Author Topic: Unisteer rack and pinion steering  (Read 2678 times)

Katz427

• View Profile
Unisteer rack and pinion steering
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
Unisteer rack and pinion steering for a 1967 Ranchero. Has anyone installed one ? I want to modify the shock towers, but it is also tight by the steering box. Wondering if the rack opens up some room or creates other issues.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
Re: Unisteer rack and pinion steering
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 06:21:05 AM »
I am going to do electric power steering, it wont help the steering box space but will get rid of the pump and all the hoses, slave cylinder etc.

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 08:00:46 AM »
We just did one on a 1957 Fairlane, the brackets are OK but it drives odd and it does not turn vary sharp, we put a heavy duty sway bar on it and the brackets hang down low and ugly, I don't know if I would do it again. Leny Mason

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »
Its just a GM centerstearing rack from the small frontwheel drive
platform dont know the models in USA, Opel Kadett here. And
some brackets. Easy to build if you want to DIY, I have done several
Free up some space att the box but you still have the shaft there

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »
We just did one on a 1957 Fairlane, the brackets are OK but it drives odd and it does not turn vary sharp, we put a heavy duty sway bar on it and the brackets hang down low and ugly, I don't know if I would do it again. Leny Mason

Had a customer install something similar on his 69 GT500.  He seems OK with it, but to me it seems to drift around a lot & have considerable bump steer issues.  Not really impressed - other options seem better.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about all the steering racks that were replaced on those GM front drives. I did a couple myself for friends. Well maybe the borgeson setup is about the best , then just 'fit' everything around it. I have a Fairlane with the borgeson conversion and it drives fine.

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
There are some pitfalls using r&P to watch out for  . I think they all compromise steering radius.. This is due to a lack of travel. None of the racks available that i know of can cure that.. Second thing is geometry  Some guys want to connect the steering rods from the rack directly to the steering arm on the spindle  . That screws up your ackerman geometry and you will scrub off your tires in no time. For rear steer early fords, the best rack to use is the Chev Cavalier. It is a rear steer rack where the rack will connect to the existing center link to preserve the correct geometry. Bracketry attaches to the frame rails and centers the rack.. Remodeling of the steering shaft is necessary but you get rid of the lump that is the stock box and you can tuck the rack up out of the way.. You still lose turning radius but it is livable.
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »
Yes there is a lot about the geometry to dont get bumpstear to much to
write here .Yes the cavalier is the same J platform as Opel Kadett and SAAB
Audi have a similar rack also

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 05:44:08 PM »
Thanks again. Yes, Royce , that is a good point. All of the R&P are adapted from a different car, so compromise.  So that can be a problem, bothersome when parking.  I looked at the FPA headers, they fit  but 'tight', with a borgeson box.