Author Topic: Msd  (Read 10040 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Msd
« on: October 08, 2018, 07:48:06 AM »
8594 distributor is the pickup coil a part that can be gotten at a regular parts store or
would you get it from MSD

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Msd
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 12:10:56 PM »
Joe, while I haven't checked specifically, I'm pretty sure that Chris said it was basically a Ford Duraspark pickup.
I'm curious if you had one go bad? Mine just started to go bad again. Took the car out last week and it started to cut out on me. I could see it in the tach at first while running down the highway, then worse when I was running through the gears. That's the way its started to go bad every time, and within a week or 2 it just completely gives out. This is the FOURTH one in 3 years! Those were all MSD pickups, so if it is the same as a Duraspark, I'm going to try a different one.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
With all the trouble I get for running a Unilite conversion in two of my vehicles, I sure do see a LOT of MSD failures.
Larry

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 12:46:02 PM »
My racing buddy had the pickup go bad a few years ago at the track in a MSD distributor, but for a 351W. We asked around and found another racer with a spare Ford Motorcraft replacement pickup. We also picked up a replacement pickup for a Ford Duraspark at the local NAPA too. What we found ( going by memory here ) was that, although the pickup is basically the same, the size of the two holes though them ( through the magnet ) and the way the mounting screws go into the distributor body are not the same, and so we weren't able to directly put the Motorcraft pickup in the MSD distributor. I'd have to compare side by side again to remember the details. Someone who is handy could maybe adapt the Duraspark pickup to the MSD. MSD does sell a replacement pickup, you should be able to order from Summit, Jegs, etc. I'm sure some local parts stores that sell MSD products can get one too, but I doubt many carry one on hand. I will add, like Doug's experience, I've been reading about quite a few people with MSD distributor pickup failures the last couple years, although in my friends case he had been wiring on some new electrical devices right before that race weekend, and he may have been responsible for his failure, we don't know for sure.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
Seems it is all more of a recent issue, then stuff from 20 yrs back.  Kinda like everything else electronic these days.  The old it is, the better chance it is going to survive the test of time.
Larry

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »
Seems it is all more of a recent issue, then stuff from 20 yrs back.
Like kinda when a certain Holley buys the MSD group in 2015 IIRC?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
So what happened to me is car was running good and i let my dad make a pass which was the first of the day although I
took the car for a ride to warm it up and it seemed like it was running good. First pass since 1995 so burnout wasnt great and he spun the tires, it finally hooked up and he came back to the pits shut it off and we went over what happened with the burnout and stuff. so about half hour later they called my class so I hopped in the car to go up to the line and it cranked for like 10-15 seconds and didnt start (my car usually starts right up ) so i gave it a shot of gas and it still didnt start. Tried flooring it and finally got it running but smelt raw fuel like maybe the reason was a no spark problem. Was clearing it out but felt like I was giving it gas and wasnt accepting fuel. Almost like a car that has a bad throttle assembly on a new car. Checked to see if accellerator pump was pumping and seemed to be good. Now as you guys know I have a gremlin in my car that give me hesitations and almost seems like its misfiring. Thats why I redid my fuel system. So the only thing that I havent played around with is the pickup because my distributor cant even have 500 miles on it. Now 2 weeks ago my  car ran like a rapped ape. I tell ya sometimes this sport can try your patients. While we are at it are the bowl gaskets for the quick fuel carbs the same as a regular holley, im assuming so but would like a conformation on that. By the way I did buy one from Jegs but you can get them from advanced. I called my part store and was surprised that they couldnt get it. I also have an S&K SPEEhere that I could have got it from. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:40:19 PM by Stangman »

FElony

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
I believe this is my cue to remind everyone that old-fangled points rule. Absolutely. No doubt about it. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 04:00:15 AM »
Seems to be more MSD trouble. I have an old Motorsport box built by MSD for Ford. These were popular in the late 80's, in NASCAR using a Duraspark distributor. I still use it on the F100 , still works 30 years later.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 06:30:04 AM »
Larry I had a unilite for 20 years no problems, then had one photocell go bad and couldnt keep one in there
went through 3 checked wiring couldnt find anything and had to move on. but never a hint of trouble for a long time

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
...........as I hold my breath over mine surviving a long time  :o.  I just put one in my blower car, I hope it is a good one, as it's about 5 yrs old to begin with.

I have dreaded removing the points, but you can't buy quality points/condensers anymore either?  This last set were weak, real weak.  Hardly get to 4K without it popping and snorting.  Ugh, thus I swapped it over to Unilite.  It absolutely SCREAMS now.  Hasn't run like this in 20 yrs.

The blower car, I run it off the pink wire(along with antique 6AL box(25 yr old).  Runs awesome.  The wagon I run it off full 12v, but it only runs for a few minutes at a time so it has not had any issues(glad season is over, as I just likely jinxed it now) for 20 yrs.
Larry

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »
Do thet sell unilites anymore. I thought msd bought them out . I geuss they will ruin that too.

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-3755301/overview/make/ford
They still make them, most all are for roller cams. Don't know if they are  crappy MSD quality or as good as the orginals.
Remember, RPM is your friend

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »
I bought a bunch of new Unilites cheap, maybe 25 years ago with that two
piece cap where the wires enter straight from the top. unfortunately
they are for Cleveland and 429/460

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 10:49:26 AM »
I've always done the pertonix conversion. I'm actually surprised to see so many people on here using unilites and I don't see as many people mention pertronix. There seems to be quite a bit of hassle with various ignition systems that (knock on wood) I don't tend to run into.

Here's a quick story...... Through high school and college I drove a '68 Ranchero daily. Had pertonix on it, with a pertonix coil (lasted the entire time I owned the car, minimum 9 years). My buddy was messing with me and pulled the coil wire off the distributor without me knowing, I hopped in and the car started right up. He jumped out quick and opened the hood completely surprised that it was actually running, he told me that the coil wire had an arc about 2-3 inches long to the distributor. He bought a pertonix setup for his Chevelle that night.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com