Author Topic: The New FordFE Forum  (Read 16452 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: The New FordFE Forum
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »
I never logged into Tap a Talk during the change-over, either, but when I asked a question about pictures, I got two e-mails with about six different links to go to.  They got my e-mail from somewhere and now the spam will increase again, no doubt.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 04:15:23 AM »
I never logged into Tap a Talk during the change-over, either, but when I asked a question about pictures, I got two e-mails with about six different links to go to.  They got my e-mail from somewhere and now the spam will increase again, no doubt.  Joe-JDC

That makes me not want to go back. They must have ability to hack into our Google accts.
Woody

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 05:09:47 AM »
Odd, since I've not received any solicitations, ads, etc. I do see though that logging on can sometimes simply not work or I get what essentially is an error message "bad connection" at their end.

Still, I do like what I see and teething problems, which usually occur with such a massive switch-over, are expected. Time will tell.

On a similar note, I've been the moderator over on the SBF 'Net 54 site for many years now with the same "Machoneman" screen name. Sadly, the site owner has never replied to my warnings of the impending shutdown. I can only guess he's elected to let years of great posts die off as '54 shuts down.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119417

Well, it was a good 17 year run over there and I hate to see it go but.....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:12:00 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »
Still, I do like what I see and teething problems, which usually occur with such a massive switch-over, are expected. Time will tell.

I'm one of the few that doesn't like it. It's harder to negotiate and very unappealing to the eye. Here, if there are new posts, they are easily seen on the front page, and the coloration is much easier on the eyes. Might seem like minor complaints to some, but it makes a big difference in my opinion.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FElony

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »
Some more homework turns up what appears to be this: Tap originated in China, with a domestic corporate office listed in Santa Monica, CA. Original filing in 2014, shows initial president to be Wong Tung Yat. The only return on that name is this: http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=1527 There were indications that Tap was going under right about a year ago. However, it surged and acquired other posting platforms besides N54 last year. Very incomplete info here:
https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/63996-04
It seems that Yat is out, but Tap is still run by the Chinese. Of course, we should rejoice over that, as our little yellow masters would NEVER think of hacking our mobile devices or computers to steal critical information. That is unheard of from China. Our buddies. Love us long time.

FElony

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
...On a similar note, I've been the moderator over on the SBF 'Net 54 site for many years now with the same "Machoneman" screen name. Sadly, the site owner has never replied to my warnings of the impending shutdown.

Maybe you can start a new SBF forum using the game plan used here, so people can zoom back and forth between the two without getting itchy and scratchy. What do you think of sbftech.com? Is there something better? Am I thinking things through?  ::)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »

I'm one of the few that doesn't like it. It's harder to negotiate and very unappealing to the eye. Here, if there are new posts, they are easily seen on the front page, and the coloration is much easier on the eyes. Might seem like minor complaints to some, but it makes a big difference in my opinion.

I don't care for it either, but loading pictures was very simple, quick.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 03:39:02 PM »
Very funny! You're getting better but....... ;D

Am I thinking things through?  ::)
Bob Maag

FElony

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »

You sidestepped my questions. Didn't think I'd notice, huh?

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »
Besides tap a talk the forum just doesn't seem fluid, herkey jerky so to speak I don't know of another forum anything like it and know I know why.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2018, 05:48:30 AM »
After checking in (been a long time) to the SBF Tech forum based on your tip, it is pretty slow over there with many old posts. I tried it some years ago but too many replies revealed a lot of ill-informed folks. It's too bad as giving clearly wrong, ill-advised and weird advice to others turned me off, for sure. Maybe that's changed but I doubt it.

You sidestepped my questions. Didn't think I'd notice, huh?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:10:26 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

FElony

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 04:44:07 PM »
After checking in (been a long time) to the SBF Tech forum based on you tip, it is pretty slow over there with many old posts. I tried it some years ago but too many replies revealed a lot of ill-informed folks. It's too bad as giving clearly wrong, ill-advised and weird advice to others turned me off, for sure. Maybe that's changed but I doubt it.

So, you are going to convince Jay to replace sbftech AND the N54 SBF forum with a subforum on this site? Awful lot of us have both. Would increase traffic and participation. C'mon, Linkmaster, you can do it.

FElony

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 06:08:07 PM »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 10:27:10 PM »

So, you are going to convince Jay to replace sbftech AND the N54 SBF forum with a subforum on this site? Awful lot of us have both. Would increase traffic and participation. C'mon, Linkmaster, you can do it.

It costs me about $100 per year to host this forum, and I get a lot more value out of it than that, so I'm happy to pay the bills.  Seems like there ought to be any number of small block Ford enthusiasts who could do the same thing for a small block Ford forum.  I've thought about adding a subforum for Y-Blocks and MELs, but it seems like it would be strange to go to fepower.net and look for Y-Block or MEL stuff.  Same for a small block forum.  Since the bar for a new web site and forum is so low it seems like any number of people could start one up for one of those engine families.  I suppose I could do it, but I'm just not all that interested in those other engines, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to do it.  Am I wrong about this?

By the way, I see that there are "membership" options that you can pay for on the new FordFE forum.  Blatant money grab, along with all those old "Donation" buttons.  These forums hardly cost anything to run, and I think its disingenuous to solicit money from the members, when they really don't cost the owner anything...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »
I've been hosting my Cleveland forum for quite a few years now.  We have about 350 members, lots of good dialogue.  FElony, you're welcome to hang out there.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports