Author Topic: 1970 F250 Crew Cab Pickup  (Read 9009 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
1970 F250 Crew Cab Pickup
« on: August 31, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
My good friend Bradford and I grew up in Baudette Minnesota, right on the Canadian border. Bradford was born there, I moved up there with my family for my high school years. Recently Bradford and his son Alex were back in Baudette for a relative's wedding, and while there they drug home a new project. This 1970 F250 Crew Cab originally belonged to the CN ( Canadian National ) Railroad, and was FE powered. One of Bradford's brothers, Mark, owned it later, then parked it. Alex is now the new owner. Plans right now are just to get it running & driving again. When Bradford gets me the data plate info I'll post it here, and hopefully Alex will send away for the Marti report, I think it will be interesting, and we can post that later too. Bradford & Alex lurk on the forum here, hopefully they can add to this thread in the future as the project advances. Just for a little more on the history, Baudette Mn. is separated from Canada by the Rainy River, and right near Lake Of The Woods. The CN Railroad line enters Minnesota from the town of Rainy River Canada at Baudette, and runs through the U.S., under Lake Of The Woods, then reenters Canada at Warroad Mn. It is a much shorter route for the train to go under Lake Of The Woods and through the U.S. than to stay in Canada and go over Lake Of The Woods. There is a CN Railroad station in Baudette, although the CN closed it years ago, and it's now a museum. Here's some pictures of the truck, and a picture of the former train station in Baudette.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

gdaddy01

• View Profile
Re: 1970 F250 Crew Cab Pickup
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »
that is a good looking truck , nice comparison between new and old , even have camper shells  .  why do all of the old train stations look so good ?

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 02:09:34 AM »
Those are cool trucks and it looks to be 4 wheel drive too.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

AlexS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
Lurking I was and I finally succeeded in logging back in! I've known about the CN truck for a few years and had been trying to buy it from my uncle ever since I saw it. It was last registered in 1985 and was sitting in a field with a tree growing through the front end. Last weekend I was able to make a deal and we extracted it from the field. Plans for now are to just fix what's needed and get it driving again. I have a decent running 4 barrel 390 with C6 that came out of a 76 f250 that I scrapped out a few years ago that I plan to put in for the time being. I have a nice 1967 grille with brush guard that will be installed as well. It needs the usual cab mounts floor pans, core support, and inner fenders, some of which I have laying around, over all it's pretty rough but savable. I do plan on getting the Marti report, but was able to decipher some of the information on the data plate using the information on the fordification website. I know it's a 2x4 style side truck that came from the Ontario Canada plant, was built in June 1970, came with a 2 barrel 360 and c6 with a dana 60 4.10 listed as T.S. locking. The exterior color was left blank but the color in the door jams looks like calypso coral even though that color wasn't available on a truck until 1971. The DSO code is interesting and doesn't seem to match any of the listed locations. The model number and GVW also don't seem to match any of the listed options. I  found a couple of old cab cards laying on the floor, the one from 1971 is still readable. I'll try to post updates as the project continues. Here are a couple pictures of where it was the first time we saw it, along with the cab card, and grille that I have set aside for it.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:51:55 PM by AlexS »

1968 F-250 390 with clear valve covers!
1970 F-250 Crew Cab 390 (In Process)
1970 F250 4x4 EFI 460 (On Hold)
1961 F100 unibody short box (Not Started)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 09:12:16 AM »
Alex, glad you made it back to the forum.  That's a cool old truck, not too many of those around...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 09:31:11 AM »
That's a neat bumpside! And rare one too! Will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Kevin McCullah

