Author Topic: Mono leaf and CalTrac kit for street use  (Read 9693 times)

preaction

• View Profile
Re: Mono leaf and CalTrac kit for street use
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 11:27:59 PM »
Depends what you mean by "ride quality". If you are talking about stiffness or harshness then you solve that with spring rate and shocks. So that isn't a big problem. Depending on how much work you are willing to do you can either slide under the car and adjust the shocks for street driving, and/or change the spring rate when going to the track.

If you include noise in the ride quality bucket then you'll have an issue. The Cal Trac setup has a bunch of moving parts which tend to rattle around while driving. So the back end of the car will sound like a bucket of bolts when you hit a bump.
Either you don't have Cal tracks or you need to look under your car immediately.

Red Lehr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 05:16:51 AM »
Not to hi-jack this post , but I am also in the process of installing a set of Caltracs also at this time. These are going on my 64 Galaxie and I am using stock springs for the time being. My main concern is how others have reinforced the front spring box after cutting the bottom of the box out to fit the Caltrac bracket in there, or did you make a new front bracket to house the Caltracs....
We would greatly appreciate any pictures and description of what others have done to modify these 63-64  Galaxie front spring boxes.
The way it looks to me, you could cut the bottom of the box out and slip the Caltrac bracket up in there but the new bracket might need to be welded to the spring box for support ???
ALSO, what shocks or adjustable shocks work the best on this application ?
I've learned to ask before I do anything stupid....
Thanks as always for the help fellas....
Red
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:37:44 AM by Red Lehr »

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »
Could probably use section of rubber hose sliced on side and slide over the roller where it pushes against the spring.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
I've had mine since late 1996 , Jon made me different spacers for my skinny 63 Fairlane springs , I never run them with less than a 1/2 to 1 turn preload , you never know when your going to need them on street , I sure don't hear any noise over the exhaust or old style Detroit Locker .... I also cut and reinforced the front spring mount

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 11:30:16 AM »
Tubb it! :)

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »
Here's my exhaust - Tuned to eliminate any special noises from the suspension.   8)

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »
I don’t know what changes are made from stock when Cal-Tracs  go on a full size car but on an intermediate the rubber insulators go away as part of the install. That equals more noise/ harshness than a stock set-up. As stated above it is subjective, you may or may not get used to it. JMHO JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
Appreciate all the info guys, I think I'm going to give these a shot. 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »
Not to hi-jack this post , but I am also in the process of installing a set of Caltracs also at this time. These are going on my 64 Galaxie and I am using stock springs for the time being. My main concern is how others have reinforced the front spring box after cutting the bottom of the box out to fit the Caltrac bracket in there, or did you make a new front bracket to house the Caltracs....
We would greatly appreciate any pictures and description of what others have done to modify these 63-64  Galaxie front spring boxes.
The way it looks to me, you could cut the bottom of the box out and slip the Caltrac bracket up in there but the new bracket might need to be welded to the spring box for support ???
ALSO, what shocks or adjustable shocks work the best on this application ?
I've learned to ask before I do anything stupid....
Thanks as always for the help fellas....
Red

Red, the new bracket that comes with the Caltracs has to pivot, so you can't just weld it in place.  On my Galaxie I moved the rear leaf springs inboard for tire clearance so my setup is not going to be like yours.  If I were you, I think I'd cut the bottom of the leaf spring bracket away and then weld a reinforcement piece in over the top or front side, and then just leave the bottom open.  I basically did that on my car (although I cut the frame to move the spring inboard too), and it hasn't given me any trouble.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »
Several days after taking delivery of my then-new '64 Custom 427 combo, we went cruising---out to Ted's Drive-in at Woodward and Square Lake Road. After sitting for a while we left, and after turning south on Woodward, I put my 'foot in the fan' and power-shifted into second gear. Luckily, there was no one along side of me, because the rear spring wrap-up and unload caused the rear end to go sideways so significantly that the car had changed lanes by the time I had it straightened-out.

I bought a set of Traction Masters and installed them the next weekend. I never needed anything more to control the traction---even when running M&H Racemaster slicks---about all that would fit with the stock wheel tubs.

They might be an alternative to Cal-Tracs. They make no noise and don't change the ride.

KS

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
Yes, but like South Side Machine bars on a leaf car you can only "tune" them with shims.  The Cals require Rancho adjustable shocks for full benefit and between the bars and the shocks you have a lot of adjustment capability to bring the car around to what works for it. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »
There's also a little bit of a difference between a stock Lowriser (assuming it wasn't a factory lightweight Highriser?), and a built 600-700 HP stroker.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »
Since this car is primarily built for cruising, I'm not looking for max traction.  When I said I want it to hook, I just meant that I don't to have to feather the gas too much when doing a little spirited driving on the street.  Yes it's going to spin the tires, I know that.  I'm just trying to minimize it.

I realize there is only so much that can be done with DRs and stock-ish suspension...but I hope something like these CalTracs and 10" ET Streets will keep me happy on the street.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
but I hope something like these CalTracs and 10" ET Streets will keep me happy on the street.

It should be fine , ET Streets are so much better than regular street tires there is no comparison

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »
X2.  Soft compound, zero tread wear rating :)  I prefer the Hoosier DRs but either should work.