Author Topic: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake  (Read 96235 times)

andyf

• View Profile
Re: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2018, 05:05:24 PM »
That is good insight Scott and I think you are spot on. I was pretty sure I had the cam timing correct for the build but I did not know if the street roller lobes would be a good match for these heads. I took a gamble on that since I figured the 1.76 rocker arms would speed them up enough to work. I'm sure there is power left on the table with this build but it is going into a street car so I don't think anyone involved really cares. The street roller lobes should be a good fit for intended use of the engine.

On my Mopar dyno mules I spend a fair amount of time trying different lobe profiles and different rocker arm ratios to see what works. Sometimes I find something that works and sometimes I don't. Billy Godbold just sent me a cam with some new lobes for my 470 engine so we'll get that on the dyno in a week or two to see if it picks up some power. The more aggressive lobes sometimes pick up power and sometimes they don't. I'm not smart enough to know when they'll work and when they won't. I did an infamous article for Car Craft last year where I spent a ton of time (and money) testing all sorts of different rocker arm ratios and had zero power difference between them. That was a case where the engine did not want more aggressive valve action or more lift. It just didn't care.

scott foxwell

« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »
That is good insight Scott and I think you are spot on. I was pretty sure I had the cam timing correct for the build but I did not know if the street roller lobes would be a good match for these heads. I took a gamble on that since I figured the 1.76 rocker arms would speed them up enough to work. I'm sure there is power left on the table with this build but it is going into a street car so I don't think anyone involved really cares. The street roller lobes should be a good fit for intended use of the engine.

On my Mopar dyno mules I spend a fair amount of time trying different lobe profiles and different rocker arm ratios to see what works. Sometimes I find something that works and sometimes I don't. Billy Godbold just sent me a cam with some new lobes for my 470 engine so we'll get that on the dyno in a week or two to see if it picks up some power. The more aggressive lobes sometimes pick up power and sometimes they don't. I'm not smart enough to know when they'll work and when they won't. I did an infamous article for Car Craft last year where I spent a ton of time (and money) testing all sorts of different rocker arm ratios and had zero power difference between them. That was a case where the engine did not want more aggressive valve action or more lift. It just didn't care.
The thing is, at every degree of lift there is a demand that we're trying to meet. Peak demand is usually somewhere around 76* ATDC. If you meet the demand, there's no need for more lift. At that point the valve simply has to continue on it's path...you can't just stop it suddenly, hold it there, and then close it when you need to but more lift from that point, thinking you're going to get more air into the engine, is a myth. You can open a valve too fast.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2018, 06:04:52 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the "right" cam would be for these heads. I picked the cam before the heads were shipping so there wasn't any data to go on. I had a rough idea of how well they would flow but I didn't have any engineering information about the heads. I think my guess ended up pretty close to the mark but I'm sure guys like you can do a better job once you spend some time with the heads and see what they really want. My goal was to have the first engine running with the Trick Flow heads on them so I had to order all of my parts before the heads even shipped.

I did talk to a few people about the cam profile. I sent Barry an email on the cam and he gave me some feedback. I used the Rick Jones model and I usually build the engine in PipeMax as well. So if you do all of that you usually end up in the right zip code.

scott foxwell

« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2018, 07:22:23 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the "right" cam would be for these heads. I picked the cam before the heads were shipping so there wasn't any data to go on. I had a rough idea of how well they would flow but I didn't have any engineering information about the heads. I think my guess ended up pretty close to the mark but I'm sure guys like you can do a better job once you spend some time with the heads and see what they really want. My goal was to have the first engine running with the Trick Flow heads on them so I had to order all of my parts before the heads even shipped.

I did talk to a few people about the cam profile. I sent Barry an email on the cam and he gave me some feedback. I used the Rick Jones model and I usually build the engine in PipeMax as well. So if you do all of that you usually end up in the right zip code.
I'd say you had the right address... 8)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
Got my set in yesterday.  Intake ports measure 169.8cc.  Chambers measure 69.8cc.  No inserts in the exhaust manifold/header bolt holes. 

Will flow one as soon as I get time. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

390fe

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »
anyone have dyno results on a 390 with these heads

390fe

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »
any dyno results on a 390 with trick flow heads

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »
Not yet, but coming.  I have one that is almost complete.
Blair Patrick

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2018, 06:42:42 AM »
I've got a 390 build in the works that mine will go on, but it will be a few months before it's completed. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

plovett

« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2018, 08:10:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Blair and Brent.  It will be enlightening to see your results.

Royce

• View Profile
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »
Not yet, but coming.  I have one that is almost complete.

Did you decide to mess with the port at all? Or just bolt on?
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »
Check out the look down the port through the manifold. Interesting.

Weird, I couldn't get all the pics to come up in the link Royce posted. Try this.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-tested-make-700-hp-trick-flows-new-fe-heads/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:23:05 AM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
Very cool! 1.46 hp/CID. 1.33 lbs/ft per CID. Smokin!

I did note though the intake port looks to heavily CNC'ed, like to the max. Point being what would be the cost of such heavily worked heads?
Bob Maag

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
That's the surprising bit, they're ~$1900 or so depending on which springs/retainers you want with them.