Author Topic: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake  (Read 96230 times)

andyf

• View Profile
Re: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2017, 11:52:24 PM »
I'm using the XR292R which uses the Xtreme Energy lobes 4876/4877 on 110 centers. I think the catalog cams for the FE use the High Energy Street Roller lobes. The 288R would use #1476 which is 244 duration in my old lobe catalog but it might have changed since then.

The XR292R is 254/260 at 050 and had .388 / .392 lobe lift. I'm using the Comp 19046 rocker arms so lift will be around 0.670 inches.

plovett

« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2017, 06:07:09 AM »
I'm using the XR292R which uses the Xtreme Energy lobes 4876/4877 on 110 centers. I think the catalog cams for the FE use the High Energy Street Roller lobes. The 288R would use #1476 which is 244 duration in my old lobe catalog but it might have changed since then.

The XR292R is 254/260 at 050 and had .388 / .392 lobe lift. I'm using the Comp 19046 rocker arms so lift will be around 0.670 inches.

Thanks!

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2017, 10:45:14 PM »
My heads showed up today. They look great! Very nice looking machine work. Should have the engine up and running in a couple of weeks.

scott foxwell

« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2017, 07:48:14 AM »
Sure like to hear their explanation for the vein in the floor. I wanted to get by the TF booth this year at PRI but never made it. Heads look good. Just...that vein...

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2017, 08:38:34 AM »
The top of that vane would have a larger radius than the short turn.  Do you suppose that might help keep the flow attached to the short turn more effectively than a flat floor?

Could also be just a marketing gimimick.  "Ooooo, look at that vane on the floor!  Must be high tech..."  ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »
I've seen similar "biased" intake port floors. Vizard touched on it in one of his books. Seemed like it was a feature that helped in chiverlay ports. Never seen it incorporated into a FE though.  ???
Kevin McCullah

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2017, 11:14:26 AM »
I wondering who will be the first to grind it out ?

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
My initial thought was that it was "dead space". If that area of the port isn't gaining you any flow then it may as well be filled back in?
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

scott foxwell

« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »
The top of that vane would have a larger radius than the short turn.  Do you suppose that might help keep the flow attached to the short turn more effectively than a flat floor?

Could also be just a marketing gimimick.  "Ooooo, look at that vane on the floor!  Must be high tech..."  ;D
I'm thinking more your second guess. Based on what I'm learning about it (according to Darin Morgan and others) it's a wet flow thing, not a cfm thing. I've played with it on the flow bench on several different ports and never seen any airflow gains that I could attribute directly to the vein. It's not an area thing... lots of places to manipulate area and airflow in a port. Not a swirl thing, that doesn't happen on the floor and s/t in a way the vein would effect it. For wet flow, it sounds like some port architectures respond to it, some don't which is common sense but you don't just go throwing a vein down the middle of the port and say viola! Other areas in the port need to be addressed to compliment the vein and again, this is doing wet flow development, not on a typical dry bench. If TF has done all this R&D and found this vein to work in this port, then hats off to them but I have to say I don't see anyone else with one in their port and there are some really healthy, good working FE ports out there that seem to make some good power. That's my take...

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »
As for the rise in the floor KMcCullah I believe is right had a set of snowflake heads off of a 509 BBC
that my dad bought off of a friend of his and the rise is a good 1/2 inch high maybe a smidge more
its very thin and smooth alot of time must have gone into it. But lets get off of the chevy stuff got alittle
queezy feelin

scott foxwell

« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »
As for the rise in the floor KMcCullah I believe is right had a set of snowflake heads off of a 509 BBC
that my dad bought off of a friend of his and the rise is a good 1/2 inch high maybe a smidge more
its very thin and smooth alot of time must have gone into it. But lets get off of the chevy stuff got alittle
queezy feelin
Has nothing to do with Chevy, Ford or any other emblem. Port has no idea what's name is on it.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2017, 07:26:44 PM »
I understand but what Im saying is I have seen this rise in the floor and way higher and neater than trick flows head. I understand that it doesnt matter which head it is, it just so happens that thats the one i had

cwhitney

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2017, 09:10:29 PM »
The new Ford racing Z2 heads for a small block have a similar vane in the ports.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »
Got the heads mocked up on the 482 shortblock. Manifolds bolt on okay, gaskets seem to line up pretty well, intake bolts on, etc. Might need some minor tweaking here or there but shouldn't take a bunch of work.

The valve springs are for a hyd roller even though the heads come with Ti retainers. I don't understand the thinking behind that so we'll need to swap on some solid roller cam springs and then use the hyd roller springs on a different engine. Trick Flow usually puts solid roller springs on the heads that have Ti retainers but guess they didn't think anyone would want to run a solid roller FE??
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:21:15 PM by andyf »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »
The friend that made my heads do a lot of highend Rally and Rallycross
engines where you have over 2hp/cu in NA. And he have a lot of heads laying around
 in different stages of progress, some have vanes similar to that but as i remember it they are in the
roof he said its for start early to guide the air  around the valve spindle
He said some ports react positive to it some don't

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it