Author Topic: Msd  (Read 10038 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Msd
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 12:15:22 PM »
I run the $48 brand new duraspark distributors from rock auto on everything.
My truck had a duraspark box and my car has an msd box. No issues.

I have a couple old msd boxes I bought cheap. I’d rather have them rebuilt than buy new.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 02:04:03 PM »
I bought a bunch of new Unilites cheap, maybe 25 years ago with that two
piece cap where the wires enter straight from the top. unfortunately
they are for Cleveland and 429/460

Those aren't unilites, those are early Mallory YC distributors.  I ran one for years til it finally went haywire and I switched to a YL dual point(which I put the unilite in).  Mine are all tach drive.  They look like Magento's,  that is what I liked about them.

Here is google pic:
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »
Isn't YL point distributors? mine have the optic eye..i almost sure
there is some Unilite text somewere on them or in the instructions
must check that

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
did anyone see my question about bowl gaskets on quick fuel carbs, are they the same as regular holley bowls
cause they are a different shape.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
They are different but you can use Holley gaskets.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 07:40:44 PM »
Thanks Drew are they just different for the way they make them for the FE or quick fuel in general.
If it’s in general then I guess I can get them from a speed shop, but if not maybe I have to get them from Barry or someone who sells the FE carbs. Yes/No?

afret

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
QF gaskets will work on Holley.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:34:23 AM by afret »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »
If you use the brown ones, I like to slather them down in silicone based grease. They will come off cleanly for years.

I often use those or black gaskets for vintage carbs as I find the blue to be an eyesore on a classic carb.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 07:15:26 AM »
Thanks Drew

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »
If you use the brown ones, I like to slather them down in silicone based grease. They will come off cleanly for years.

I often use those or black gaskets for vintage carbs as I find the blue to be an eyesore on a classic carb.

I agree with the cosmetics.  Chapstick works really well on those brown gaskets to prevent sticking....the black ones will weld themselves into place for eternity if you don't put something on them.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »
I believe this is my cue to remind everyone that old-fangled points rule. Absolutely. No doubt about it. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
I wasn’t going to say anything, but since you started it, DITTO. Points triggering an MSD box. I’ve been doing it for decades. Simple, clean, reliable, and the points last virtually forever with this set-up. And if the box goes puke ( which hardly EVER happens, it’s always the triggering decide that barfs) you move two wires and you are back in business.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
  The MSD magnet is a bit different than a Duraspark . It (to me) has a stronger magnet , possibly rare earth material.  All that is important is the fact that it triggers the box to fire which a Duraspark dist does perfectly. I have also used Chrysler style magnetic pickups ( in Ford distributors) that trigger an MSD perfectly. The magnetic pulse is all that is required. Wire breakage is the only factor "I" have seen in magnetic pickup failure in the 40+ years I have been using them.
   Randy

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 11:55:26 AM »
I wasn’t going to say anything, but since you started it, DITTO. Points triggering an MSD box. I’ve been doing it for decades. Simple, clean, reliable, and the points last virtually forever with this set-up. And if the box goes puke ( which hardly EVER happens, it’s always the triggering decide that barfs) you move two wires and you are back in business.

I used points to trigger my old MSD Blaster box for over 20 years. The very low voltage also made them last forever. I also have them, along with the conventional ignition system, in my Galaxie, and it starts easier than any vehicle I have ever seen. However, having said that, points don't cut it once you get to 6000 RPMs. In todays engines that will run 6500-7500+ RPMs, you need a better alternative.

Wire breakage is the only factor "I" have seen in magnetic pickup failure in the 40+ years I have been using them.
   Randy

I'm not the only one who has had issues with a pickup that "checked" good with a basic resistance test. I won't go into details, but most on here might recall that I've double, triple and quadruple checked every component in my system, including using multiple backups on boxes, direct wiring to battery, isolated wiring etc etc etc. My current pickup checks good, but it's showing the same signs of imminent failure that the others have done. My first one lasted about 20 years, but that has all changed since the buyout.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:59:58 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »

I have the wagon wired as such, using spade connectors in such a fashion all I have to do is unplug the MSD, swap a few around and the Unilite will run the engine alone.

Yes, the weak springs on points cause more issues than anything.  Even with 6AL, it will get scatter brained if the points bounce.  With the Unilite and 6AL on the blower car, it starts from a dead cold and idles perfect instantly.  It would never do that with just the points.  You had to warm it up some.
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »

The same stuff the wife use to shine up her Latex clothes?......Asking for a friend ;D
It worked perfect to get the sparkplug boots on
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 03:14:04 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it