AlexS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 01:37:16 AM »
Last weekend I started cleaning and disassembling the cab. While cleaning it out, I found a couple little bits of paper that looked like what was once a build sheet, I also found a cool CN knife behind the rear seat! I started with removing the seats and gas tank, the front seat is in tough shape,  the driver side is shreded down to the springs and the seat back is bent a bit. The rear seat is useable as is with a good cleaning, the vinyl is a little hard but will be ok for now. One of the rear seat belts was still wrapped in plastic and somewhat rolled up behind the seat. Then I looked up at the head liner above the rear seat and found some writing that says "What you looking up here for" I thought that was kind of funny. After removing the seat belts, door sill plates and rubber floor mats I pressure washed the inside of the cab. I found a nice clean hood on craigslist that was even the right color orange so I hopped in the 1968 F250 and picked it up for $50! I also managed to acquire a doner cab that has rust free factory cab mounts, along with some good firewall sections. Then a friend of mine was cleaning out his garage and gave me a nice bench seat out of a 90s ford truck, eventually I will fix the original seat, but this one is nice and will work for the time being. Throughout the week I started removing the front clip and placed an order for floor pans and inner rocker pannels. The inner rockers are pretty solid, but the top edge where the floor pan sits is gone in spots on the right side, left side isn't as bad. Today I finished removing the front clip, removed the heater box and the firewall insulation, Then pressure washed the front end and the rest of the underside of the truck. Some more rust was found in spots other than just the toe board above the floor pans, but the doner cab should have most of the needed patch sections. Next step is removing the cab mounts from the doner. Here are a few more pictures.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
Very very cool.
Popcorn out with drool.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

AlexS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
I've been slowly working on repairing the firewall and cab mounts. I haven't done a lot of body work so a lot of this is new to me and it's kind of slow going. I cut out the patch pannels I needed for the firewall along with the cab mounts. I sand blasted the mounts and firewall pieces then painted the insides of the cab mounts. I also recieved the floor pans and inner rockers, unfortunately the LMC inner rockers are wrong and look to fit 1973-1979 trucks but not even close to the 1967-1972s. The channel that the weather strip sits in is nearly a half inch taller then what it should be, and the rear where it kicks up has a protruding triangle stamping that should be flat. Unfortunately LMC is the only company to offer inner rockers so I'll either have to do a lot of cutting and welding on them, or see if I can salvage sections out of a rusty scrap truck I have. I really only needed a small section so I wasn't planning on using the entire pannel anyway. I decided to start on the slightly less rusty side, after I cut out the rusty firewall section and cab mount, I found some more rust by the floor vent where it meets the pinch weld seam. I cut out another patch section and welded it in. I sand blasted the inside of the air vent box and the pinch weld seems then primed and painted. I managed to get the firewall section fitted and welded in, but ran out of time tonight to get the cab mount welded in. Last week I ordered inner fenders, core support, and rubber cab mounts with hardware from Dennis Carpenter, so as soon as I get the cab fixed it should be ready for reassembly.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 10:26:19 PM »
Nice work! That rare cab is certainly worth the time.
Kevin McCullah

AlexS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 10:28:03 PM »
The driver side firewall section, floor pan, and cab mount are almost done. I cut the old floor pan out along with the rusty section of the inner rocker that the floor pan sits on, made a new inner rocker section and welded it in. The new floor pan didn't fit quite as nicely as I had hoped, but after some relief cuts and persuasion it didn't turn out too bad. I cut out the rotten cab mount frame bracket section and welded in a plate then cut a new hole. After pre fitting the cab mount a few times I ground down the welds on the outside of the floor pan, primed, seam sealed and painted. Tonight I finished grinding the rest of the welds, but I have a couple spots that I want to do some touch up welding on, then I'll start on the other side.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
Those are cool trucks. I have a 77 I'm currently building, and I've had a 66 and 70 before.

As much rust as that has, it's actually still pretty good as far as crewcabs go. Looks like the drip rails and roof skin are ok and those are the worst to repair and usually the first to start rusting! Cool project!

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 12:16:29 AM »
Cool project....I had a 73 F-250 (FE) for many years.I sold it in 2000 when I bought my 7.3 F-250...I have heard the 73 is back in my old home town again and doing just fine...Great trucks.....
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »
Nice work man! The rust in the floor was way bad. The pic of the rotted cab perch surprised me too. That truck spent it's winters on some seriously salty roads!
Kevin McCullah

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »
Neat project.

When I put a "new" cab on my 70 F100 about 30 yrs ago, I found the frame mounts in similar condition.  The rubber was holding everything together.  I didn't have a welder, so friend brought an old Hobart stick welder over and fixed up the frame mounts. I think bolted the southern cab on.  Sure is easy working on.

My '69 I've had for 30 yrs, I did replace the front cab mounts.   I pulled cab, set it on the rear wall in the garage on some carpet.  I cut the spotwelds and pulled the mounts off.   I had made a jig to relocate the holes in the right place.   Once it was jigged back up, I was only able to pop rivet it all together and then seam seal it.  I had no welder available back then.  I've love to tear it all apart and do it up properly.

Don't have any pictures from back then, other then the trucks themselves.
Larry