Author Topic: 1 last project b4 I Quit . . 540" Twin Turbo Boss 9 for a daily pickup  (Read 22178 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
One thing I don't like about turbo setups is all the plumbing required under the hood.  When you have a really cool looking motor like a Boss 9 or a cammer, all that plumbing takes away from the underhood appeal, I think.  I have a twin turbo setup for my Galaxie, supposed to be good for 2000 HP, but I'm going to stick the turbos and intercoolers in the trunk.  That way the exhaust will exit to the back via normal headers, and one 4" pipe will come from the trunk, through the interior and up through the firewall to a rear mounted throttle body on a sheet metal intake, leaving the whole SOHC engine fully visible.  This approach will cost some power, but I figure I'll have power to burn anyway, since I don't plan to cage the car for anything faster than 8.50s.  You could do something similar with your truck, with the turbos in the box, and preserve the underhood appeal of the Boss motor...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
One thing I don't like about turbo setups is all the plumbing required under the hood.  When you have a really cool looking motor like a Boss 9 or a cammer, all that plumbing takes away from the underhood appeal, I think.  I have a twin turbo setup for my Galaxie, supposed to be good for 2000 HP, but I'm going to stick the turbos and intercoolers in the trunk.  That way the exhaust will exit to the back via normal headers, and one 4" pipe will come from the trunk, through the interior and up through the firewall to a rear mounted throttle body on a sheet metal intake, leaving the whole SOHC engine fully visible.  This approach will cost some power, but I figure I'll have power to burn anyway, since I don't plan to cage the car for anything faster than 8.50s.  You could do something similar with your truck, with the turbos in the box, and preserve the underhood appeal of the Boss motor...

Good idea Jay!  Nothing finalized yet until I get the heads so I can start fittin' everything. But, lots of room in the engine bay at least until I try fitting turbo's. LOL

427HISS

• View Profile
Is that an Eliminator block, or a Ford Motorsport?

C & C Motorsports 10.3 block

That block is beautiful !

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Is that an Eliminator block, or a Ford Motorsport?

C & C Motorsports 10.3 block

That block is beautiful !

I have a 351w on engine stand now. Soon as that's finished up will put the Alum Boss block on engine stand and get some better pics.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Good idea Jay!  Nothing finalized yet until I get the heads so I can start fittin' everything. But, lots of room in the engine bay at least until I try fitting turbo's. LOL

Even if you put them up under the bed in front of the rear wheels?  Lots of space if you run the headers down the inside of the frame rail, then the boost side on the outside up into the inner fenders and to the engine.

Back when I still had my '67 daily driver with 352/toploader I had dreams of finding a couple turbo coupe turbos and mounting them on upside down log manifolds(or custom headers) and making a real sleeper out of it.  Too bad the truck rotted to the ground long before that project got off the ground.  I don't think I want to mess with my '69 as that 428 has too much CR to put boost to it.
Larry

fekbmax

• View Profile
C n C motorsports makes a awesome block. Far better than the old ford motorsport blocks that had alot of issues with un finished oil galleys as well as out of alignment cam tunnel.  They resolved those issue's  but theres still a handful of those blocks out there. A good friend has a C n C motorsports  block in his 632CID 6.80 all motor top sportsman car. Heads are trick Flo A 460's only hand ported and a trick Flo cast 2×4 intake. Ram dual disk, lenco, etc. The block is really a great looking piece .
Rambling over..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Nightmist66

• View Profile

A good friend of mine has a twin turbo 427W Ranger. He put the turbos and intercooler in the bed. Charge pipe runs through the cab and over the trans tunnel. Here's a quick video of his setup and a few passes. Truck has run quicker and is street driven.

https://youtu.be/jOuoXeUXh1I
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
More Parts!
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 12:52:54 AM »
 :-\ ::) More parts trickling in . .

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:57:12 AM by TimeWarpF100 »

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Re: 1 last project b4 I Quit . . 540" Twin Turbo Boss 9 for a daily pickup
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 06:27:06 AM »
How far out is kaase, when ordering boss 9 heads?
Remember, RPM is your friend

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 07:36:25 AM »
Wow....nice looking stuff!
Larry

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »
Huh.... so that's a 289.....  :) cool, good luck Randy.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 07:20:18 PM »
How far out is kaase, when ordering boss 9 heads?

Ordered early January. Was told march then April then may

Finally got them last Friday.
They only make small runs at a time. 

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
Huh.... so that's a 289.....  :) cool, good luck Randy.

Valve covers fit a small block fine. Heads should too!