Author Topic: Picking Cam For Electric Fuel Injection ?  (Read 30285 times)

plovett

Re: Picking Cam For Electric Fuel Injection ?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 09:55:18 PM »
Not necessarily any reason to be disappointed.  The cam you have is small.  The thing is, a cam is relatively easy and cheap to change.  By going to the 294S and 24 more degrees @ 0.050" you can gain a huge amount of power.  The rpm range will be moved up a lot which may or may not be what you want.  I'd guess you might gain 60+ hp with the bigger cam.  I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Of course as you mentioned you have to make sure the valvesprings are up to the task of more rpm.    You'll probably need different valvesprings.  Not a huge deal.

JMO,

paulie

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 09:49:13 AM »
Hi Paulie,
Yes, I'm not worried about the cost of a new cam, springs and pushrods, more though with the new computer system. Chad said with it and other parts needed it might be 3k, if I read him completely ?
I'd rather get it all, and all installed before putting the engine in the Cobra, but unless I find someone local that has a starting stand, I don't see it happening. May have to wait till next winter.

As far as this cam moving up the rpm powerband. I was amazed with the first engine that with the light weight of the Cobra, that it wouldn't off the tires at any low rpm. Now, I do have very hard tires, 331 gears, so that doesn't help. But traction is loose.

My point is, with it's light weight and going through the gears the rpm's come up very fast,....shifting very quickly, so having a intake & cam that come in at 1,500 rpm, is not an issue,

I know I'm whining here, but having my 10k and top end parts stolen 10 years ago, and just now getting my spirit back, with a small budget for a engine, clutch, steel bell and tranny, getting to driving her again means the world to me. Surving two near death health issues plus a heart attack, I want to be very happy with this engine. This type of injection is exciting as well !

So, I'm trying everything I can, to get the "best of all worlds" of engine and the fricken "Awesomeness",.....of the best muscle car ever built !  (be nice) lol.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 07:09:17 PM »
Don't get too disappointed, become a parts checker

With a stock head, Comp recommends the same spring for a 294S and a 270S, and there is no reason I know of that it would need different pushrods to swap those two cams.

The problem is, you don't have a stock head, so we don't know what the springs are.  Do a little measuring or bring the engine to someone and have a cam stabbed in it, have them check clearances, and check the valve springs for open and closed pressure.  This could literally be just the cost of the cam, a few gaskets, and a morning's worth of labor.

Chuck Willard has a dyno in Omaha that could run in the cam for you and give you a baseline.  Of course that means an intake and carb needs to be scrounged, but get er done!

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »
I assumed, that with taller lobes on that different cam that the pushrods would be too long ?
Lol,....I was coming on to ask if Jay or anyone could run the cam in for me !
That would solve the issue, at least the major issue.

How would Chuck run it in, does he have a FE ready to go, and any idea on cost ?

There is the local Ford club that always called every year to bring my Cobra to their car show. I could contact them asking for a intake & carb to loan me.

Yes, lets Get R Done ! 

(I actually met Larry and his wife walking in the country as I was looking for a lost dog. Really good people)

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 07:44:45 PM »
I assumed, that with taller lobes on that different cam that the pushrods would be too long ?
Lol,....I was coming on to ask if Jay or anyone could run the cam in for me !
That would solve the issue, at least the major issue.

How would Chuck run it in, does he have a FE ready to go, and any idea on cost ?

There is the local Ford club that always called every year to bring my Cobra to their car show. I could contact them asking for a intake & carb to loan me.

Yes, lets Get R Done ! 

(I actually met Larry and his wife walking in the country as I was looking for a lost dog. Really good people)

Chuck wouldn't run in the cam, he'd dyno your engine for you which includes breaking in the cam.  However, i cannot speak for him dynoing an engine he didn't build, maybe there is an engine dyno to run your engine closer to you?

Lift doesn't affect pushrod length.  In most cases, off the shelf cams are the same on the base circle (closed valve), that, as well as other parts determine the length of pushrod you need.  If the base circle doesn't change, which it shouldn't with two off the shelf Comp cams, the pushrod won't change
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »
I believe Chuck Spanel  in Lincoln, charges around $500 for a morning on the dyno. Too much.
Any idea how much your Chuck would charge ?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 06:10:54 AM »
I believe Chuck Spanel  in Lincoln, charges around $500 for a morning on the dyno. Too much.
Any idea how much your Chuck would charge ?

I don't think you'll find it any cheaper up here.  That sounds pretty reasonable.
Ross

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 11:27:29 AM »
Build your own test stand and break in the cam  by your self if you are
on a budget

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 07:35:30 PM »
I would build my own stand for that much money and cheaper. (Chuck is the man though) !   8)

I have a local FE guy that will loan me a 2 FE barrel intake.
Never seen one like it.
Does it require any Holley or what ?

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »
Build your own test stand and break in the cam  by your self if you are
on a budget

I even saw one made of wood.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 08:23:16 PM »
Autolite 2100 or holley

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 09:52:54 PM »
I'll try to search for the Autolite.
Do you have numbers for a Holley ?
Thank you..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:19:04 PM by 427HISS »

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
A local FE'er has a iron FE intake and a 4 barrel carb. Hope to pick it up today.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »
I'm excited that I can buy only the cam and lifters, saving money. I don't know what brand that Dove uses, should I get the kit that has the Comp timing gear & chain or not needed, use the installed one ?

No chain-  $210

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl33-246-4?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-comp-cams&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OPz9d702QIVUjyBCh39rQF5EAQYASABEgJniPD_BwE

With -$274

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk33-246-4
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:08:51 AM by 427HISS »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2018, 10:07:44 AM »
I'm excited that I can buy only the cam and lifters, saving money. I don't know what brand that Dove uses, should I get the kit that has the Comp timing gear & chain or not needed, use the installed one ?

No chain-  $210

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl33-246-4?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-comp-cams&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OPz9d702QIVUjyBCh39rQF5EAQYASABEgJniPD_BwE

With -$274

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk33-246-4

It seems like you misinterpreted something

- If your cam is not broken in, you don't need lifters, just buy the cam.  If the engine has run time, you do need lifters
- I see no reason to swap the timing set
- Did we determine your spring pressures yet?  Just because Comp uses the same springs in a stock Ford application doesn't AT ALL mean that Dove used the same springs  He could have used anything.  You NEED to check the springs, both installed height, closed pressure, and open pressure for the lift of the new cam or you are going to put metal through a brand new engine.  My guess is you will be OK, but it's just a guess, and guesses can bite HARD
Ross