

Once again, plebes, points rule. No muss, no fuss.

FElony

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2018, 09:00:06 PM »
Well, to be honest, I knew I could still get them, but I would have had to order them from Summit...

Bull cock on rye. You can get them straight from Holley or any number of eBay vendors.

...and I am in Canada...

That explains a lot. Also, let me change that to moose cock on rye.

it takes awhile to get them, and I wanted to test it to see if I had the centrifugal where I wanted it,and I was impatient, so I took the spring off the points that were in the sb distributor,and added it to a set of practically new echlin points that were in an FE distributor I had picked up to use to drive the oil pump/plug the hole in my FE when I convert it to a cam driven accel dual point. I figured since they were there, and I was just going to cut the top off it anyway, I may as well use them. I was in a rush to get the distributor tested, and well...

Blah blah blah (hip waders) blah bla

besides, I am a bastard.  ;D  :-[

Fixed that for you.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »
I am of Scottish heritage, so rather than moose cock, it should probably be sheep bollocks...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:43:35 PM by falcongeorge »