Author Topic: Mono leaf and CalTrac kit for street use  (Read 9652 times)

N2950H

• View Profile
Mono leaf and CalTrac kit for street use
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:28:15 PM »
I'm looking into options for making my 63 Galaxie boxtop hook when the new motor is complete.  It is currently completely stock but I know that's not going to work with 600-700hp.  I would love to put a mini-tub on it but I'm not sure yet if I have the appetite for cutting into this particular car just so I can put some 315 drag radials on some 10" wheels.  Still debating that.

In the meantime, I came across this  mono leaf springs and CalTrac traction bar kit.  I know it is billed as a street/strip kit, but is this a decent option for something that is being built primarily as a cruiser that will be occasionally ripped on in the streets?  I'm not going to be doing hard launches with any regularity but I want it to hook decently when I do romp on it.  What I absolutely don't want something that will seriously sacrifice ride quality when cruising.

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Mono leaf and CalTrac kit for street use
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »
I don't know how the Split Leaf rides myself ? But You can always  put your Cal Tracs on the stock springs if you don't like the ride , it still going to take a drag radial to make the Cal Tracs  work

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »
Depends what you mean by "ride quality". If you are talking about stiffness or harshness then you solve that with spring rate and shocks. So that isn't a big problem. Depending on how much work you are willing to do you can either slide under the car and adjust the shocks for street driving, and/or change the spring rate when going to the track.

If you include noise in the ride quality bucket then you'll have an issue. The Cal Trac setup has a bunch of moving parts which tend to rattle around while driving. So the back end of the car will sound like a bucket of bolts when you hit a bump.

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
I definitely would include noise in the ride quality bucket.  I'll have to get my hands on a pair to see if anything can be done about that.

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »
https://www.calvertracing.com/index.php
Just call and talk to the people at calvert themselves, on a 63 you have torch out the bottom of the box at the front of the leaf spring and then reinforce it. I have several sets on different cars and they are fine on the street.
Remember, RPM is your friend

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 03:50:57 PM »

If you include noise in the ride quality bucket then you'll have an issue. The Cal Trac setup has a bunch of moving parts which tend to rattle around while driving. So the back end of the car will sound like a bucket of bolts when you hit a bump.

I would say that statement is untrue. There are not "a bunch" of moving parts, there are a pair of rod ends on each end of the bar, they don't rattle, and the pivoting plate with the bar on the top that keeps the leaf spring from winding up. The CalTracs are adjustable for the amount of preload that you put in them, if you adjust them without preload ( clearance between the bar above the spring ) then you may occasionally hear as the bar contacts the spring. Most people I would guess have them adjusted with at least 0 or some preload. The main purpose of the CalTracs is to keep from spring wind up and the uncontrolled wheel hop that can occur, which can be dangerous and break parts. The CalTracs are not miracle workers - they aren't going to make you dead hook on the street with street tires on a 600hp car. They will help considerably and will eliminate wheel hop and cut down on broken parts. On the race track their performance has been proven.

I bought my first CalTracs over 20 years ago, Calvert didn't offer the mono leaf springs at that time, I have that car on the stock Ford leaf springs. I have mono leafs for the car I have going together now, I think they have some benefits, including the ability to change the spring sections to taylor to your vehicle and less weight. The CalTracs will stiffen the suspension, the amount will depend on how much preload you put in them.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »
I have the Cal-Tracs and monoleaf setup on three cars, all street driven, and only get an occasional clank from the back when going over big bumps, which I don't find objectionable.  The ride is fine with that setup, and the rear roll stiffness seems to be much improved over the stock leaf springs and shocks.  I would not hesitate to recommend them for any street car.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 04:17:19 PM »
Every car we have on the road has a set of the cal-tracs on it. For street use we back them off 1/2-1 turn from the engagement point. Ride quality suffers if you don't back the bars off to an un-engaged position. For track use, I adjust them 2 turns past the engagement point. Was told by Calvert that it's a good place to start for adjusting them, it's always worked so I've never gotten any more fancy that that for setting up the bars.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »
I love my caltracs. Ride is a little stiff but the adjustable shoxks help a lot.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

james

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »
I have the Cal-Tracs and monoleaf setup on three cars, all street driven, and only get an occasional clank from the back when going over big bumps, which I don't find objectionable.  The ride is fine with that setup, and the rear roll stiffness seems to be much improved over the stock leaf springs and shocks.  I would not hesitate to recommend them for any street car.

How good are they for launching/traction with a set of ET street tires? And what do you use for traction on the 3 cars pictured in all your post? Thanks!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 06:22:36 PM »
I think the Cal-Tracs are as good as you can get with a leaf spring setup.  The Mach 1 and the Galaxie use the Cal-Tracs, monoleaf springs, and Calvert Racing shocks.  The Shelby clone uses a four link setup.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

hyper64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
I have  Cal-Tracs on a 1964 Custom with a set of M/T 295/55 15 ET Street, car launches very well.

hyper64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 06:45:46 PM »
My car also has Calvert mono leaf springs, sliders, and Calvert single adjustable rear shocks. I'm with Jay simple system with a proven record.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
What is considered "acceptable" is a very subjective thing. What one person considers fine, another person might find very objectionable.

I have the split mono-leafs and CalTracs on my Mach 1. In my opinion, they do make the ride considerably harsher, even backed off on the engagement point. Adjustable shocks do help, but only to the extent of how much bouncing goes on after the initial shock of a bump or dip. In my case, I found double adjustable shocks were much better, being able to control extension and rebound. I switched from the standard Calvert shocks, to QA-1 double adjustables. Still, it's not anything close to what you'd feel on a stock type suspension. Stiffer springs are just part of the deal, and there's no way around the fact that it affects ride quality in a negative way. If you used soft springs with the Calverts, you're still going to get some wrap up between the roller and rear axle mount, which is kinda defeating the purpose of having them in the first place.

Having said that, I can live with them just fine. I don't mind the harsher ride, or the occasional noise from the roller contacting the springs. But the car is pretty noisey anyway with a roudy cam, headers and Borla mufflers. Performance muscle cars are supposed to be noisey though. ;)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 09:54:34 PM »
Mine are set for the track and I don't change anything for street driving.  They make no appreciable noise.  The right side has a bit of preload and the left is set for just tagging the spring with a full load in the front seat.  The only time they feel "loose" is when I lift after crossing the top end. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 11:33:36 AM by Falcon67 »