Poll

What would be more interesting to see the results of?

7500 rpm hydraulic roller FE
49 (58.3%)
7500 rpm solid flat tappet FE build with low spring pressure and some "non-normal" parts combinations
35 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Voting closed: August 14, 2018, 12:23:19 PM

Author Topic: Poll: What would you rather see R&D on?  (Read 23264 times)

plovett

Re: Poll: What would you rather see R&D on?
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2018, 06:19:42 PM »
We all knew Brent was going to do the hydraulic roller from the get-go.   It's his time, money, and parts, so he doesn't have to justify it to us.  Plus, it makes more business sense since that is the direction things are going.  And it will be breaking more new ground.  Makes sense all the way around.

Even though I voted flat tappet, I will be very curious and grateful to see the results.

JMO,

paulie

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »
I had actually changed my mind.

I originally started this project as a hydraulic roller, that's why I had the cam. 

Started second guessing myself and started thinking about a solid roller, but knew that a hydraulic roller would produce more usable data. 

So I started the poll.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

FElony

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
What if you decided to do an all iron motor, with factory ford parts, maybe a 70s era aftermarket intake, and use modern pistons, cam, and maybe some fancy valve and port work?  Sounds grassroots to me :)

Leave a set of blue valve covers on it if it's not grassroots enough....

Close. Want a challenge? Take a dead stock '67 GT390 engine (C7 heads have the worst rep, so use those) including the iron S intake, blueprint it with cast pistons and a factory copy solid FLAT lifter cam, DIY porting, factory dual-screen GT air cleaner, points dizzy, and CJ exhaust manifolds. Put it into a middle weight intermediate stick car and fine tune the entire combination for the straight line. Let's see what that poor maligned 390 can do. Put the stock factory '18 GT's in your crosshairs.

Edit: Oh and don't forget to use umbrellas seals on the heads for PROPER oil to the valve stems. Don't want to flatten those lobes, do we?

Do it man, if that makes you feel groovy.  I'd love to see it.  You probably have all those parts laying around, just need to find a new home for the black widows

I would feel groovy. And, yes, I have every single darn part I mentioned, including a '67 GT stick car. I'm sure I can find a correct date code block/heads/intake after wading through piles of grassroots HR's, MR's, and CJ's.

The gang I used to run with in Cali was called the Black Widows, coincidentally. We were based out of Pacoima and were badass. Ever hear of us?

https://www.google.com/search?q=black+widows+in+arizona

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2018, 07:03:24 PM »

Right turn Clyde....
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

FElony

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2018, 07:04:23 PM »

I originally started this project as a hydraulic roller, that's why I had the cam. 

Started second guessing myself and started thinking about a solid roller, but knew that a hydraulic roller would produce more usable data. 

So I started the poll.

I have a new solid roller that came in a huge parts buyout a while back. I'm recollecting something like 250/260 and .625"/.640". Ish. I'm done afeared to use it on account of the lifters, which are whatever FPP was private labeling back in the 90's. I'm thinking almost guaranteed to fail? I dunno. An SFT stick with the same lift (ish) was in that stuff, too. Probably safer. Seller was going to put one or the other into this 1/2-fill A-scratch block with dome slugs and LeMans rods. Nicely ported H heads (!) with oversized FPP valves with triple springs and o-ringed with copper gaskets.

Um, is this still grassroots?

FElony

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »

Right turn Clyde....

HA! Ain't Google wunnerful?

FElony

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »
We all knew Brent was going to do the hydraulic roller from the get-go.   It's his time, money, and parts, so he doesn't have to justify it to us.  Plus, it makes more business sense since that is the direction things are going.  And it will be breaking more new ground.  Makes sense all the way around.

Even though I voted flat tappet, I will be very curious and grateful to see the results.

JMO,

paulie

Gosh, paulie, what a heart-warming left-wing sentiment from you!  :D  Here I was all set to tie Brent to the same bumper we just hitched Al Gore to, and you get all warm 'n' fuzzy. Guess I'll just kick you in the ovaries.

Camshaft diversity will be happiness for all!

plovett

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2018, 07:18:44 PM »

So I started the poll.

Well, I was pretty sure the direction it was going to go.  :)

FElony

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2018, 07:28:01 PM »

I do that hourly. Too many projects. Not enough brains.

plovett

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2018, 07:48:52 PM »

JMO,

paulie

Gosh, paulie, what a heart-warming left-wing sentiment from you!  :D  Here I was all set to tie Brent to the same bumper we just hitched Al Gore to, and you get all warm 'n' fuzzy. Guess I'll just kick you in the ovaries.

I was going to say that I guess I swing both ways, but that is pretty out of date.  I guess I'd have to say that I swing 63 ways now? 

FElony

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »

JMO,

paulie

I was going to say that I guess I swing both ways, but that is pretty out of date.  I guess I'd have to say that I swing 63 ways now?

63 genders is SO 2015. Can't you keep up, you straight white devil you? Want a good laugh? Look what I just found. I'm dyin' here.

https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/

plovett

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2018, 08:24:21 PM »
Okay, you got me.  I am laughing and crying.

I guess I better not say there are 4 types?  Hydraulic flat, hydraulic roller, solid flat, and solid roller?  What about the OHC guys that <gasp> don't even HAVE tappets?  Or the Desmodromic guys lacking <yikes> HALF their valvesprings?  It is indeed a minefield, with the mines constantly moving.

plovett

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
And I hate to think about guys using pneumatic devices!  Yeck! 

FElony

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2018, 08:45:01 PM »
Okay, you got me.  I am laughing and crying.

I guess I better not say there are 4 types?  Hydraulic flat, hydraulic roller, solid flat, and solid roller?  What about the OHC guys that <gasp> don't even HAVE tappets?  Or the Desmodromic guys lacking <yikes> HALF their valvesprings?  It is indeed a minefield, with the mines constantly moving.

You forgot the lunatic fringe of the SFT crowd... the hollow shell lifter groupies. They deserve their own gender, no?

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
Someday valves will be actuated electromagnetically like injectors.  Then all hell will break loose.