Author Topic: Starting to understand why building engines may be best left to the professional  (Read 116151 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
the drum brakes, even with the uber-bourgeois dual diaphragm booster and Chebby master, can get a bit sporty with a deep breathing 445.  :) 
those are drum brakes tho....  disc/drum setup with manual master is pretty freaking awesome.
I have this setup on my daily driver F100 and my 63.5 which also has a 445.  Only time I've ever seen this setup suck is with a stock convertor as it's annoying to hold the brake down at a redlight, but who runs a stock convertor?  :P

I was just teasing, my Mustang is manual disc, no issues at all. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
The bump side power brake boosters are small enough to allow tall FE valve covers R&R. I guesstimated a 20% shorter stopping distance from 120 to 0 when I did the factory 1973 disk on my 2wd I-Beam 65 F100. It still had some brake fade around 50 mph to 0 but not as bad as the drums did. The 73 backing plates were deeper and if I remember correctly used 3 1/2" shoes. I never toyed with an adjustable proportioning valve but easing some pressure the HAND operated parking brake gave the truck more stopping power.

The widest tire I have ran lately without power steering is 235. Trick is to keep the tire rolling. Even 1/4" a second on pavement and you can whip the wheel one handed. The 65 17" steering wheel helps to.

It is an F100 4WD with the flareside, interesting point - only 465 made in '69. I had to put a smaller steering wheel in to clear the bench seat I put in it. Didn't like the buckets because they sat so low my knees were near my ears. Yes a little roll helps, but with the 15 inch wheel there ain't no palming going on.

The booster out of the doner truck doesn't leave much room:

1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

chris401

The bump side power brake boosters are small enough to allow tall FE valve covers R&R. I guesstimated a 20% shorter stopping distance from 120 to 0 when I did the factory 1973 disk on my 2wd I-Beam 65 F100. It still had some brake fade around 50 mph to 0 but not as bad as the drums did. The 73 backing plates were deeper and if I remember correctly used 3 1/2" shoes. I never toyed with an adjustable proportioning valve but easing some pressure the HAND operated parking brake gave the truck more stopping power.

The widest tire I have ran lately without power steering is 235. Trick is to keep the tire rolling. Even 1/4" a second on pavement and you can whip the wheel one handed. The 65 17" steering wheel helps to.

It is an F100 4WD with the flareside, interesting point - only 465 made in '69. I had to put a smaller steering wheel in to clear the bench seat I put in it. Didn't like the buckets because they sat so low my knees were near my ears. Yes a little roll helps, but with the 15 inch wheel there ain't no palming going on.

The booster out of the doner truck doesn't leave much room:

Is that a 7" booster? I had stamped steel Ford MotorSports and M/T HP 427 valve covers. Yours look taller.

Heo

• View Profile
Those hydrobosters or what they are called
that you feed from the P/S pump
are pretty small i diameter

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Is that a 7" booster? I had stamped steel Ford MotorSports and M/T HP 427 valve covers. Yours look taller.

I think that is bigger than 7 inches, but I'm too lazy to go out and measure it right now. Probably an 8. The covers are Anson cast aluminium.

I had standard Ford stamped tin ones before, but on those valve covers the breather was on the front of the driver side cover, so it didn't really interfere. I do remember that I originally intended to use a set of Mercury covers since the last engine was a 410, but they were the pent style and didn't clear the booster.
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

chris401

The 69 F100 OEM booster I had was 7" on disc. That may not be the case in all applications.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Chris - I took it off a 40 year old truck. Who is to say what it really came off. We just used it cause it worked.

There is a good thread over on the FTE forum about putting a late model Explorer master cylinder and generic 7 inch booster on to an old F100. It looks pretty tidy and if I figure out the disc thing I think I may go that route. Opinions of my masculinity be damned.

Paul.

chris401

Chris - I took it off a 40 year old truck. Who is to say what it really came off. We just used it cause it worked.

There is a good thread over on the FTE forum about putting a late model Explorer master cylinder and generic 7 inch booster on to an old F100. It looks pretty tidy and if I figure out the disc thing I think I may go that route. Opinions of my masculinity be damned.
HaHa, can't speak for the others but I did swaps simular to yours. Went to late model cars and trucks. Now 25+ years latter I am right back to where I started at 16 where two speed wipers were a luxury.

According to Drew's view of power brakes it is befitting that I pulled mine off the F100. As the middle class disappears so should our luxuries.

WORD OF THE DAY: bour·geois
bo͝orˈZHwä,ˈbo͝orZHwä/Submit
adjective
of or characteristic of the middle class, typically with reference to its perceived materialistic values or conventional attitudes.
"a rich, bored, bourgeois family"
synonyms:   middle-class, propertied; More
noun
a bourgeois person.
"a self-confessed and proud bourgeois"
synonyms:   member of the middle class, property owner
"a proud bourgeois"
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:37:15 AM by chris401 »

My427stang

• View Profile
Here is mine, it was under 100 bucks off Ebay, master cylinder included.  Lines worked fine but had to switch the line nuts front to back.  No adapter fittings required.

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
According to Drew's view of power brakes it is befitting that I pulled mine off the F100. As the middle class disappears so should our luxuries.

hehehe :P 
At some point someone will invent air conditioning for cars and trucks, and do away with roll up windows.  We'll be in trouble at that point and won't be able to afford new vehicles.  Good thing that isn't a reality yet.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
I still have to get over losing the "no draft" windows. Where are you supposed to flick your cigar ash?

Paul.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
The loss of vent windows.................the downfall of mankind............ ;)
That is why I like my '95 F150.  Still have vent windows!  Along with my '69 F100, my '64 Galaxies, and my '59 Mack.
Larry

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Lucky me.... I can just ash on the floor and no one would notice.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Fair bit of mine ends up there, combination of bouncy ride, old farmer 4-speed, and not very precise steering means I often don't quite get around to flicking soon enough. It is a truck, don't matter how shiny.

Still nice to have the option.

Paul.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Huge winds and rain blew through here yesterday, will start it and advance to 20 today and see what it does to the vacuum.

When it warms up a bit I'll start the truck and try the timing out at 20 degrees. If I like the idle and vacuum I'll modify the distributor from there. I went back through my notes and the distributor as it sits has 21 degrees of mechanical advance, so that would make 41 degrees if I don't change it.

At 20 degrees, if I want 12 degrees of mechanical advance for a total advance of 32, I'll need a slot of .26 inches.

I am curious about one thing - I understand the big block GMs like total advance in the high 30's. I also understand that if combustion starts too early it will both get too hot and press back on the face of the piston too hard and risk blowing a hole. Too late and the piston will be moving away and peak compression will be lost.

Why do the GMs like more advance than the Fords? This is just me wondering.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:56:07 AM by Yellow Truck »

Paul.