Author Topic: Starter Fix for the 153 tooth flywheel blues  (Read 1381 times)

Pontiac787

• View Profile
Starter Fix for the 153 tooth flywheel blues
« on: May 29, 2018, 10:11:00 AM »
I have a 1963 427 in Mustang that has been having "starter" issues over the last few years.  I would replace the starter only to have it start the car about 20 times before it would start free spinning.  The starter wouldn't engage with the flywheel.  After counting the teeth on the flywheel I found I had the 153 tooth version, not the more common post '64 184 tooth version.  After a few web searches I came across this article about John Vermeersch from Michigan who sells a Bendix gear for the 153 tooth flywheel that replaces the drive gear in the readily available 184 tooth starter.  This thing saved me a lot of grief and cost a whooping $35 shipped. 

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/easy-fix-avoid-1958-1964-big-block-ford-starter-failure/

You guys may be aware of this but I wanted to put it out there since it really saved the day for me.   

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Starter Fix for the 153 tooth flywheel blues
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 02:18:58 PM »
Good to know

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FElony

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
Johnny the V is the head of the Dearborn Mafia. Story has it that Johnny uses the profits from his parts biz to fund an incredible collection of switchblades, leather bomber jackets, and classic Florsheim Imperial shitkicker shoes, examples of which he dons whilst cruising about in his Galaxie. That's what I hear, anyway. Far be it from me to spread a rumor.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »
thanks for the heads up , I have passed on flywheels before , because of the difference