Author Topic: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake  (Read 96156 times)

sumfoo1

• View Profile
Re: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake
« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
I'm as interested in that comp rocker setup. But I can't find it anywhere.

Used to be t&d or bust on an engine with this kind of power lift etc.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2018, 06:36:17 PM »
I'm as interested in that comp rocker setup. But I can't find it anywhere.

Both Jegs and Summit have the Comp rocker arms:  http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/19046/10002/-1

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »

The Comp setup does nothing to insure you won't pull a rocker stand stud out.   Power and lift doesn't necessitate the rocker arm system.   Spring pressure and rpm will be the biggest deciding factors. 

As a matter of fact, the T&D street rockers won't insure that you won't pull a stud out either.  The T&D race setup is your only bet against higher spring pressures.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:55:34 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
Just got info on the latest build at my local shop.   464ci 428 with TF heads, .630 hyd roller(246 @ 50), 11:1 pump gas with I think a Victor Jr, tri Y headers.  610 hp at 6200, 580 ft/lb at 4500.  Nice streetcar motor.

Compared to:
My 462ci, .63 flat tappet, 12.5:1, tunnel wedge, 625 hp at 6500, 590 ft lb at 4000 rpm with 20 yr old Eds with hand port job that flows 280/220(same as Barry's heads).

Larry

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2018, 02:00:46 PM »
Nice build.  It compares pretty well with the better BBM/Survival builds done with bowl blended heads, pretty much as expected. 

If the Tri-Ys are normal 1 3/4" size, suspect it would pick up a bit with more primary, maybe 10-15hp SWAG. 

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »
Ya, they thing a bigger tube would help.  They'd like to try it with a tunnelwedge too.  I get the run around every weekend when I stop in and they want me to put a set on the wagon motor.  Cha-ching......along with a roller cam!  I like my dump truck motor just the way it is.

Larry

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »
Yeah, not sure spending $3200 - 3500 or so between heads, lifters, pushrods, cam....and maybe going .2sec faster if you're lucky makes much sense  :)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2018, 11:16:23 PM »
Just got info on the latest build at my local shop.   464ci 428 with TF heads, .630 hyd roller(246 @ 50), 11:1 pump gas with I think a Victor Jr, tri Y headers.  610 hp at 6200, 580 ft/lb at 4500.  Nice streetcar motor.

Compared to:
My 462ci, .63 flat tappet, 12.5:1, tunnel wedge, 625 hp at 6500, 590 ft lb at 4000 rpm with 20 yr old Eds with hand port job that flows 280/220(same as Barry's heads).
Was there any mention of having to use the very thin Cometic intake gaskets? Using a 0.020" intake gasket would be a little disconcerting to me.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2018, 08:35:27 AM »
Yeah, not sure spending $3200 - 3500 or so between heads, lifters, pushrods, cam....and maybe going .2sec faster if you're lucky makes much sense  :)

Lucky for me I never fell in that hole of "I have to go FASTER FASTER!!"

Alan, I have to ask about the head gasket.  Don't really know.  Last weekend they were going to dyno it but had two lifters that would not pump up.   They had the intake off and waiting on replacement lifters.  Got a text the other evening that they made pulls and was given the results.
Larry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
I'm not sure this HR article on the new TFS heads was posted here. Oh, well, if so here it is again......

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-tested-make-700-hp-trick-flows-new-fe-heads/
Bob Maag

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2018, 12:34:09 PM »
That is a nice article!

Felonious79

« Reply #251 on: April 27, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
Any updates on these heads as of late?  I have a set bolted to my Survival built 445 short block that will hopefully be going on the dyno in the next couple weeks.  Waiting on the machine shop to mill my intake. These shops can’t ever seem to get you your parts quick enough. 

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 27, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »
Any updates on these heads as of late?  I have a set bolted to my Survival built 445 short block that will hopefully be going on the dyno in the next couple weeks.  Waiting on the machine shop to mill my intake. These shops can’t ever seem to get you your parts quick enough.
You are the second person I have read about that has had to have their intake milled or use very thin intake gaskets to get their intake to fit properly. I wonder if this is a common theme with these heads. I have a set that I haven't bolted on yet. I will probably try a couple of different intakes but I don't want to have them milled to fit the heads. I guess time will tell.

Felonious79

« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2018, 07:37:21 AM »
Yeah, I think it’s a sure bet to need to mill the intake. I have a Edlebrock rpm intake and have to mill it .045”.  With out the mill, I would have needed a .020 gasket which would never last on a street motor.  The guy that built that 700hp motor went with the .020” gasket. I did have the Edelbrock rpm heads bolted on at first and my intake fit perfectly, but I found that I needed to shim my valve train up .030”!!  I wasn’t cool with that, so head swap it was.  Choose your poison I suppose.  I am using the new comp cans gold rocker setup btw. 

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #254 on: April 28, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »
You are the second person I have read about that has had to have their intake milled or use very thin intake gaskets to get their intake to fit properly. I wonder if this is a common theme with these heads. I have a set that I haven't bolted on yet. I will probably try a couple of different intakes but I don't want to have them milled to fit the heads. I guess time will tell.

Alan, it's not the heads.  It's a fairly common theme to have to cut the intake with any heads or setup.  I have to cut the flanges on about 75% of the FE's I build.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports